It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High levels of radiation detected in Northwest rainwater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
MSNBC

"Since Iodine 131 has a very short half-life of approximately eight days, the levels seen in rainwater were expected to be relatively short in duration."
State health agencies added that they constantly monitored public drinking water sources and never found levels even approaching the unhealthy range.
Even the watchdog group admits, watering plants with water exposed only briefly to those levels is unlikely to cause health problems.
But they say it's information the public deserves to know about.
The EPA points out this was a brief period of elevated radiation in rainwater, and says safe drinking water standards are based on chronic exposure to radiation over a lifetime.
edit on 12-7-2011 by Sover3igN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Someone forwarded me Pollet's article the other day and I double checked his numbers. He was way off in his calcs and I am surprised (no not really) that a mainstream news outfit wouldn’t have run it by someone to corroborate them.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The link to Heart of America Northwest has a 3 page pdf that I print out and hand to people.

Radiation levels in NW rain were >130 times drinking water standard.
Official claims were false. More www.hoanw.org
Go to>>> t.co... for the 3 page press release.

I live in Washington State.
Be safe and check out www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thank you!!

edit on 12-7-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2011 by rbrtj because: re do

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this. I live in Boise, ID, so reading that article that mentions my town is alarming. From what I've researched so far, filtering the water won't do any good. On the other hand, articles say that short-term exposure to high radiation levels in the water isn't necessarily cause to freak out. I don't know, I'm trying to understand. Trying to be cautious, but sensible. Should I be buying bottled water?

I went on Facebook, linked the report and asked for help understanding. Nobody responded (except my mom). Not even my friends & family who live here in Boise, even though I mentioned in my post that it specifically talks about our town. When I post about taking my son to the park I get 3 likes and half a dozen replies. When I post about concern for something possibly life-threatening I get virtual tumbleweeds. It's actually soul-crushing to realize that going to Facebook for intellectual conversation is like going to McDonalds for a healthy salad. What is happening to society?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here's a new definition of "high levels of radiation" in a location that's so far "Northwest" it's not in the U.S. - it's very close to Lake Louise, B.C. according to the YouTube videoblogger Connectingdots1 who posted this online a few hours ago. His Geiger counter reads the rainwater values as not high, but dangerously high. Remember, Geiger counters only test for gamma radiation...it takes much more expensive equipment (scintillometer?) to test for gamma plus alpha plus beta. Here's the link:

www.youtube.com...

The takeaway message here is, do not, under any circumstances, go out in the rain in North America...it may be essentially the "black rain" that Arnie Gundersen warned of this week. I wonder if this level of hazard will be "the new normal" until a cold shutdown is achieved at Fukushima Daiichi...that could be as much as one year from now, per independent nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen and nuclear physicist Michio Kaku, PhD.

Because of the important of what this courageous video blogger has to say, I have also posted it in the current Airborne Radiation thread on Cybermacro:

www.cybermacro.com...

Oh, I just saw that elsewhere in this "Japan Crisis" forum, the above video has already been posted, sorry about that.
edit on 7/21/2011 by Uphill because: Added a comment.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
TEPCO admitted failure to vent Fukushima No. 1 reactor in May report
Mainichi Daily News
In this photo released by Tokyo Power Electric Co., the Fukushima Daiichi power plant's Unit 1 is seen after an explosion in Okumamachi, Fukushima prefecture, Japan, Saturday, March 12, 2011. The explosion at the nuclear power station Saturday ...
mdn.mainichi.jp...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a70cdae1cfec.jpg[/atsimg]
This satellite image provided by DigitalGlobe shows the damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear facility in Japan on Monday, March 14, 2011. Authorities are strugging to prevent the catastrophic release of radiation in the area devastated by a tsunami. (AP
I don't want fame or fortune, all I want is an alert on a system we already have so we can make a decision to play or not play outdoors in the rain.
Thank you all for your support!!
rbrtj

edit on 22-7-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
COMMENTARY: Massacre National Park, USA

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 - 00:57

Tours recently began being offered at the “B Reactor” on the Hanford Reservation in Washington State where for decades plutonium for the nuclear arsenal was extracted in a way that permanently threatens the Columbia River.

Source

Only in America....God save us all.

edit on 3-8-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join