It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona State Sen. Lori Klein (R) points a loaded gun at a reporter!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In Defense Of Past Transgressions

Originally posted by beezzer
You might be right, if this happened yesterday. Oh wait? 6 months ago???

That tells me that it (the story) wasn't a big deal. . . until it could be used as a "weapon".

I would be rather shocked if this story is seeing the light of day for anything other than political reasons (and we can both expect the usual barrage of irrelevant hay-making and similar nonsense associated with that). Let's assume this has been trotted out for that purpose.

Loathsome as such political games are, this still wouldn't be a story at all if Senator Klein hadn't behaved so irresponsibly, then tried to downplay it with statements that reveal gross conceptual errors about handling a concealed weapon, then later making statements about intent that seem to contradict her earlier statements (which opens a whole different can of worms with respect to integrity).

My comments regarding firearm safety should not be considered political. Pointing a gun at someone should not be a matter of it being okay or not okay depending on one's political positions.

And no, it doesn't matter when this happened when it's clear that a person who thinks it's okay to point a loaded gun at someone is still carrying it around. The issue is current and relevant because there's no evidence the underlying problem has been corrected. If she has since made it clear that she has learned and practices proper firearm safety and I missed it, then of course please let me know.

I honestly don't care about political hand-waving in cases like these and want no part of the predictable, transparent and odious attempts to tar all gun owners on the basis of one gun owner's poor judgment. I grew weary of that brand of hasty generalization and interminable intellectual onanism years ago.

I'm just honestly concerned about the Senator's unsafe behavior, irresponsible comments, willingness to carry a deadly weapon when she is clearly unqualified to do so safely, that anyone could even consider that to be anything other than a serious problem, and that someone might actually get the idea that such activity is somehow okay, based on her example and comments.

I'm hoping we can agree that these are not good things, at least.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Where in my posts did I laud her gun handling?

The timing is suspect, for political gains, as is in most cases of this nature.
Ironic as it may appear, I feel the story would have had MORE impact if it was reported when it happened.

Poor gunmenship is something to be taken to task. Having it in HuffPo, adds the element of political "gunplay" (pun, apologies).

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

She probably couldn't shoot that small of a target...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

"Oh, it's so cute," Klein said, before aiming the gun at Ruelas's chest to show off the red beam of the laser sight. Klein's gun, a .380 Ruger, has no safety, but the senator assured Ruelas that he wasn't in danger.

"I just didn't have my hand on the trigger," she said.

Klein told the Arizona Republic that she owns a number of guns and has had "informal" training sessions on each of them, and that she was taught gun safety by her father.

The reporter should have knocked it out of her hand, and then went and beat up her father!

She was obviously NOT taught gun safety by her father. My 4 year old and 3 year old would never point even a toy gun at someone unless the wanted them dead! That is the rule of gun safety. You never point a weapon at anything that you don't intend to kill, and you treat every gun as if it were loaded!

It is a shame that this is one of our "gun advocates." I am entirely pro-gun, but I believe people need to appreciate the severity of the responsibililty that goes along with owning and carrying a gun. If someone pointed a gun at me, I would take it away, and I would not give it back, period. I don't care if she is a Senator. If she wanted to make a stink about it, I would threaten brandishing charges against her!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Like the Delta soldier from the movie Black Hawk Down, *wiggles trigger finger* "This is the only safety I need." Haha. I thought the title meant she actually pulled a gun and was going to shoot someone. This doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal to me. I mean c'mon, the gun was pink! How dangerous could it be?

But seriously, if it was loaded, it is a bigger deal than if it wasn't, but if she had in fact had firearms training she would have known that you do NOT point your weapon at anyone unless you intend to tag them with two to the chest and one to the dome.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Gunsmoke

Originally posted by beezzer
Where in my posts did I laud her gun handling?

Where in my posts did I say you did? Where did that question even come from?

I don't think we disagree on the political motivation. As for impact, this imbroglio would have the least impact if Senator Klein had simply, somewhere along the line, admitted that she exercised bad judgment, has since learned gun safety from someone other than her father (who obviously failed to teach her properly) and won't be doing anything like that again.

As someone who uses her pistol and her very public choice to carry it as a powerful political symbol, any and all consequences for misusing it are solely her responsibility, and any attempts to shirk that responsibility will only diminish her stature and credibility.

If there is a silver lining to be had from this noxious cloud, it is the extraordinary outcry from responsible gun owners who roundly condemn such gross misconduct.

Perhaps, despite Senator Klein's poor example, the fact that the overwhelming majority of gun owners actually do know what they're doing will get more attention and dispel some of the ludicrous, hateful and ignorant stereotypes that all too often pollute the discussion.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cantmakedisup
Republicans are continuing to get crazier and crazier. Pointing a gun at a journalist? Not cool man. The GOP and the tea party are systematically destroying everything this nation was founded on. Shame on them.

Seriously? You think this is somehow representative of a particular political party? So I guess you likewise have stated that the Democratic Party is destroying this country through their sexual antics as portrayed by Anthony Weiner?
Don't blame an entire political party for the actions of one idiot.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Apologies. When you stated

My comments regarding firearm safety should not be considered political. Pointing a gun at someone should not be a matter of it being okay or not okay depending on one's political positions.

I took that the wrong way.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well we must be doing some good
Just saw a 30 sec tape on her wrong doing on CNN

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

As we both know all too well, it is incredibly easy to misunderstand what we say to one another in this limited but endearing medium of text, and we all do it. God only knows my trademark walls o' text don't help matters much in that department.

No worries at all.

edit on 7/12/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

As a CCW holder this chick at the minimum needs to have hers revoked asap. For a lady that is supposed to be pro second amendment she did something extremely stupid, and will more than likely give the obama administration more power. I'm almost wondering however if she knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she pointed a loaded pistol at someones center of mass.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Off Target

Depending on the circumstances, pointing a firearm at someone in anything other than self-defense, loaded or not, finger on the trigger or not, is probably a crime, and possibly a felony.

As described in the articles, Senator Klein's actions definitely violated well-established gun safety practices in addition to probably violating state law, and the incident should be investigated by law enforcement.

Meanwhile, in the interest of public safety, it would be wise for Senator Klein to better educate herself on proper handling of a firearm before she gets herself or somebody else killed.

Absolute madness.
:shk:

She did point a gun, but she was just showing it off. She's just stupid and does not under stand gun safety. She should not be charged with a crime just because she pointed it. She did not threaten any one. I dont get it, I HATE most of the laws, most of them are their to give the state and feds cash. But when something goes rhy you people want the govt to step in and take away our freedom. You want them to protect you. ITS SICK!!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Well she made a grave error there but I think it is also great that she does have a concealed weapon on her.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'd say she should run for govenor of the state of AZ.

She'd fit right in....

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Wrong.

Pointing a gun at someone is a threat, whether it be by accident, stupidity, or intentional. If someone points a gun at me, I will take evasive action regardless of their intentions. If they have such poor gun handling skills as to think it is ok to point a loaded weapon at me, then they don't deserve to carry it, and I will relieve them of the responsibility. I don't care if it is a stranger, a Senator, or my own family member!

Sure, she didn't intend to commit a crime, she didn't intend to hurt anyone, neither did the dead college girl here at FSU earlier this spring. She just wanted to see her boyfriend's new gun, she didn't plan on being dead a few moments later, and I'm sure her father totally understands that it was an accident, no hard feelings.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Maybe someone should point their weiner at her. Isn't pointing a gun an offensive and threatening display? I would unzip my pants and pee on her.

YEAH HOA because we all know that two wrongs make a right.

Jeesh, the woman was imo stupid to do this, and so would you be imo. She will do more harm for the right to carry than good, and so would you if you "pulled yours out" to pee on her.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Out of curiosity how would you feel if I pointed my loaded .40 S&W at your chest? You might feel different about it, she was supposed to be professional enough to not do that, she did it anyway and needs to be held accountable for it. If someone pointed their loaded gun at me they better #ing pray they have a faster reaction speed than I do.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

She could be charged with a multitude of things..
Menacing, reckless endangement, brandishing a weapon.

If she is charged, it can be assured she'll get off easy.

And as a gun owner myself, I pretty much couldn't believe this head line.

The stupidity of it. This is something I would expect to see on a show like 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' Not real life.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The whole story smells kind of fishy to me. Not saying she didn't do it, but it sounds staged.

No politician for gun rights would point a gun at a reporter and think it's cute. Not pointing the barrel at someone EVER, unless you intend to use it, is the most basic rule of handgun use. Along with the Gabrielle Gifford thing........yeah I'm pretty sure there's something afoul here. What it is? I just can't see it yet.

Peace

edit on 12-7-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join