It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fan Who Caught Jeter's 3,000th Hit May Owe IRS Thousands

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
jeter will pay the bill, then the IRS donates the money to charity and every one sings auld lang syne while a bell rings

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This is a clear barter situation. There is no economic dollar exchange. The man traded a baseball for some box seats.

Thats not income.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yankees should kick down some money.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Not only did he call him an "icon", I lol'ed when he called Jeter a "latino".

I was like "whuuuuuuuut?"

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap

Originally posted by The Revenant
Try and find the statute that gives the IRS lawful authority over the people, as a branch of government, in the United States. Go on, I DARE you.

Since you DARED me:

Title 26, Sections 1, 61, 62, 63, 3402, 6011 and 6012.

uscode.house.gov...
edit on 12-7-2011 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

HAHA HAHA HA HA HAHAHAHAHA HA HA....*breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HA HA

That is actually U.S. code. A code is not law. A code is a rule of a corporation. You just posted a link to the Code of The United States Corporation (U.S.A. Corp).

No law there ANYWHERE.

-Lightrule

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

This law in the US baffles me - people go on to game shops, enter lottery and go into other competitions because they want or need money and then get screwed over by the IRS if they win.

I have seen this before, there was a guy who gave back the car on 'The Price is Right' because he couldn't afford the tax. It was a struggle as well, as the show didnt want to take the prize back and it almost ended up in court.

While there is this law any competition no matter how big or small should also include a cash component paid directly to the IRS... or would that be taxed again?

Seriously though include the cash!

What's worse is that this guy didnt even enter a comp, he just caught a ball.

Do you think when the IRS goes out to buy computers, stationary etc that they pay tax to themselves?

Tax on tax$$ - sounds almost crazier than paying credit with credit....

edit on 13-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

This is the definition of plunder. Frederic Bastiat spoke of two ways of making money.... profit and plunder. He stated that plunder was the easier of the two.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

it truly is a crazy world when you even have to think about doing that stuff to recieve good treatment from a baseball team.
that is some peoples dream, to meet the yankees and be treated like that.
irs is horrible.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

That is why you sell to a private collector for cash.....He was asking for it making the news!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
For the record, the Miller HighLife company has offered to pay the taxes on it:

Miller High Life offers to pay taxes on fan's Jeter loot

New York Yankees fan Christian Lopez was showered with gifts from the team after he returned the ball shortstop Derek Jeter crushed for career hit No. 3,000 on July 9.

Unfortunately for Lopez, those gifts came with an unexpected tax burden. According to CNBC, Lopez could have to pay more than $10,000 on the roughly $60,000 worth of tickets and merchandise the Yankees gave him.

But Miller High Life is prepared to not only pay Lopez's tax bill but also throw him a party with free beer, CNBC reports.

"Miller High Life believes you should be rewarded for doing the right thing, not penalized," Miller High Life brand manager Brendan Noonan told CNBC. "We want to recognize Christian Lopez, and in turn everyone like him, for doing the common sense thing and help him continue to live the High Life." Read more: aol.sportingnews.com...

aol.sportingnews.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If they pay the taxes for him won't they say that is more income for taking the bait to promote miller high life? and tax him on that payment too
)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
reply to post by captaintyinknots

If they pay the taxes for him won't they say that is more income for taking the bait to promote miller high life? and tax him on that payment too
)

A company like Miller has enough lawyers that I am sure they will find the loophole. It is really a brilliant move on Miller's part.....$14000 out of pocket for millions in media exposure.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join