It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medfield State Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Of interest.....

www.abandonedasylum.com...

The hospital was built in 1892, back when they called it an "Insane Asylum." At its height it included 58 buildings, on a property of some 3.6 km (900 acres), and a capacity of 2,200 patients. It raised its own livestock and produce, and generated its own heat, light and power. Completely self sufficient with doctors, staff and even psychiatrist homes and offices located on the grounds.

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994, the property was closed in April 2003 and was shuttered. It is open to the public to go and walk around but you are not allowed near or inside the buildings. It was used in two movies that I know of, Shutter Island and The Box.

I went there to walk around with my sister this past spring. She lives in the area. My sister said she felt really peaceful there, personally, I felt doom and gloom the whole time I was there. One building in particular really gave me the creeps... felt like I was being stared at kind of feeling. Of course there are a lot of stories about this place, people who say that it's haunted, people who say they have seen things there like apparitions, shadows, etc. There are a few people that used to work there that have stories of hauntings.

I can't say if it is or not, but it's a very cool place with an interesting past. If you are in the area I highly recommend a visit!

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

You should send Zac from Ghost Adventurers an email asking him to investigate it for one of his espisodes. That would be cool! :-)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Ha! I was thinking about that. Either Zak or Jay & Grant since they are in R.I. and only about 40 minutes away from the place. But I have heard that many ghost hunters have tried to do investigations there in the past and the state just doesn't allow it.

An even cooler thing is about a quarter mile down the street is the cemetery where many of the patients were buried after they died in the asylum. There are 841 markers dating back as early as 1918! I got a bunch of photos at that cemetery. The marker at the front gate reads: "Remember us, for we too have lived, loved and laughed."

www.graveaddiction.com...

My sister is currently pursuing a grant to write a book about the place...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Looks like someone posted it in the Ghost Adventurers Forums on 6/21.

gac.conforums.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Oops... oh well

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

Well, hopefully something will become of that post and a full investigation will take place. I'd love to watch it.

new topics

top topics

join