It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's some cheap and long-lasting food to stock up on for a SHTF scenario?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Many people on here advocate stocking up on food for a SHTF scenario. I would like to but the only thing is that to stock up on things like canned food, at $3 a can, the price can add up very quickly. My attitude is that I'd like to stock up on some food, but not so much that I just wasted $2000 if there is no SHTF scenario. So what are some foods that are cheap, last a while, and would be good in a SHTF scenario? I was thinking maybe beef jerky, not sure what the nutritional value on that is though. Any other ideas?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Lentils and rice.

Lots and lots of lentils and rice.

And oatmeal.

You're looking at 8-10 years if stored properly.

Can't get much cheaper I dont think.

If you havent seen it already you might want to check out: www.providentliving.org...

Just ignore the churchy stuff. Everything else is practical and designed for anybody regardless of means.
edit on 12-7-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
dried beans!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Where are you shopping that canned goods are $3 bucks a can? Are you talking about commercial sized big cans? Anyway, on to your question . . .

For a home stockpile for a bug-in type scenario, I am a big advocate of rice, beans, water, and vitamin tablets as a foundation. I'm talking dry beans a regular brown rice. Maximum nutrients with maximum shelf life. From there, you can augment with various canned goods, pickles, preserves etc.

Edit to add: Talk about consensus. Beans it is, my friend.

edit on 12-7-2011 by RobertAntonWeishaupt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Beans, white rice, granola, lentils, sugar, flour, condensed milk, canned foods, water (lots), dehydrated fruits/veggies..

This stuff DOES expire, so you will need to rotate it. If you are into cooking you can easily use it and replace it as you go, which give you a maximum time frame should it come down.

Buy the essentials, learn to cook. Cheaper and healthier. I do this for regular meals and food storage both.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Spam, 3 bucks a can. I don't know much about nutrients or anything like it, but it's the most delicious canned food in my opinion. And to add, one can, can go a long ways, the can itself can be reused to store water for instance.

Hey, you should also try to search and see what other people have in mind, you might find a few good threads like:

Ramen...Survival Food?

And

Emergency Food storage/supply

Those should get you a good general idea, and you can also view other topics of the same manner.
Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Hey, you should also try to search and see what other people have in mind, you might find a few good threads like:

Ramen...Survival Food?
!

Yes! Haha I didn't even think of ramen noodles. Those are incredibly cheap!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Yes! Spam! Cut it thin and fry it up, mmm, mmm, MMM! Better than bacon. Very salty though. Which reminds me. I need to stock up on Spam again, I depleted my stockpile since the last several SHTF scenarios failed to come to fruition.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Spray dried whole milk....stored in glass jars. Start saving ALL empty glass jars w/lids. Wash and store them for future use.

Rice, all beans. Dried herbs in glass jars. Good for seasoning and medicinal uses.

Salt, bulk, stored in glass jars.

Oats, wheat, barley....most grains.

Flour will not stay fresh for long unless frozen. The oil content in it will go rancid over time.

Honey...lot's and lot's of honey. 5 lb cans are very cost effective.

Get some seeds for planting, store in small glass containers, in a cool dark space. Herb seeds, veggies, and melons.

So many things to get that are cost effective. Plus when TSHTF...these goods will be high on the list of things to barter and trade.

Des

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Dried beans, rice (20 lb. bags), lentils, oatmeal, distilled water in capped and sealed sterilized containers, virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar (this item - believe it or not - is life in a bottle), dried milk, pasta, crackers, canned (peanut butter, fruits, vegetables, meats), dried jerkies, seed stock (vegetable/ fruit for GROWING), flour, spices (esp. sea salt!), medicinals (Colloidial Silver (250 ppm - as antibiotic), first aid, hygenics), holistics (multi vitamins/ minerals), wood matches, and...

Meals Ready to Eat packs (M.R.E.s) found in surplus/ survival stores (particularly good storage wise selection)

Hope I covered the basics... most items in sealed plastics will stay if stored appropriately, items outside of plastics must be vacuum sealed in ()recommended) heavy plastic bags/ containers, capped goods sealed with candle wax.

Dont forget to store planting soils, and clean linens.

edit on 12-7-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
canned foods is a must have,you just have to shop around,look at your newspaper ads they can be helpful.You can also buy a little at a time and store it deep in your pantry,i highly doubt youll need it anytime soon..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
HUMANS

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Some others:

Canned chicken and fish
Canned soy based meats; steak and hotdogs
Dried potatoes
Ramen noodles can be used to make different meals with some of the above mixed in.
Bullion for added or extra flavor.

Also, keep check on can dates, use if going expired in the next month or so, then replace.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
HUMANS

Is soylent green in cans now?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
rice
beans
powdered milk
powdered eggs
flour
sugar
powdered butter
oat meal
corn meal
pancake mix
WATER WATER WATER
vitamins
batteries
candy (believe it or not sweets can help...comfort foods..chocolate?)
beans
rice
water (repeats on purpose)
there is lots more but those are some essentials (IMO). the water filtration bottle (suggested by people on page of first reply's link) is an excellent idea.
canned tuna/salmon/stew

edit on 7/12/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

Originally posted by davesmart
HUMANS

Is soylent green in cans now?

Hey, they say you are what you eat...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Golden rule on any food.

Store what you eat and eat what you store. Rotate and repeat.

What's the point of storing some food if you can't stand it. Ok in the very worst case it would be of use but likely to be the last thing you use.

Anything you do store, store in a cool dry dark place.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

hahaha
excellent film
take that into account
and fema camps
and starving jewish holacaust victims eating the dead they were forced to bury
soooory got strayed away there
holacaust a no go
but realy humans good source of food lol

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Do a little review on peanut butter and on high protein peanut butter bars, remember you have ti mix and match proteins, vitamins and carbs, as variety is as necessary as the stockpile!
may the need never arise, but just in case its wise to prepare for anything.

cheers!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Look for coupons, sales, and shop at warehouse stores. You can get name brand foods for 50 cents per can. In addition, Jerky, Dried Rice, Pasta, Sauce, Lentils, Beans, Sugar, Powdered Milk, Powdered Drinks (gatorade, tang, etc..)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join