It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

President Obama on Tuesday said he cannot guarantee that retirees will receive their Social Security checks August 3 if Democrats and Republicans in Washington do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks.

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.

The Obama administration and many economists have warned of economic catastrophe if the United States does not raise the amount it is legally allowed to borrow by August 2.

Source

I can only imagine the revolt in the streets this would cause if the checks do not go out.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

He may stop those checks
but I bet welfare checks go out.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Riots in the streets..all us elderly folks protesting and shakeing our canes!!!
Seriously if this happens it will hit the fan i garontee !!!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am a disabled older woman - at present completely dependent on my SS check (no more savings, home, etc). And I say - if the checks being stopped finally tip our culture into ACTION and determination that enough is enough I would gladly become homeless.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Three meals missed guarantees a riot. Americans going Greek.
edit on 12-7-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

It's funny because remember last time when the government or republicans wanted to shut the government down which would mean the military not getting paid or atleast paid on time? They were booed by the democrats for being unrealistic...now shoes on the other foot and Obama is threatening to hold social security checks..see a pattern of fear that each one tries to instill...such a crock...and such fear mongering tactics...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

I'm sure the President could come up with some more cuts so people do not have to go without a meal or two...how about stopping immediately all oversea's aid??
edit on 12-7-2011 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Congress is also considering giving the "power of purse" to the white house. Hopefully American's don't swallow this tall long glass of bull# just to get their Social Security cheques on time. However, I'm sure that there are many that desperately need that check to arrive on time.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If what your President is saying is true........America has become a third world country!

I feel sorry for you

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Existing Thread Here

Please direct comments to the existing thread. This one will be closed.

top topics

join