It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gravy tonight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I wonder if any of you guys of the american persuasion could help me out here. I ve googled and googled this and i cant seem to find what sounds right. When I was in las Vegas a few years ago, i went with my friends to one of those all you can eat breakfast buffets, after being picked up of the floor because i fainted having never seen so much food in one place before
I went on to have some breakfast. I tried this sauce called Country Gravy, and i have to say it was awesomely delicious, i loved it. Ive looked for recipes since and they seem to include putting bits of sausage in the sauce, which i dont remember it containing. It was thick and creamy and a very light beige colour. Can anyone help me with my quest???

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Sounds like sausage gravy for the classic breakfast biscuits and gravy.

www.bigoven.com...
edit on 7/12/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
it was probably just an old fashioned flour gravy!
3 cups broth it can be turkey chicken roast ect..
3/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons butter
now if your using drippings from the meat instead of the broth you can get away with just flour and butter because its very flavoreable sp?? lol by itself....hope this helps

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Was there a biscuit involved?? If so, it sounds like biscuits and gravy. I have eaten this wonderful dish many a times for breakfast. Most of the time it included sausage. I'm sure it would be good without. Someone needs to get you some gravy and a biscuit.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Sounds like my grandmas gravy...southern biscuit gravy.

After you cook your bacon, sausage, etc. DON'T pour the grease out.

Add about 2 TBS of flour into hot grease and mix until it becomes like thick paste..about a minute.
Pour in Milk (I don't measure this but I would guess it's around a cup and a half or more..)
stir continually adding salt/pepper and about 2 TBS of sugar.

Add in meat bits if you want.

Forgot to add: keep your stove on med/high heat all the time..when the gravy is thickening take off burner and stir about 15 seconds to make sure it doesn't get too thick..if it's not as thick as you like move back to burner and cook a few seconds and repeat by taking it off...this gravy thickens even after you have removed heat and if your not careful it will get too thick.

Hope this helps.
edit on 12-7-2011 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
it was probably just an old fashioned flour gravy!
3 cups broth it can be turkey chicken roast ect..
3/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons butter
now if your using drippings from the meat instead of the broth you can get away with just flour and butter because its very flavoreable sp?? lol by itself....hope this helps

Thanks, but i dont think it was just chicken gravy, it was creamy and im not sure if that was milk or cream in it. Oh and biscuits, yum, i had them in mcdonalds in new york, i wish we had them in the uk. People here think theyre like scones but theyre not theyre much lighter.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Wow my favorite - country biscuits and gravy.
I have prepared this off and on since I don't know
when. Wish I had some right now! Yummy!

There is a dry mix but not nearly as good as
from scratch.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i know what you mean and please excuse my drooling

( From the Cartoon - Chow Hound - Directed by Chuck Jones )

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
After you cook some sausage leave some grease and bits of sausage in the pan follow a simple white gravy resipe and cook up some biskits and you got it done

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I make a classic sausage gravy, or sometimes called bulldog gravy. It is absolutely delicious on biscuits, or toast. This gravy is not healthy so be aware of that, but it is delicious. To start the only real measurements that I use are the base sausage and the rest is estimated based on how many people are eating.

1lb of sage or country style sausage (can use more for larger amounts of gravy)
Crisco/butter (optional)
Flour (min 1/4 cup)
Milk (min 4-6 cups)
Salt and Pepper for taste

Start by browning your sausage, then you can either use your sausage grease, or drain it off and add crisco, or butter your choice. I generally add about a 1/4 cup of either. After this melts into your sausage add about a 1/4 cup of flour to start and mix it into the mixture until it is thoroughly absorbed into clumpy balls from the sausage and crisco. After this is complete start adding your milk 1 cup at a time and gently whisking around the mixture over a low to medium heat. Continue adding milk until you get the desired amount for the number of people eating.(I usually just add about 4 cups and then add more milk later to thin if needed, or whisk in more flour if it's too thin to thicken.) It takes about 10 min to thicken up good after it starts to come to a light simmering boil. Continue stirring constantly or it will burn. Remove from heat when desired thickness is achieved and add salt and pepper to taste. This usually feeds 4-6 depending on appetite.

ETA: This is best over a nice sized buttermilk biscuit halved, but you can use toast or any other biscuit really.

edit on 7/12/2011 by SpaDe_ because: stuff

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
My sausage gravy starts with my own sausage. Ground pork shoulder with only three seasonings, black pepper, salt and brown sugar. Don't ask for amounts, I sprinkle it on by hand and do it by sight.

Brown a few sausage patties up in a skillet, when they are finished cooking, take all of them out of the skillet except for one. Break it up to bits with a fork. Add flour to the grease and sausage bits and stir it up into a paste. Cook on high heat until the flour starts to brown. Add milk and cream in equal amounts stirring constantly until the mixture thins out to a drinkable consistency, then simmer until it thickens up.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

Sounds like my grandmas gravy...southern biscuit gravy.

After you cook your bacon, sausage, etc. DON'T pour the grease out.

Add about 2 TBS of flour into hot grease and mix until it becomes like thick paste..about a minute.
Pour in Milk (I don't measure this but I would guess it's around a cup and a half or more..)
stir continually adding salt/pepper and about 2 TBS of sugar.

Add in meat bits if you want.

Forgot to add: keep your stove on med/high heat all the time..when the gravy is thickening take off burner and stir about 15 seconds to make sure it doesn't get too thick..if it's not as thick as you like move back to burner and cook a few seconds and repeat by taking it off...this gravy thickens even after you have removed heat and if your not careful it will get too thick.

Hope this helps.
edit on 12-7-2011 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

It sounds like the saltiness of the bacon drippings could be an important part of it. And milk not cream because off course cream would make it too rich. The sugars a suprise but i guess that would balance the saltiness perfectly.
I want country gravy

i want biscuits

I want pulled pork

I want barbecue

My biggest regret was my visit to las Vegas, i went with some friends from work, and i didnt like it (no offence to LV im sure its heaven to some people), oh how i wished id spent the money on a tour of the deep south, that would be my perfect holiday, and where else in the world do i get to be called ma'am?
Id better start saving before the world ends

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It sounds like you would have more fun in the deep south. I definitely recommend these cities the next time you come..

savannah ga
gatlinburg Tennessee
charleston sc
rosemary beach fl

I've been to all them many times and really enjoyed it. Even though I am from the "north"..I am first generation Illinoisan. My family has around 300 years of southern farming (cotton, tobacco, etc) under their belts..

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

It sounds like you would have more fun in the deep south. I definitely recommend these cities the next time you come..

savannah ga
gatlinburg Tennessee
charleston sc
rosemary beach fl

I've been to all them many times and really enjoyed it. Even though I am from the "north"..I am first generation Illinoisan. My family has around 300 years of southern farming (cotton, tobacco, etc) under their belts..

I like to watch "Man v Food" on the cookery channel here, its one of my favourite programmes,you get to see a lt of America on it, especially the deep south. I wish ma daddy was a pit boss ( said in a very unconvincing american accent) these guys are the bomb.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Anyone ever eat tomato gravy? That is one that my mom and her mother both made.

Start with a skillet of hot grease, add a can or jar of crushed tomatoes. Brown the tomatoes in the hot fat, then add flour, stirring constantly to make a roux. Add milk or half and half, simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It turns out a pink-brown color and is delicious, great on toast.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My grandmother rest her soul always said under cooking the gravy was the biggest mistake people make when attempting to make sausage gravy.

Also ...Grands biscuits in the roll works perfectly for biscuits and gravy. Now they come in a frozen bag so that you may just cook one or two rather that the 6 or 7 you are forced to cook in the traditional roll that pops open when you hit on the edge of a counter.

Also for those that don't have time to cook from scratch you can but the biscuit gravy by the can...it's good too. Just add a bit of habanero (my favorite) or Tabasco sauce at the very end to spice it up a bit.

lh5.ggpht.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Thankyou mr Lizard, the last time i saw the pillsbury dough boy he had dr evil in him. ooerrh.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Anyone ever eat tomato gravy? That is one that my mom and her mother both made.

Start with a skillet of hot grease, add a can or jar of crushed tomatoes. Brown the tomatoes in the hot fat, then add flour, stirring constantly to make a roux. Add milk or half and half, simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It turns out a pink-brown color and is delicious, great on toast.

Sounds yummy, i assume half and half is what we call single cream here.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Country Gravy is a pretty standard thing here in the south. Indeed, it often has bits of sausage in it.

It's also common on "Chicken Fried Steak".

There are several store brands that make mixes, or even jarred or canned gravy. I'd imagine the web is rife with recipes also.

top topics

join