It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are magnetic field lines made of?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Magnetism is essentially the way some elements tend to "fall" or are "drawn" into a variety of non-physical dimensions. Magnetic waves are like interference patterns created when the physical parts of an element are blocked from transitioning into the non-physical dimensions. There are tiny little "event horizons" that reflect back and "bump" into each other in physical reality, which creates the waves.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: POPtheKlEEN89
i know what are all of us oatmeal brains thinking?? god forbid the churning core generating the magnetic field have properties that we are yet to understand! oh and for you smart guys who say theyre just representations maybe you should check out how the great whte shark navigates across the ocean.... derp... " pop the kleen they dont see lines they use magnetic north-south representation" national geographic seems to have an idea that great whites follow an actual magnetic bread crumb trail to navigate perfectly along the coast but out of sight of it. national geographic??? " pop the kleen my internet studies are far more accurate in my own head than national shillographic". the sharks name is nicole so you can find it yourself ( navigated the entire indian ocean flawlessly wile visually blind of the coast) but derp all you internet scientists are so derpin derp and derp. what happened to anything is possible? jesus some of you think because your over 23 and your smarter than your friends and family you have precedence to make stick up your butt statements, "ocean currents? rivers in the water blah we all know jesus's kidneys clean the oceans! scientific fact thats why its salty" -common post if ATS existed in 1805 -im no genius but some of you are so blatantly DERP that you belong in the scientific community! you better prove me wrong or you will look so dumb in front of all the other academians!

Could someone translate this to English for me? I have a vague inclination to be offended.
edit on 21-9-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Magnetic field lines are made of custard.

My answer is as sensible as nearly all the previous posts. The difference is that it was not meant to be sensible.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

Except your answer is demonstrably wrong.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Thanks to All for the information. I try hard not to pretend to be smarter than I actually am. I am truly interested in this topic, and enjoy discussing it.

So, thanks again for putting up with me.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Um... Ditto Greggers.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers
Could someone translate this to English for me? I have a vague inclination to be offended.
"Derp" translates to something roughly equivalent to "retard" so he's saying mainstream scientists are retards, as are people who believe in mainstream science, but people like himself who reject mainstream science and watch natgeo to figure out how sharks navigate have more figured out than all the mainstream science retards.

However I checked the National Geographic article and I think POPtheKlEEN89 didn't understand it because they apparently don't know how the shark named Nicole navigates. They list two possibilities and both are characterized as speculative:

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Celestial Guide?

So how did Nicole know where she was going? And what led her back to the very location off South Africa where she was originally tagged?

"The idea that this is happening through some kind of roaming function or happenstance or by following a current is hard to accept," Hueter of the Mote Marine Laboratory said. "You really have to believe these animals are navigating in a purposeful way."

The WCS's Bonfil and his colleagues suggest that the sharks, which are known to have eyesight sensitive to dim light, use visual cues, such as the location of the sun or moon, to navigate.

Data from Nicole's tag show that she spent more than 60 percent of her time swimming right at the surface. She did frequently dive to great depths—sometimes as deep as 3,000 feet (900 meters). Her path, however, was nearly straight.

"We speculate that probably it is using its eyes to find its way to Australia, and the obvious means of doing this is the moon and sun," Bonfil said.

Alternatively, sharks could use Earth's magnetic field to orient themselves, as other animals have been shown to do, Domeier said.
So they don't sound sure at all that sharks such as Nicole are using the Earth's magnetic field to navigate, thus leaving me with the impression that POPtheKlEEN89 has as many problems comprehending information input as he does expressing himself.

I did find some researchers claiming their research showed sharks navigated by magnetic fields, but I investigated that research and it didn't really show that sharks navigate by magnetic fields as they claimed, the sharks actually reacted to a coil being energized which is something different. That research was inconclusive in my opinion.

It's still possible that sharks navigate by magnetic fields, and more convincing research might eliminate the uncertainty about this someday, but I think the national Geographic article saying it's not completely resolved yet might be true unless there's more recent research I didn't find. The quote by Bonfil suggests that the sharks might be navigating visually, perhaps NOT by magnetic fields, and while it still seems inconclusive, the wording of the visual navigation possibility suggests they think that might be more likely.

I don't think mainstream scientists have a preference either way, they just want to find out which is really true, or I suppose it might even be possible that some combination of visual and magnetic navigation is used.

Bottom line is I have duly noted that POPtheKlEEN89 isn't any better as a source of useful information than he is at capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, or coherent linguistic expression.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thank for translating!

Any idea why he periodically blurts out "POP THE KLEEN" throughout his reply?

Also, does "Derp, Derp and Derp" mean "extra, extra retarded," or is that just the sound he hears in his head?

It's fascinating, like watching an extra-terrestrial mate with itself.
edit on 23-9-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr X

Hi Dr X,

I'm still trying to understand how non-powered magnets can project a strong force outside the body of the metal. Electrically powered magnets require quite a lot of electricity to achieve an equivalent amount of attractive force.

I was speaking with my brother the other day, and we were bouncing ideas off each other. We were discussing how ferrous metals don't necessarily have the atoms all lined up in a certain way that creates the magnetism initially, but when a magnet is created, their atoms poles get rearranged so that they are all lined up.

Can it be that the magnetic force is similar to sound waves? If atoms are vibrating (like a frequency), could aligning all the atoms in a ferrous material be akin to turning up the volume on a stereo? If the atoms are all aligned properly, wouldn't the force (frequency/vibration) that the atoms already have couple with each other in such a way as to magnify the frequency (wave)? In researching wave technology, I have learned that matching frequencies, when they are combined, the output wave is doubled and when opposite phases are combined the waves are nullified. So my thoughts are that if the ferrous materials atoms are outputting matching frequencies and are combining in such a way that they are augmenting or magnifying that frequency, then that would explain how they are projecting a force beyond the material. It would also explain how the force drops off exponentially with distance from the material. Because the force (wave) is being generated by the atoms, it might also, explain how the material retains the strength of the force for long periods of time.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: repairguyt
You're replying to someone talking about aether.
There is no aether, you know that, right?

Also, while Maxwell was a brilliant man, he didn't know about quantum mechanics when he made his famous equations because it hadn't been discovered yet, and the operation of permanent magnets is a quantum mechanical effect.

A magnetic field nothing like sound, and I don't know if there is a good analogy for permanent magnets but the way they are made is by putting them in a strong magnetic field, so it's more like brushing your hair the same way every day, it gets "trained" to lay the way you keep brushing it with the brush. In fact in one magnet factory, they made the permanent magnets by "brushing" them up against a huge permanent magnet a repeated number of times, but it's more common to use an electromagnet.

This video explains the origin of permanent magnet magnetic fields in quantum mechanics to a very superficial degree, as it's a complex subject which requires a lot of education to understand in-depth, and as this video hints even with that our understanding still has limits and we reach a point where you can ask "but why does it do that?" and the answer is "we don't know, that's the way the universe works".

MAGNETS: How Do They Work?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I find the sound wave analogy interesting. I personally think that all subatomic particles are quasiparticles in the aether.
This means that there is an analogy between lattice sound wave particles (phonons) and subatomic particles.
Famous mainstream physicists like Laughlin even think the universe might be a crystal, and the subatomic particles are quasiparticles or even a string-net liquid

link

and this is the relevant paper
link

If there is a breakthrough in physics soon I'm sure it will come from solid state physics or fluid mechanics theory.

edit on 10-10-2016 by Dr X because: added link to source

posted on Oct, 11 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thanks Dr X. I appreciate the links and your thoughts.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Hello again Dr. X,

I've been thinking on this idea further in the form of thought experiments. I have extended what we were discussing earlier to include other aspects of magnetism and its uses.

Light can be considered as a wave, sound can be considered as a wave, and as far as I have learned, nearly everything can be considered a wave. So, could gravity be described as a wave? If so, then it seems to me that we have learned to deflect light waves, sound waves and other waves. We should be able to learn to deflect gravity waves. If this is true, then it would no longer be a problem of over-coming/over-powering gravity, rather a problem of deflecting gravity. I believe that magnetism or electromagnetics could be the solution. I know that there have been experiments proving that electromagnetism can make objects float in a highly directed and contained electromagnetic field, appearing to nullify the effects of gravity. I believe that it is only a matter of time before someone learns how to deflect gravity (gravitons?) in a way that can be controlled and directed to allow an object to move in a way that is not effected by gravity.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but a gigantic sigh at anyone who thought he literally meant the friggin line that are shown in visuals.

Truly he was asking about the energy/field that is represented by the lines?

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadCat

When you spread iron filings near a magnet, there are distinct lines that they surround and align with. If it was simply a field then the filings would spread uniformly. Physics textbooks conveniently ignore this fact.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Hi there,
In relativity Einstein's space-time allows for waves which are known as gravitational waves and have been experimentally confirmed by the decay of orbits of binary star systems with a pulsar. More recently they have been detected during black hole mergers by the LIGO experiment. So yes there are gravitational waves.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr X

When you spread iron filings near a magnet, there are distinct lines that they surround and align with. If it was simply a field then the filings would spread uniformly. Physics textbooks conveniently ignore this fact.

Nonsense. Iron fillings are magnetized by the field, interact not only with the magnet but also with each other, creating those "lines".

Get yourself a magnetic field sensor and measure the field around a magnet. You will see no lines whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

This isn't true. The "lines" are human-friendly visual representation of a vector field, the same way that contour lines on an topographic elevation map are a human-friendly representation of an altitude scalar value on an otherwise 2-d map.

There are no lines in the physics, just vector fields.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

edit on 9-11-2016 by Dr X because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

Nonsense. Iron fillings are magnetized by the field, interact not only with the magnet but also with each other, creating those "lines".

Get yourself a magnetic field sensor and measure the field around a magnet. You will see no lines whatsoever.

I will do that. It's been a long time since I did an experiment!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join