It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish and 500 yards of compost!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
What the hell ? I thought this was Craigs list.

Snf OP

Excellent.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
i would love to learn how to do that!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yet 99.99% of people who see this and go "Thats great" will do nothing in their own yard because everyone is too lazy or they have no yard anyway. It also takes a full day so you'd have no job, but you'd earn of what you sell, but is it enough from someones backyard.

So my question is. WHO is going to do this that is actually makes a difference in the world? Answer - too few.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Seen this before Yeah this is awesome thanks for posting S&F! This can be done by anyone on small scale. I posted a thread on it a few weeks ago. i would be cool to do backyard one and then go around you neighborhood and teach folks how to do it. www.abovetopsecret.com...

WE need to make a change for sure. I just posted a thread on our tainted food supply also that compliments this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was so intrigued with aquaponics I have been researching it for weeks.

edit on 14-7-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
S and F. All day I have been wracking my brain trying to think of where I could put another shed in the yard and how I could afford it. I live in Arizona, so I do not think I need a greenhouse. It is already triple digit temps here. Even if you do not sell your fish and produce, you will be making organic, healthy food for your family and cutting down your food bills at the same time. I seriously have to think about this and try to raise money to get it done.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
We've got some acreage, and my husband has already started planning this out. He found out about this a while ago. As long as my children don't name the talapia, we're good to go.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I have been looking into this since reading your earlier Aquaponics thread . Im so glad the subject has been revived with this new one.

I would like to set this up in one of the two greenhouses I have, and have sourced some of the equipment I need very cheaply. My biggest hurdle is how to give my plants enough light over the dull winter months here in England. Grow lights are an option, but I dont really want a rise in my electricity bills - anyone got any ideas?

The beauty of this for me is not relying on "the man" for our food - I hate supermarkets and all they stand for.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

All I can say is that this man is a freakin genius.

Absolutely necessary second line.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Imagine the efffect on the worlds food problems. We could easily use the donated money from charities for starving people to set up a system such as this in their communities.

Just spending the money on bags of rice,wheat, milk, etc... does not allow one to produce their own food products.

Ohh yeah forgot, we need to figure out how to turn corporations into caring entities to allow for such technology to flourish!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thank you so much for this article, even if it is a rehash, as some have said. I would not have seen it otherwise! I attend a technical school in texas, and I can see where the teachers there would love to get their hands on this info just to tinker and play with it to see how well it can work in a hot condition like ours. it would be the greatest thing to take an old warehouse or building, put up some solar panels for electricity, then install a setup like this to get unproductive real estate to serve those who are having a hard time putting food on the table! This could help the homeless, the hungry children! There are so many aspects to this its unreal! Again, thanks!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
S and F. All day I have been wracking my brain trying to think of where I could put another shed in the yard and how I could afford it. I live in Arizona, so I do not think I need a greenhouse. It is already triple digit temps here. Even if you do not sell your fish and produce, you will be making organic, healthy food for your family and cutting down your food bills at the same time. I seriously have to think about this and try to raise money to get it done.

Yeah you could do this in AZ easily it can be done pretty cheap and is simple from my research. You could use those plastic kiddie pools for the grow beds and one one of those small pool kits for the fish tank. or you could build them out of plywood and 2X4's and use pond liner.

For the heat in AZ you would probably need some misters or a swamp cooler so you might want a greenhouse of some kind so you can cool it off and get some humidity in there. But try it without first it might be fine as the plants are getting plenty of water to the roots they may be just fine with some misters overhead for humidity. Just go on youtube abd type in aquaponics and it will bring up tons of stuff many of them backyard set ups and DIY how to's.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by katseyes
reply to post by hawkiye

I have been looking into this since reading your earlier Aquaponics thread . Im so glad the subject has been revived with this new one.

I would like to set this up in one of the two greenhouses I have, and have sourced some of the equipment I need very cheaply. My biggest hurdle is how to give my plants enough light over the dull winter months here in England. Grow lights are an option, but I dont really want a rise in my electricity bills - anyone got any ideas?

The beauty of this for me is not relying on "the man" for our food - I hate supermarkets and all they stand for.

Have you looked in to the actual amount of light and is it not adequate during the winter to grow in a green house? If so then grow lights would seem to be your only option. Look in to full spectrum lights. You might be able to use just regular full spectrum lights as they are cheaper then full spectrum grow lights and combined with what comes through the clouds that might be enough. You could also get s small solar set up for just the lights so you don't increase the electric bill.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

This is very inspiring , as a pro horticulture person , we need to share this knowledge and make sure there isnt any interference from greedy officials slapping restrictive practices on our lives .

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i bet he'll buy 1 more acre with all them profits!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Thats awesome, if I had the land I would def like to get that setup.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I have had something like this in mind for years. My idea uses geodesic dome hothouses, and concrete tanks holding the water under the growing area. The growing area would be metal grates, and vertical growing. I also would have an onsite restaurant serving the fresh fish and produce. It would be a magnificent facility, and be produce amazing amounts of food.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this..

You know, I realized I was being lied to by people before, and of course there's always the saying to never trust anyone... but I'm starting to make some "new connections".

For example, did any of you remember the kids who were in "Enrichment" aka the advanced classes back in highschool? I myself scored 10 points under the mandatory IQ number to qualify. A lot of those kids were really smart back then and probably have really good jobs now, they were the ones that got A+'s on every test, the ones that screwed up the curve and everyone else made fun of, the ones that cried if they got a B... but it's also funny how a lot of them had absolutely no COMMON SENSE whatsoever - the ones that would come into school on crutches saying they "walked into the wall."

Honestly I've never heard of this type of agriculture before, at least not to this degree; I've heard about hanging gardens, green houses, hydroponics, and eco-systems, but that's pretty much it - probably because of the fact that I've hardly ever done any gardening, fishing, or hunting.

It's just funny; maybe instead of requiring students to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a PhD from a well established institution, we should instead be focused on a hands on approach - again, I realize there are courses that are hands-on, but lets face it - the majority of your education is spent sitting a desk reading a book someone else wrote. Not out in the field experimenting with new ideas...

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The other thing that comes to mind now is the idea of interstellar travel. If we are ever going to travel the galaxy (and perhaps one day others), or ever set foot on another planet, asteroids, or moons, let's face it - we need to be able to not only produce our own food and water, but also oxygen and waste removal. If we can't even figure out how to do any of this stuff, then what difference does it make if we know how to build a spaceship that can travel at the speed of light?

Do our space stations have the ability to produce food, water, oxygen, and remove waste? Obviously they do - if not, it would be impossible for any of our astronauts to stay up there very long. It's funny, you never really hear about any of this stuff either... you'd think they'd be teaching it in highschool, strange.

How Space Farming Works.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Time2Think because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Im amazed at how efficient that can be, thanks for sharing it op, i wonder if NASA could see any benefits for future terraformers. I can see that in a very short time with a bare minimum of space food production will be capable of supporting a team of people. Launch the fish into space as eggs to grow on the way, the plants as seeds as they grow on the way will have plenty of co2 and provide oxygen for the fish and habitat.
So many symbiotic levels that could be relied on, amazing.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I'm very interested in learning how to do this...

Is there anyone out there that would teach me this amazing practice of sustainable agriculture? Organic is the way to go!

They try to feed us genetically modified garbage and we take a stand and say NO! We won't support you, Monsanto, and your evil empire of poor nutrition! We the people CAN and WILL make our own food, and you may take away our farms and destroy our land, and we will fight back with every ounce of compost!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join