It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Just been thinking about the whole Elenin / Nibiru / brown dwarf thing and I started wondering: if a massive object with a gravitational pull greater than that of the earth were to come into close enough proximity, would it strip our atmosphere and claim it for it's own?

Furthermore, has this happened before with Mars? And could this explain why oxygen levels are generally much lower than in prehistoric times? (ie has earth experienced something similar in the past)

I've got research or further facts, merely a pondering

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

To that I would say if there was a strong gravitational pull on Earth's atmosphere that we toss as much junk/garbage into space so that it lands on that planet....just my two cents. Moreover, if it can pull all the pollution out of our skies also would be better too

Not a bad idea you have though...that would be a scary thought if our O2 levels decreased....
edit on 12-7-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yeah the new planet would have to build a fence....you know the polish.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by foundthetruth

haha
i comprende
r u from the mids? lol

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
possibly if it were to park up by earth for a couple of years.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by foundthetruth
Yeah the new planet would have to build a fence....you know the polish.

Hahahha

OP don't worry there just go down to your local supermarket and pick up a 6 pack of perri-air

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

This could happen. The next date(s) to keep an eye on begins on July 18th when the object comes between the sun and Saturn. Predicted increased solar activity which could include flares, sunspots, CME activity.

After that August 2 is a date worth watching. The object will pass close to Stereo B in space. Close enough for pictures. Will we see them?

I sent a question to Leonid Elenin about the July 18th date. If he responds I will show the question and reply on this site.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
realistically this is not a plausible option, the atmosphere is not like that, it has been here forever and will be here forever after us

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by cocopuff

hasn't been here forever as the solar system hasn't been here forever.
we even have a 3rd gen sun.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

Unlikely. But if a larger body came that close to us, the Earth would break up anyway, so losing our atmosphere wouldn't really be much of a worry.

It's thought that Mars lost much of its atmosphere because its core cooled and it lost its magnetic field - this in turn let the solar wind in and it was this that over hundreds of millions of years removed the atmosphere. Literally blowing it away into space.

Mind, Elenin, like all comets, is a tiny object (in terms of actual size and mass - it's coma may well expand to a huge size, but this is just a thin nebula of tiny ice and dust particles) and anything of any significant size approaching Earth would be visible in the skies years before it got here

new topics

top topics

join