It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anti depressants to stop smoking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I was just reading another thread about anti depressants and it seemed to be more about people who are on it for depression. I don't want to step on any toes making a new thread, but my friend just started taking anti depressants to stop smoking. She says it's ok because there's no SSRI's in it. Does anyone know anything about these?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
About 5 years ago, I was on Prozac and a smoker. My family physician offered to switch me to Wellbutrin as an antidepressant because it is chemically the same as Zyban (which is used to help people to quit smoking). To the best of my knowledge, Wellbutrin is an SSRI, but I may be wrong.
I chose to continue on Prozac and quit with the nicotine gum. Fortunately that worked for me.
I hope this clears up things a bit. If not, I can do more research on the subject.
joey

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
thanks for the info joey. i was also wondering if there were any negative side effects that are associated with other anti depressants.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
My girlfriend's sister used Welbutrin and it worked for her...until she discontinued the medication.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I am currently 28 and have been smoking since I was 16.. 12 years now and am starting to notice the definite negative effects. I have stopped smoking "commercial" cigaretts and smoke "American Spirit" tobacco but still there are bad effects from this. I choose not to totally quit "cold turkey" but have atleast cut back on my smoking alot. I would strongly advise against prescription anti-depressants as they have some pretty severe withdrawl and/or side-effects either known or unknown. I would however recommend an herbal approach to anyone considering this. I have found great help in cutting back by taking St. Johns Wart. I purchase it in the liquid form as it is the most potent and mix it with grape juice as it tastes quite bad.. No bad doesn't even begin to describe the taste.. rather HORRIBLE would describe the taste. It is commonly used to treat depression but there has been alot of people that find that taking it helps relieve the cravings of cigarettes considerably. You know that "naucious-sick-to-your-stomach" feeling you get if you smoke several cigs in a row? Well I have found that by taking strong doses of St. Johns wart it seems to make this feeling come alot sooner. As a result, I have gone from smoking 15+ cigaretts a day to less than 10..Sometimes 5... I would suggest doing some Googling on this subject if you require further proof.. Many have been able to totally stop smoking using this method after many previous attempts. Be advised you have to take it consistently for 2-6 weeks before you will begin to notice the "stop-smoking affect" as it takes this long for it to begin to really get into your system. Another supplement to this I would recommend is 5-HTP. This is the natural pre-cursor to seratonin and is what affects moods the minds moods the most.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Good advice. However, I would add one caveat. As someone who will probably always take antidepressants, I want to note that SOME people have bad effects with them, but not ALL people. In my case, SSRI's literally saved my life. Yes, I have quit Prozac a number of times and have had no bad side effects. I have gone back on them because I have panic disorder /agoraphobia that is really more of a danger than the antidepressants themselves.
As to quitting smoking, I believe any effort is better than none. As the old joke goes, "Quitting is easy. I've done it a hundred times." I think everyone has to find the best way to quit smoking. If you cannot quit any other way, then I think Wellbutrin is far less of a danger than smoking.
I quit on Jan.1 2002. I haven't had a single cigarette since. I tried to "cut down" many times, but the number of smokes slowly crept up or, there was some traumatic event, and I justified smoking "just this once". For ME, the only way to go was cold turkey. Believe me, it's hell, but, when you come out of the fog, you feel soooo much better. I keep nicotine gum handy for those times when I feel a craving coming on.
I think it's so essential to quit (can't you tell I'm an ex-smoker..I'm so rabid on the subject?), that any method, that works, should be tried.
Herbal methods and accupuncture have worked very well for some. Hypnosis for others. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. (I tried both). Good luck on quitting!
joey

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I think that the doctor is really iresponcible for prescribing anti-depressants to stop smoking even IF they dont' contain SSRI's. Perhaps nicotine patches or gum?

www.abovetopsecret.com..., Go to this thread if you would like to share your experiences using anti-depressants....

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Zyban has been approved by the FDA to help stop smoking. So, I don't think a doctor would be, technically, "irresponsible" to prescribe it. Actually,for smoking cessation they prescribe Zyban, but it is also known under the name Wellbutrin, as an antidepressant. It seems that one of the side effects of Wellbutrin is a lack of desire to smoke. Hence, the FDA approval to prescribe Zyban for anti-smoking.
joey

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
thanks for the help everyone. there's still a lot to read, but this has been a good start.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Well it's pretty CRAP... no wonder people think that we are being over medicated... "can't quit smoking?... here... try some anti-d's"... give me a break!

new topics

top topics

join