It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black bears... in Ohio(?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I live in Wayne County, Ohio about 50 miles directly south of Cleveland. This area isn't nearly as wooded as the more southern regions in the state but there are small patches of woods between the huge, open farms. I live right off relatively quiet, two-lane route so I usually just walk along the road for two miles when I want to go into town to hang out with friends. I've probably walked this road at least a thousand times by now without ever really encountering anything interesting.

I was walking this same road that I live on late one night July of last year. All was peachy until I heard the heavy footsteps of something charge up the little slope alongside the road. It startled me to the point that I didn't stop to take a look at what it was; I instinctively turned around and picked up a chunk of broken asphalt to defend myself (lol). Before I turned around, I could hear this thing pretty close behind me flaring its nostrils in an aggressive manner. It took off toward the nearby cornfield in the opposite direction by the time I turned back around. It was a pretty dark night so I still couldn't get a very good look at it. Though I managed to estimate its height to be around three feet tall on its all fours. It appeared to be covered in black fur but, like I said, it was dark so I may be mistaken.

Now I've read that black bears usually don't attack humans unless they're cornered or perceive their offspring to be threatened. I read that they tend to charge toward whatever startled them, stop, snarl a little bit, then dart off. It seems to fit what I encountered. Same with the height.

My friends keep denying that it was a black bear but I know it wasn't anything that I usually find as roadkill on that stretch of pavement. And it definitely wasn't a deer or something way off from what I suggested. This thing was heavy, mean, and fast. Its just that black bears aren't known to be a part of northeast Ohio.

Your input?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Probably came over from PA. I'm from NE Ohio as well and have heard a few stories about black bears in Ohio.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

I'm south of you ... ( SW Ohio ) .. never heard of bears in the region, but we do have some big cats and some very large deer .. Right now in my area we have a 100lb black leopard that keeps making appearances..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's an odd thing for me to think of folks actually traversing in the dark. Seriously, I wouldn't dare do that here where I am at (Desert Southwest). There are times when the Moon is so bright it is like daylight, but the chances of running into something that potentially could hurt me are greater than one would think.

I am a daytime person only, no nocturnal movement for me unless it is within the confines of a backyard that is fenced, and even then I am not too easy with that.

I also do not have night vision at all. I would never make it out there in the dark! No way! I don't even drive at night because I cannot see the side of the road. I am a Daywalker!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes, we just can't seem to teach those Pennsylvania bears to stay out of Ohio.

They wander over from time to time.

Now in the Southern and South Eastern parts of Ohio, there are quite a few black bears in the thicker forests.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Is this the culprit

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

I don't know how I would handle being sexually harassed by a bear.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

You're not on your own there. Sorry could'nt help posting that one. I'm in the UK and we got rid of most of the wildlife centuries ago.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Not to far from your brother. (NE Ohio).

We have had bear in the area for approx. 20yrs. I have taken a plaster cast of Bear tracks in Kirtland Ohio in 2001. Have seen bear in Concord Twp, Leroy Twp and Madison Twp OH. Ashtabula County also has a fair share of the animals. I have recently seen tracks of a mountain lion in NE Ashtabula County . It appears that the bear and possibly the cats are using the Grand River corridor to gain access to our area as well as yours. It’s nice to see some of the big predators coming back.!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BioSafe

Thanks, that's some interesting information! I've been keeping my eyes open for some mountain lion but haven't had any luck so far. I just think it'd be cool to spot one untamed in the wilderness.

edit on 7/12/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I live 4 or 5 hours from you in a small city and we usually get one or two a year running around the small wooded area. You probably did see a bear.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I like the bears but the lions I have a wee bit of respect for. They are diurnal hunters (hunt during the daytime) and sleep in the evening. You gotta run fast or shoot straight. If you are in their area and they are hungry because the deer population has dried up, you will be their next meal.

It’s good to see that you pay attention to your surroundings. Nice job!

If by chance you do find some large cat tracks (4” in dia) please post your find..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BioSafe

I'll definitely let you know if I find anything else like this around here.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Just north of you and yep. Thar be bears in these here woods! Just not in abundance yet.

If they have them in Detroit and Florida, why wouldn't we have 'em?

Or has the NFL summer camp started and they're actuallu from Chicago?
edit on 12-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That's pretty much what I keep telling my friends. They just keep insisting it was a raccoon or something lame like that, lol. I wish I was confident enough in my own tracking skills to find some prints as evidence so I could make a bet with them. I'm pretty sure this was a black bear.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Get ahold of the Park Admin or local forest service. They'll tell ya the scoop. I know they have had reports.

My Dad tells me that when he was growing up in Wisconsin, it was mainly farmland and he heard tales of Wild Cats, Pumas, Bears and Wolves from his Grandpop, but he never seen them growing up.

Guess what?....

They're Baaaack!

Only a matter of time before they all reach Ohio.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I live 70 miles south of Cleveland and blackbear citings are not all that unusual.

top topics

join