It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama warns - August 3rd - Possibly no social security checks will be paid.

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Obama making threats to the elderly is just not cool. I do not care why he is doing it...did it....its been said and the elderly are now in more fear.

He needs to go....and go quickly.

We need ALL of our troops home this will not only cut spending but can be a great way to really say we are trying to be a more "peaceful" Country.

We need to elect (if thats still possible these days and isn't rigged) a President who truly wants change and the only one who wants real change will speak about doing away with the Federal Reserve. RIP JFK

The ones who have taken away from this Country for the last 60 years can begin giving back so we can pay off some of our debt. The ones who have taken are WORLD Bankers and the like.

Why have Americans not rioted by now? Why is everyone not doing anything but talking ....back in the day we would have seen a revolution by now.

I am 38 and new to the political scene but what I do know thus far is so unsettling. It is not the same place as it was growing up..thats for sure.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Obama making threats to the elderly is just not cool. I do not care why he is doing it...did it....its been said and the elderly are now in more fear.

Fact is - - the elderly should have planned for their future.

It is our own fault. And yes -- I am one of them.

Same goes for people who have kids - - with no thought on how they are going to afford them.

People need to be responsible for themselves and think about what they are doing.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So no one ever has unexpected life circumstances right? People never get pregnant despite being on birth controll, no one ever has their spouse walk of and leave them, There aren't any seniors who would their entire life life well past retirement age only making enough to get by week to week but never enough, or people like my grandparents who were forced to leave their jobs and retirement packages to flee with their grandchild or be killed for getting me out of an abusive home, only to not be able to find new jobs, due to being in their 50's .Life never throws people curve balls no matter how well they plan right?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

social security is actually a pretty good idea, though it could do with some changes. they counted on THEIR money being held in a separate account for them. now obama is threatening to withhold all the money they paid in.

it isn't right any way you look at it. if we were talking free money handouts, you could make that argument, but in this situation you can't.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Barry otereo,with his social security number belonging to a 100 yr old dead man is just a fear mongering communist liberal...all mouth and no substance...hes the man who will NEVER answer the question"why does compromise always have to mean raise taxes now and cut spending later?"

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Annee

social security is actually a pretty good idea, though it could do with some changes. they counted on THEIR money being held in a separate account for them. now obama is threatening to withhold all the money they paid in.

it isn't right any way you look at it. if we were talking free money handouts, you could make that argument, but in this situation you can't.

I'm not disagreeing that Social Security is a safe guard. Lots of things can happen in life.

I'm currently reading up on Medicare which I have to apply for the first of August.

BUT - - we all should have been taught or expected to put away for our retirement future. I think people are much more aware today - - but many of my generation had it too good or something - - and didn't concern themselves with the inevitable.

I had some odd health issues - - which prevented me from fully being the person I wanted to be. But even so - - I wasted a lot of money. It is my fault. I am responsible.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Annee

Social Security was never meant to be a permanent program.

As far as I know.

People should never rely on the government to take care of them. Ever.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

A "free market" is what built America - up until it started declining.

That is where once again, you depart from reality. The U.S. does not have a free market economy, never has, and never will. It is a unrealistic ideology, and everytime conservative try to put such nonsense in place, Whether or not is in the U.S., Ireland, Iceland, Mongolia, or Greece, it is always the same result.

What turned the U.S. into the successful country that it is, is our well drafted constitution, with the balance of powers that establishes our Democratic Republic.

The U.S. economy has been regulated from the beginning, read the constitution.

When the U.S. economy is properly regulated it functions well. See the U.S. in the 50tie, 60tie, and the 90ties.

Ohm, and Reagan did not fix stagflation, Carter inherited it from Ford/Nixon, and put in place the policies that finally ended stagflation.

Reagan is the guy who took us from being a creditor nation to being a debtor nation.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Let's just wait and see if Obama lets those Capital Gains Tax Breaks expire. It is very important that they do.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Nor should other countries, international banks, and big corporations.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Finally...

Wonkbook: Is July 22nd the new debt-ceiling day?

You've probably heard that Aug. 2nd is the drop-dead date for a debt-ceiling deal. Nuh-uh, the White House tells Damian Paletta. It's actually July 22nd. Writing and passing the legislation takes some time, as does working the money through the Treasury Department. This can't be left until the last moment.

1) The administration is setting July 22 as the debt deal due-date, reports Damian Paletta: "The Obama administration believes congressional leaders must agree to a deficit-reduction deal by July 22 in order to raise the government's borrowing limit in time to avoid a default in early August, according to Democratic officials with knowledge of the negotiations. The government needs a week or two to write and pass the necessary legislation and take the steps necessary to avoid missing a payment. 'We're down to the wire,' one official said.

Well well well... deal tomorrow very likely... or it's gonna be fun since House republicans are on vacation during the week end and won't do anything... So that would leave July 25 at the earliest if no deal tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ren1999
Let's just wait and see if Obama lets those Capital Gains Tax Breaks expire. It is very important that they do.

Congress would be pissed... most of them, if not ALL of them make a lot of money with capital gains... a tax on those sure would cut into their fortunes.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
reply to post by Annee

Nor should other countries, international banks, and big corporations.

We are One world.

What does that have to do with Social Security?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by Annee

So no one ever has unexpected life circumstances right? People never get pregnant despite being on birth controll, no one ever has their spouse walk of and leave them,

Yes to the above. Had plenty of unexpected life circumstances.

Got pregnant while on birth control - - had an abortion - - which I paid cash out of pocket for.

Was a stay at home mom with two kids - little work experience - - and got divorced.

Your point?

There is a difference between unexpected need and expectation.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

from what i've read, that's not entirely accurate. seems like obama is trying to push something. from your article:

The Obama administration believes congressional leaders must agree to a deficit-reduction deal by July 22 in order to raise the government's borrowing limit in time to avoid a default in early August

so july 22 to august 2 is the minimum time it will take to do all the paperwork and pass whatever they come up with, not the date we hit the debt ceiling. thank you for posting that article though, i enjoyed reading it. i suppose we'll see in the next few weeks.

geithner even brought up the 14 amendment, which confirms many suspicions that obama may use it.

Geithner was asked by host Mike Allen about the negotiations over default and the debt ceiling. 'I think there are some people who are pretending not to understand it, who think there's leverage for them in threatening a default," Geithner said. "I don't understand it as a negotiating position. I mean really think about it, you're going to say that-- can I read you the 14th amendment?'

edit on 21-7-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I know that globalization is trying as hard as it can to dissolve my America, but Americans' history is -fighting- that kind of stuff. This country should focus on itself before all other (lesser) things. The Bible says to take the log out of ones own eye, before removing a splinter from someone elses. There'd be no angst about social safety nets here, had we not handed over our money to senseless incursions, banksters, other countries.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by nenothtu

A "free market" is what built America - up until it started declining.

That is where once again, you depart from reality. The U.S. does not have a free market economy, never has, and never will. It is a unrealistic ideology, and everytime conservative try to put such nonsense in place, Whether or not is in the U.S., Ireland, Iceland, Mongolia, or Greece, it is always the same result.

I guess that you're going to have to define for me what in the devil you mean when you say "free market economy", then. I take it you're in favor of a slave market economy instead?

What turned the U.S. into the successful country that it is, is our well drafted constitution, with the balance of powers that establishes our Democratic Republic.

I missed the part where the constitution says it establishes a democratic republic. You can probably point that place out to me.

The U.S. economy has been regulated from the beginning, read the constitution.

I have, several times. It give the federal government the power to coin money, which authority it has absconded on, giving it instead to a private corporation, and to regulate commerce disputes between states, which power it has greatly abused to the point of making it meaningless, and it is given the power to levy very specific sorts of taxes.. That's it. No other powers regarding commerce issues are allotted to the federal government.

When the U.S. economy is properly regulated it functions well. See the U.S. in the 50tie, 60tie, and the 90ties.

Only democrat administrations though, right?

Ohm, and Reagan did not fix stagflation,

Of course he did. What country are you from?

Carter inherited it from Ford/Nixon, and put in place the policies that finally ended stagflation.

oh, I see now. It HAD to be Carter who "fixed" it, since he is the democrat. never mind the fact that we continually went off the rails for the entirety of his administration...

Seriously, if you want to pursue that line of thought, you probably ought to point at Clinton as a democrat that had at least a half-assed grasp on economic matters. Carter is definitely NOT the example you ought to be using... Clinton, on the other hand, did a fair job of it, other than all those "free trade" agreements he was fond of.

Reagan is the guy who took us from being a creditor nation to being a debtor nation.

Uh, noooo.... a review of history can be a real eye opener for you. How many of the last 80 or 100 years saw a balanced budget? How many of those years saw the US not in debt? Yet somehow it's all Reagan's fault? Ah, how silly of me - I almost lost sight of the fact that he was a republican... there HAD to be something wrong with him, solely based on that, right?

Or maybe if the problem was in a democrat administration, it had to be "inherited" from a republican, and if it was in a republican administration, he had to have created it? If a republican administration went well, that was of course inherited from the last democrat in office, right? Regardless of how that democrat performed when in office?

In all honesty, as long as you see the world through those democrat colored glasses, there just ain't going to be any meaningful conversation with you. The democrats are no more beatified saints than the republicans are. The sooner you put down the dixie cup full of kool-aid and mull that thought over, the closer you will be to seeing the world as it is, rather than as you wish it was.

Again, whether a chief executive "inherits" a situation or buys it on his own is immaterial compared with what he DOES with it while he owns it - and that's not dependent on partisan lines.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

so july 22 to august 2 is the minimum time it will take to do all the paperwork and pass whatever they come up with, not the date we hit the debt ceiling.

Well yeah... of course, they can always do like they did with TARP and pass it in the house and senate in the same day.

geithner even brought up the 14 amendment, which confirms many suspicions that obama may use it.

Well that article is quite ``old``... and Obama said he wouldn't use the 14th amendment, which of course might be a lie... but many scholars said Obama couldn't use the 14th amendment as it was unconstitutional.

We shall see.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
reply to post by Annee

I know that globalization is trying as hard as it can to dissolve my America, but Americans' history is -fighting- that kind of stuff. This country should focus on itself before all other (lesser) things. The Bible says to take the log out of ones own eye, before removing a splinter from someone elses. There'd be no angst about social safety nets here, had we not handed over our money to senseless incursions, banksters, other countries.

Your America? My family has been here since the 1700s.

Don't care what the bible says.

Progression happens. We are One world. The days of isolationism are history - - as they should be.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

when they started social security, things were much like they are now, the depression had wiped out everyone's savings, and left them without much of anything.
just like today, the value in peoples homes (for many people, their biggest investment) has been pretty much wiped out, along with much of their IRA's, pension plans, ect....
social security prevented the annihilation of a good part of a generation....

it makes no sense whatsoever to stop those payments now for the boomers, who are facing much the same climate as those from the depression. who, by the way, unlike the generation that came out of the depression, have not only paid into the system they whole lives, but have also paid more in taxes, so a bunch of non-working "poor" could live a better lifestyle themselves than the ones paying the tab were!!!

personallly, I think those boomers are the last of their kind, americans who know what a good day's work is!! not paper pushers, or talkers, but workers, skilled craftmen and women, who it's beginning to dawn on people, that hey, they need to keep them in the workforce as long as they can, because the next generation isn't equipped to do what they are doing!!!

is the rich having less taxes really worth leaving a good portion of a generation out to dry?? is you having less taes worth it?? have you thought about the repercussions that would flow throughout the economy if that money was left in the rich's hands for them to play on wall street instead of flowing out of the seniors hands and into the general economy, the healthcare system, ect??
I believe our leaders have thought about the repercussions, which is why they have no desire to stop social security, or the welfare programs now.....they will make plans for the future, a decade or so down the line, and they will try to restructure the economy so those repercussions aren't as extreme, but....
you can forget about the flow stopping anytime in the future....
it's the seniors, the walfare, and the credit card companies that are keeping the economy limping along!!!

edit on 22-7-2011 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33 >>

join