It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish and 500 yards of compost!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Why not try this in the desert. Have a closed system where no water can escape and grow plants ?
Turn the deserts into greenhouse's ..

Here is some folks doing it in the AZ desert.

edit on 17-7-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LSSP1
Spectacular. These kind of things make me appreciate life to it's fullest. If and when this is allowed and pushed for on global scale, it will be a bright future ahead for mankind.

The truth is....you dont have to wait for it to be allowed or pushed for - this is something we can all do, from a small tower indoor setup, or on a balcony .to a good size poly tunnel or greenhouse in a back garden (yard). Groups could set this up on community or shared land.

You are right - if this went viral it could be a bright future ahead!

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Agree with you 100%. It's unnecessary to pick apart posters like that.

But I can understand the need for moderation if it becomes too frequent.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That's someone to know when the SHTF.

What a great story. I wish I saw more of this kind of stuff on ATS!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I guess I am hooked. I am the king of doing things on the cheap. I picked up 4 of those plastic kiddie pools the other day for grow beds. I am looking for the bigger kids pool like about 8 or 10 feet by about 30 inches for the fish tank Seen some on craigs list. I was going to build them all out of plywood 2x4's and pond liner but pond liner is not cheap and this saves me the labor and is cheaper yet. I am so intrigued by the whole thing. I have melons on the ground right now but waiting for them to produce and I am thinking yeah next year I can have melons in half the time.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I think we are at about the same stage ! Ive also bought kiddie pools for my grow beds ( bright pink - wont my greenhouse look colourful!) and looking into different cheap or free options for my fish tank.

Will you be using a standard pond pump? Ive looked into solar pumps but they are very expensive here, and ive not managed to find one cheaply second hand yet.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by katseyes
reply to post by hawkiye

I think we are at about the same stage ! Ive also bought kiddie pools for my grow beds ( bright pink - wont my greenhouse look colourful!) and looking into different cheap or free options for my fish tank.

Will you be using a standard pond pump? Ive looked into solar pumps but they are very expensive here, and ive not managed to find one cheaply second hand yet.

I was thinking a standard pond pump. I have some solar panels I have not used yet so I was thinking of running the whole thing off solar.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by katseyes
reply to post by hawkiye

I was thinking a standard pond pump. I have some solar panels I have not used yet so I was thinking of running the whole thing off solar.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Good post, star and flag, I posted this back in 2010.

Feed the world with room to spare

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
GO WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!! Just sayin that because im from WI but really tho thats amazing that all that food can be made within such a small area

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is too beautiful an outcome if our gov't would let it be. By each of us running our own systems, we would have enough food to feed the world!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
If any one of you are interested in turning some land into one of these awesome green houses,

Compost Heated Greenhouses

edit on 3-11-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is the most efficient use of intelligence in the world!!!

There are starving children in Africa, India, South America.

Why in the world wouldn't some of the Not-For-Profit Agencies not be investing in this technology out the butt?!?

I'm interested in learning how to do this on a small scale. Teach it to my kids. Have the resources and setup ready for worst case scenarios.

When the oil wells dry up, kiss our well oiled economy to absolutely fall on its' face. Food will no longer be transported to stores. Plastics and rubbers will no longer be manufactured. The entire economy, to include food production/distribution, will completely fail. Billions will die. This is a fact. An unfortunate fact.

Arm yourselves with knowledge, rifles, and pit-bulls. LOL!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Earth boxes are another super cheap way of growing with 5 gallon buckets.
There's all sorts of very green, very productive growing innovations that are coming out of the urban farming/backyard farm movement.

Of course our experience is you think you're doing GREAT being self sufficient as you can be, growing and canning and drying and....then you go to your local city counsel meeting and find out they are worried about gardens and chickens making the area look 'impoverished.'

They'll probably try to outlaw poly greenhouses next. Greenhouses not 'built to code.'

Seriously - we make great strides everywhere but politically it seems.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Tilapia actually don't taste too bad either, as they don't have a strong musky taste like most other freshwater fish that I'm familiar with. Fillet, butter, grill or fry - pretty decent. Cooks really quick. Just don't overcook as it'll turn flaky.

But from what I understand they're North African cichlids not adapted at all for cold. Got to keep them in 80°F temperature water (not exact, but thereabouts) or they won't be doing too well for long. A fish farm has to be designed with that in mind. (At it seems you don't have to worry too much about them getting out into the wild because of that. One freeze and unlike the native fish that can hybernate or slow down at the bottom of a river or lake with antifreeze in their blood, the cichlids are quite dead.)
edit on 4-5-2012 by pauljs75 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join