It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reflections of a Tree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Reflections of a Tree

Here I stand. Can you not see my deep meditation? In my example holds the understandings of existence. Look deeply, for the answers you seek are with me. Apply concepts of reasoning here and you will never see the truth before your eyes.

What are the understandings and truths I speak of? If you must question, you are heading in the wrong direction. If you 'know' the answers, you are deaf, dumb, and blind. How is it so? It just is.

Notice my posture. I am solid and strong, yet I am fully relaxed and at peace. I am confident in my being, yet I am void of pride. My size is awe-inspiring, yet I have a calm that allows me to sway to and fro with the wind.... the gentle breeze or the monstrous gusts, I receive them equally without judgement.

I accept freely from the bountiful sun. I consume water and nutrients as I need, without excess or waste. My roots, or body, or branches may encounter others, but I am gentle in my growth and only seek a harmonious balance with my surroundings. I will twist, bend, and curve around, under, or over obstacles, without want of securing my development through brute force or destruction.

I live an existence geared towards the service of others. Even before my own well being I freely sacrifice for others. Look and you will see! I selflessly clean the air for the benefit of the world. Multitudes of plant-life, insects, birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians live freely on, in, and around me. I give cooling shade to those that seek refugee under me, as I accept the harsh rays of Sol for your benefit. I even stand firm to soften the powerful winds so that those behind me endure less.

A mosquito bites you then you slap it dead. Because I do not do such things, do you doubt my awareness or my life force? I feel the animals and insects dig into my body. I am aware when my leaves or wood is eaten. When words are carved into me I bleed... do you not understand my capacity to feel pain? I sleep at night, my leaves follow the sun throughout the day, and I hibernate in the winter. I am alive. I am aware. Learn from my example.

Since my beginnings I have never been unhappy with my life, nor have I wished for more than I have. I was born in this spot, and in this spot so shall I die. There is no escape or hiding place for me. I stand here... I grow, I age, the weather changes, and so does the world around me. A lightening bolt may strike me. A fire may rage around or devour me. Termites may infest and weaken me. Animals may injure me, and humans may cut my life short. I am not happy to be hurt, however, I am joyous and content through it all. Do you not understand why?

I could waste lots of time trapped in the pain of old wounds. I could worry about what tomorrow brings. I could become discontent by wishing for a new life or even a change of scenery. I could spend energy wanting that which I do not have. I could hold grudges, anger, and hate in my heart. I could do these things, but I never have and I never will. Even after I face the torment of nature, animals, or humans, I still stand tall and endure on. I keep no scores you see, for after I am hurt, I still carry on with my selflessness of providing for others. If you can look deeply, you will find infinite Love and Forgiveness in my example.

I may live for hundreds of years, and many of my relatives have lived for thousands! Yet I do not hope for eternal life, nor do I fear death. Even in my death I provide for others, isn't it wonderful!? My fallen and decaying body will provide food and homes for many creeping and crawling insects. My fragments will become nutrient-rich soil for others to use. My death will benefit new forms and new life just as much as my living. I am a part of a system much larger than my comprehension, yet I am aware of it.

I could never live or survive on my own, for I am dependent on everything in existence, as is everything dependent on me. Am I a tree or a forest? If you can not plainly see, I am both. I am an individual that is a mere fraction of the whole. I am the whole, yet I experience from my individual perspective. Though I appear to be separate, nothing is separate.

I live my life as you create false labels of good fortune and misfortune... as you are trapped in the past and dream of the future. Have you not learned from my humble example? I am a tree, and even I understand that there is no past nor any future, these are only concepts of perspective. All of the events of my life that you may falsely label as unfair or misfortune are easily overcome. I exist 'now.' No past, no future... only now.
To Be... to Experience.

Can you not see my deep meditation?
I am alive.
I am aware.
Learn from my example.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I sit with trees in peaceful solitude. I place my hands on them and exchange energies. I stand amongst them with my arms outstretched towards the sun. I contemplate and meditate in their midst.

This is only a fraction of the insights that trees have taught me about existence. May it benefit you and bring you Peace.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have respect for trees, and I often contemplate their purpose in nature. Trees do set a good example for us and they are an excellent display of "sacred geometry".

However, I am not sure how "aware" they really are.

Otherwise, I enjoyed your thread.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I wonder if when we make an ascension to infinity, our being is reflected and expressed in this realm as the being of a tree while in the higher realm, we are very mentally active as angels.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Thank you, Sahabi. That's a very nice meditation, and it did bring me peace. Sometimes people ask me "what have you been doing with yourself?" I often answer, "watching the grass grow." They laugh, and I chuckle with them, but very few know the peaceful solitude of doing just that - watching plants grow and be what they are. Teachers are all around us.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Peace to you friend. This is my belief about trees. Enjoy haha

"I know every rock and tree and creature, has a life, has a spirit, has a name."

[Colors Of The Wind - Pocahontas]

Do your truths only leave room for human consciousness?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

Do your truths only leave room for human consciousness?

What do you mean? What truths?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamingsFree

Hello DreamingsFree. There are indeed teachers all around us. Most of my insights this year have come from observing nature. "A fool learns from no one while a wise man learns from everyone." I believe this principle applies to learning from every thing, not just 'everyone'. I am happy you enjoyed the op. May Peace be with you

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Look at the incredibly large scope of animals, plant life, microbes, and substances here on this small planet we call Earth. Take into consideration all that has been before our present moment. Consider the same in regards to our solar system, the many solar systems, our galaxy, the many galaxies, our universe, and beyond!

Do you think awareness and consciousness is limited to the human mind alone?
Do you look deeply into animals, insects, or plant life? Do you believe they are conscious or aware? Or do you believe they all are born, grow, live, act, and react only according to programmed instincts?

This is what was meant by my initial question to you. I could explain my understandings for comparison if you would like.

Then you asked me, "what truths?"

Your own personal truths based upon your own personal discernment, experience, and the law of relativity. I know you often say that you have the 'ultimate truth,' although I accept that as your ultimate truth, it is not my 'ultimate truth.' I believe that existence is so overwhelmingly vast that no human mind can possibly comprehend it's completeness nor it's total glory. No matter what any one person's level of wisdom or insight may be above another, there is only perspective and relativity. There is no 'ultimate' truth on the level of us humans. There is only personal Truth based upon our own personal relativity of it.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm observant as a dreamer ,but different from a tree. For trees are stoic and lack passion.

Sometimes trees have more to say than humans. That's saying something.

Trees do sense feelings and they're also influenced by the stars.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Look at the incredibly large scope of animals, plant life, microbes, and substances here on this small planet we call Earth. Take into consideration all that has been before our present moment. Consider the same in regards to our solar system, the many solar systems, our galaxy, the many galaxies, our universe, and beyond!

Do you think awareness and consciousness is limited to the human mind alone?
Do you look deeply into animals, insects, or plant life? Do you believe they are conscious or aware? Or do you believe they all are born, grow, live, act, and react only according to programmed instincts?

This is what was meant by my initial question to you. I could explain my understandings for comparison if you would like.

Of course I know they're aware, everyone knows that. I also know of 5 different species that are self-aware. I also know that we humans further the veil of dualistic illusion by our submersion in materialism thus creating a false sense of self. Moreover, every being in existence has a false sense of self because they are subject to the illusion of duality. They think they are male and female, but those concepts exist as one in the absolute, therefore their mindset of dualistic separation is an incomplete perception.

Then you asked me, "what truths?"

Your own personal truths based upon your own personal discernment, experience, and the law of relativity. I know you often say that you have the 'ultimate truth,' although I accept that as your ultimate truth, it is not my 'ultimate truth.' I believe that existence is so overwhelmingly vast that no human mind can possibly comprehend it's completeness nor it's total glory. No matter what any one person's level of wisdom or insight may be above another, there is only perspective and relativity. There is no 'ultimate' truth on the level of us humans. There is only personal Truth based upon our own personal relativity of it.

I completely disagree. The ultimate truth is the truth of the ultimate. The ultimate ultimately can only be either nothingness or infinity. There is nothing greater. There is nothing less. Those are the only absolutes. Knowledge of them as one is the absolute and ultimate knowledge and truth. Truth is truth and does not vary between person to person. By knowing this, I know the ultimate truth. Whatever you accept as truth is irrelevant and has no bearing on what is actually true.

The ultimate EXPERIENCE may not be your ultimate experience. While true, no human can experience the ultimate, it is still able to be conceptually understood by anyone. My perception of the absolute is not my experience of it. I cannot experience it in human form. But I can understand it. I know this because I do.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

I've learned that if we look deeply into anything... if we do so without our preconceptions, expectations, biases, or judgements we can learn much. Everything speaks without speaking, but do we dare to listen?

Continue to observe and dream in peace my anti-stoic friend.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

• To Know is To Experience:
How can we ever truly know a thing unless we experience a thing? I can explain to you what a burn feels like but you will never know until you touch the fire. You will only think and believe until you experience. You see my friend, in order to know a thing, you must experience a thing. Without experience, there is only belief, speculation, and thinking so.

• Relativity and Perspective:
Is the cup half empty or half full? Perspective and Relativity.
Is this meal too spicy? Not spicy enough? Salty? Perfect? Perspective and Relativity.
What may anger you, another may laugh at. What you find enjoyable, another may find annoyance. Perspective and Relativity.

You see, even in things we can directly experience, there is still subjective relativity. If even the most tangible of experiences are subjective, how can any one definitively label 'ultimate truth' to any thing, let alone any thing that is beyond our comprehension or direct experience?

Were our ancestors wrong for saying the world was flat? No! Why? As they could plainly experience, the horizon never exposes the curvature of Earth's sphere. They could walk endlessly and never experience Earth's roundness. They were correct according to their relative perspective. How many times has new methods proven the most brilliant experts of yesterday wrong? How many times has your own personal feelings, beliefs, and understandings changed since your earliest childhood years? Can you honestly say that you will never change your mind or that later methods will not prove you wrong?

Each and every one of us humans has relative truths based on perspective. Everyone in their own mind is right, according to discernment, experience, conceptualization, emotions, knowledge, wisdom, and insight. Each one of us has our own subjective perceptions of a reality. Is the temperature hot or cold? There is no ultimate right answer, only our own personal truth according to relativity.

Let me tell you this my friend, for how ever much you personally KNOW how it is... either by absolute logic... proof positive experience... or unfaltering perceptions.... so to do others KNOW differently than you based on their absolute logic, or proof positive experiences, or unfaltering perceptions. This is why intillects argue and religious people are willing to die fighting... they all honestly KNOW.

What better way to promote non-judgementalism and to eliminate ego than to realize that each person is right according to relativity?

By quickly discrediting the truths of others to promulgate your own truths, this is no better than religious fanatics screaming down the face of a non-believer with condemnations to eternal hell. Your truths are your own truths. Yes they are correct to you. My truths are my own truths. Though they may be wrong to you, they are correct to me based on logic, experience, and perception.

When did Infinity happen? Why? When did nothing happen? Why? How small is nothing and how big is infinity? What was before nothing or infinity? What caused infinity to sprout from nothing? My friend, you do not KNOW. You can only think, believe, or speculate because we have no way to experience nor comprehend such things. Only human based conceptualizations. If we can't even agree on the perfect temperature, how do you have the ultimate truth for us all? To throw aside the truths and opinions of others to promote your truths, that is disillusion caused by ego. None of our great philosophers or spiritual teachers acted in such a way.

There is no ultimate truth on the level of us humans, only relativity of the ultimate truths. We all disagree but we are all right! Here is my ego talking: the only ultimate truth for humans is Relativity. But how can this be ego if I admit we are all correct in our own existence?

"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know." - 1 Corinthians 8:2 (Bible)

"The fool learns from no one. The wise man learns from everyone."

The moment we close our minds and say, "I know," we have lost sight of the truth.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Blind Men and an Elephant

Several blind men were led to an elephant. Each blind man was instructed to touch a different part of the elephant without being told it was an elephant. Afterwards, the blind men were brought together to share their experience, knowing they all had touched the same thing.

"I felt the trunk of a tree," said the first man, who had touched the leg of the elephant.

"No, no. What I touched was a rope or a vine," said another blind man. This blind man had felt the elephant's tail.

"It was a large snake," shouted another. He had only touched the elephant's trunk.

"It was a smooth spear," said the man who had touched the tusks.

Each man was so certain of their judgement according to their own experiences.

Because of their limited perspective, the only truth was that of their relativity towards that truth.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

• To Know is To Experience:
How can we ever truly know a thing unless we experience a thing? I can explain to you what a burn feels like but you will never know until you touch the fire. You will only think and believe until you experience. You see my friend, in order to know a thing, you must experience a thing. Without experience, there is only belief, speculation, and thinking so.

I agree. Its not that I know what its like as infinity/nothing. Its more like, conceptually, I know what it is and that it is one. Then I know, conceptually, that all comes from this paradox. Truthfully, we are a part of infinity/nothing right now and we never really left. We just became aware of a finite portion of it. In this way, I experience infinity/nothing without necessarily being aware that this is what I'm experiencing.

• Relativity and Perspective:
Is the cup half empty or half full? Perspective and Relativity.
Is this meal too spicy? Not spicy enough? Salty? Perfect? Perspective and Relativity.
What may anger you, another may laugh at. What you find enjoyable, another may find annoyance. Perspective and Relativity.

You see, even in things we can directly experience, there is still subjective relativity. If even the most tangible of experiences are subjective, how can any one definitively label 'ultimate truth' to any thing, let alone any thing that is beyond our comprehension or direct experience?

Were our ancestors wrong for saying the world was flat? No! Why? As they could plainly experience, the horizon never exposes the curvature of Earth's sphere. They could walk endlessly and never experience Earth's roundness. They were correct according to their relative perspective. How many times has new methods proven the most brilliant experts of yesterday wrong? How many times has your own personal feelings, beliefs, and understandings changed since your earliest childhood years? Can you honestly say that you will never change your mind or that later methods will not prove you wrong?

Each and every one of us humans has relative truths based on perspective. Everyone in their own mind is right, according to discernment, experience, conceptualization, emotions, knowledge, wisdom, and insight. Each one of us has our own subjective perceptions of a reality. Is the temperature hot or cold? There is no ultimate right answer, only our own personal truth according to relativity.

Ultimately, there are two paths. Regardless of perspective any action falls along the line of one of the two paths. There is no right or wrong path, but there are still two ultimate paths. There is the path to infinity, and the path to nothingness. If I be on the path to infinity, the one who is on the path to nothingness might be seen by my finite mind as the wrong path, but in his finite mind, it is the right path, and mine is the wrong path. Yea verily I say unto you, there is no right or wrong path for all paths lead to, come from, and in reality have never left the one ultimate/absolute destination. You are absolutely right.

However, truth is always true and is always the truth that all is one. Within the illusion, no one can perceive the ultimate truth of any given situation or object of perception, however, the truth can still be known.

Knowledge and perception(awareness/consciousness) are not the same thing although you can be aware of knowledge. Just because I know what the truth is does not mean I can or will ever experience outside the realm of knowledge. By being aware of the truth, really I am only being aware of the knowledge of the truth. From there, I can attempt to incorporate that knowledge into my lifestyle to more efficiently arrive at my/our destination.

Let me tell you this my friend, for how ever much you personally KNOW how it is... either by absolute logic... proof positive experience... or unfaltering perceptions.... so to do others KNOW differently than you based on their absolute logic, or proof positive experiences, or unfaltering perceptions. This is why intillects argue and religious people are willing to die fighting... they all honestly KNOW.

This is true. All I can do is present what I know. I can't force knowledge upon you or anyone. I can only open a door, it is up to you to decide whether or not to walk through it.

What better way to promote non-judgementalism and to eliminate ego than to realize that each person is right according to relativity?

It's not that people are wrong or right, it's that people don't know that there is no wrong or right. It's that people don't know that all paths lead to one destination. It's that people don't know that ultimately, there were never any paths at all, it was all just a matter of their personal perspective.

By quickly discrediting the truths of others to promulgate your own truths, this is no better than religious fanatics screaming down the face of a non-believer with condemnations to eternal hell. Your truths are your own truths. Yes they are correct to you. My truths are my own truths. Though they may be wrong to you, they are correct to me based on logic, experience, and perception.

Your truths and my truths are the truths. Whatever you or I believe to be the truth is irrelevant, because there is only one truth and that is the truth of the one.

When did Infinity happen? Why? When did nothing happen? Why? How small is nothing and how big is infinity? What was before nothing or infinity? What caused infinity to sprout from nothing? My friend, you do not KNOW. You can only think, believe, or speculate because we have no way to experience nor comprehend such things. Only human based conceptualizations. If we can't even agree on the perfect temperature, how do you have the ultimate truth for us all? To throw aside the truths and opinions of others to promote your truths, that is disillusion caused by ego. None of our great philosophers or spiritual teachers acted in such a way.

-Infinity has never happened at a given time, infinity and nothing both have always just been.
-Infinity and nothing have no size. It's like they are each both big and small simultaneously. That's even inaccurate and is stated just for illustration because the concept of "big and small" are both finite concepts. Infinity and nothing have no size.
-There was nothing and infinity before nothing and infinity. There is nothing and infinity now and tomorrow there will still and forever only be nothing and infinity. There is no time or space.
-Infinity did not sprout from nothing, infinity is, has always been, and always will be nothing. Infinity/nothing are a potential. Out of this potential, infinity/nothing became aware. Awareness is the first step required in the intelligent process of attempted resolution. Resolution implies that awareness does not know what it is aware of yet. Awareness becomes aware of time and space. Now awareness can move. It moves anywhere, everywhere and nowhere at all simultaneously. This is pure energy. The rest is history.

I know that I know. To experience infinity/nothing is not the same as knowing infinity/nothing. Knowledge is in our realm, and we can be its master. Actually I/we all experience infinity and nothing, its just that we are unaware that infinity/nothing is what we are experiencing. We can be aware of it through knowledge.

There is no ultimate truth on the level of us humans, only relativity of the ultimate truths. We all disagree but we are all right! Here is my ego talking: the only ultimate truth for humans is Relativity. But how can this be ego if I admit we are all correct in our own existence?

There is no awareness of the experience of ultimate truth. There is experiencing of it unconciously, and there is the awareness of it conceptually by knowledge.

"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

By knowing nothing, he knew infinity.

"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know." - 1 Corinthians 8:2 (Bible)

Makes sense. How could someone know something if there is nothing to know.

The moment we close our minds and say, "I know," we have lost sight of the truth.

The moment we(infinity/nothing) became aware, we lost sight of the truth.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Hello again smithjustinb, Peace to you.

A paradox occurs with ignorance. Ignorance in the literal sense of lacking proper knowledge or understanding about a mechanism. How many paradoxes do you think have occured in the past, that with new insight, later have overcome confusion and uncertainty? Just because a paradox occurs, or even if interconnected, codependent, and opposing paradoxes occur in a dualistic form does not make it any ultimate truth; only the truth of that day. Ultimate truth can not be known until ultimate relative perception gives actual ultimate experience. Unless this occurs, any amount of conceptualizations, or logic, or reasoning, or even mathematical formula is solely confined to the truth of the day.

What form of existential reality do you presume microbes have? As we collide particles in accelerators, we just keep continuing to discover further subatomic realities. We can not even observe the limits to know what our universe is! Are we contained in an ornament on the collar of a cat named Orion ('Men in Black' film)? Are we a holographic simulation? Did an anthropomorphic God create all? Life is but a dream? Are we a cast shadow of higher dimensions beyond our comprehension and perception? No one knows anything for certain. The only thing certain is uncertainty.

Your reasoning and conceptualizations tell you one thing. It is very real to you, yes it is. But what I experience, conceptualize, and reason is absolutely real to me. This is relativity. Give every single human in this world the same meal. Each and everyone will have a different experience. The meal is tangible and "real," we can smell and taste it. But we will have no absolute truth even in what we can directly experience. If we do not agree on tangible food, why do you presume you have absolute truth about a reality we can not even experience in its full and complete being?

Do you see the difference between my reasoning and yours? You believe your truth is ultimate and others must follow you to have their doors open, for you are the opener of doors only if we can agree with your reasoning. But me, I reason that my reality and truths are real to me, and that your reality and truths are real to you.

The fact that we all have different perceptions of truth based on our relativity to it... this is the greatest expression of infinity to our individual and collective human consciousness!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

The taste of the food may be different, but the food is the food.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

To you be your understandings, and to me be mine. Thank you for your insights, may we converse later on different topics. Walk in Peace. May your Path be guided by love and understanding.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

To you be your understandings, and to me be mine. Thank you for your insights, may we converse later on different topics. Walk in Peace. May your Path be guided by love and understanding.

lol. I had a feeling our arguing was getting us nowhere. Nice post about the tree though.

new topics

top topics

join