It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid brother just turned 18...need advice on where to buy a cheap AR or AK online

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkCloud45

www.cheaperthandirt.com also check around at your local pawn shops. DPMS makes a great AR-15 for a pretty cheap price ($800.00) considering the price of their competition (Colt $1500, Bushmaster $1200) You can get a 1970's AK (semi-auto) for about $500, you just have to look around for it.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
How about a 22. rifle? No one really needs an AK unless they want to go to war, which is....well, you know.

Please don't take offense to that, just trying to minimize the amount of 18 year olds who own 'bad ass' Ak 47's
edit on 12-7-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkCloud45
He wants something reliable, but accurate. He said he wants it to look "bad ass."
Kids these days, huh?

Any who I wanted to buy him an MSAR STG but I don't love him THAT much

Between my father and myself we have more than enough ammo for both calibers so really I just want to find something used and cheap, but still in good condition and not beat to hell.

Cheap meaning under $800...yes I know that's a tall order but I believe in you ATSers! Thanks!

NO he won't be taking it to school with him.
NO he isn't a punk.
NO more trolling.
NO more stupid comments or questions.

edit on 12-7-2011 by DarkCloud45 because: (no reason given)

How about not getting your bro anything and making him figure it out himself.

He sounds a little immature and for a guy who promotes 2nd amendment rights, you sure as hell can't handle 1st amendment rights.

"No more stupid comments or questions"

When your bro accidentally shoots himself, I wonder if you will blame him, the gun, or yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mudbeed

I appreciate your concern, friend. He has shot firearms all his life so safety isn't really a concern with him. He is surprisingly mature for his age, I know I wasn't when I was that old lol. But as I stated previously he grew up around guns due to hunting and endless hours at the range. My father told him that he could get/have his own rifle when he turned 18. I wouldn't shell out my own hard earned money if I thought he was going to run off acting a fool with it. I completely agree with many of you on here though. You almost have to assume the worst with kids these days, but he isn't a kid any more. I think all of you have helped even me realize that.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkCloud45

Don't let the idiots who fail to read the thread get to you man.

All you can do is let them be idiots.

They are one of the reasons I fear for this country. I see them as lazy and apathetic.

They just don't care enough to do the work and start spouting the first thing that comes to their narrow, feeble minds.

Back on topic. You can try Gunbroker.com, it is a weapons auction site. I know that you are trying to stay within budget, but the better quality rifles do cost a bit.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

He wants something reliable, but accurate. He said he wants it to look "bad ass."
Kids these days, huh?

Any who I wanted to buy him an MSAR STG but I don't love him THAT much

Between my father and myself we have more than enough ammo for both calibers so really I just want to find something used and cheap, but still in good condition and not beat to hell.

Cheap meaning under $800...yes I know that's a tall order but I believe in you ATSers! Thanks!

NO he won't be taking it to school with him.
NO he isn't a punk.
NO more trolling.
NO more stupid comments or questions.

edit on 12-7-2011 by DarkCloud45 because: (no reason given)

library.constantcontact.com...

www.kygunco.com

OR... get an AK at a gun show for under 500 and kit it up with stuff from cheaperthandirt.com

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
How about the SKS ?
mine is the Russian model with built in bayonett and grenade launcher I even found a dummy grenade at a gun show for it
I would leave it as is when you pull the trigger they work ..dont add clips and all that shoot i and have fun.They can be had new for under 400 or used for 250 to 300

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I would suggest what others have said... 1st gun go with a nice .22 LR...

That was my first gun a year ago, i got the Colt M4 Carbine .22 LR... Picked it up locally for 400$ with a sweet scope on it... 30 rd clips, very fun to shoot, and great starter... its black and looks just like the real deal...

Colt M4 highly recommended by me...

I dont know which state you are in, but my state has a firearm owners association online, and people post classified ads for their guns, buying/trading/selling... Its legal to face to face transfer rifles without any registration needed within the state... thats how I have got all of my guns through that website... screw paying store upcharges

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
glocktalk.com

armslist.com

gunlistings.org

I hope that will help.

Armed society-polite society!
edit on 12-7-2011 by silicon27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'll bet he would like this one:

www.sigsauer.com...

With the cost of ammo, 22lr can be more fun and there is no cooler looking/quality gun for the money.

$619 on gunsamerica.com, they have cheaper models too.

I would argue you can't get a good AR for $800 once you factor in optics, good magazines, good sling, BUIS, case, well uh a light, fore grip, ____________ mumbles on for 5 minutes

Just my two cents.

V

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

reply to post by coldkidc

The more I think about buying him an AK the more I think he won't like it. He isn't spoiled or anything but I think he wants more of a black rifle. Thanks I'll look into the site!

You can get him a all black ak47

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This m4 looks nice
www.cheaperthandirt.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Neither rifle is a good first choice for a new gun owner.

And wanting a rifle because it looks "bad assed" really rubbed me the wrong way. I think maybe he wants it for the wrong reasons.

Maybe he just appreciates aesthetics. What's wrong with that as long as the product works well?

Anyway, I'd say get him a nice HK91 clone, in which the PTR91 is supposedly the best on the market, and the best value in .30 caliber semi automatic rifles, not to mention you can buy a .22 conversion kit that requires no modification to the firearm other than a dropping in a few parts that can be taken right back out to return it to normal.

PTR91: www.ptr91.com...

.22 conversion kit: www.cheaperthandirt.com...

edit on 12-7-2011 by Masinger because: gah

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Yeah ive seen all black AK... Century Arms 1975 or somethin

Pretty sweet lookin

link to a pic

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
One of the most affordable and all around best solutions would be to help him build his own AR-15. You can order the various components online from different vendors (only the lower requires shipping to a licensed dealer where he would submit his paperwork and have the background check run, I had mine shipped to a local pawn shop after calling them and giving them the sellers contact info and the process took less than 15 minutes).

He'll get a higher quality weapon and learn it inside-out. The tools needed are minimal and will give him the added bonus of having everything he needs to service, repair or upgrade the weapon in the future.

My goal was to build a modified flat top AR-15 for ranged / accuracy shooting so the options I chose were a bit more expensive, I could have built an excellent rifle for around 5-700.00 or so, my upgrades ended up bringing the total to around 1000.00. A comparable pre-built w/ the same customizations would have cost quite a bit more.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f87ccf94f158.jpg[/atsimg]

I know of one website where support and advice for student gunsmiths is better than average, message me if you decide to consider going this route. Also, the Sportsmen's Guide usually carries a nice kit of vintage Stoner M 16's minus the lower, bolt carrier group and misc items that runs somewhere between 4 and 6 hundred. I'm thinking of getting one to build a lighter rifle for hunting and other portable scenarios.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
get a AR-15, AK's are a joke. Gun show is your best option. there you will have many choices to pick from
make sure to buy lots of ammo. once you find that number of ammo you want, double it

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
get a AR-15, AK's are a joke. Gun show is your best option. there you will have many choices to pick from
make sure to buy lots of ammo. once you find that number of ammo you want, double it

AK's have a lot more knock down power than AR's and continue to shoot under extreme circumstances where AR's would cease firing.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
gunbroker. com- cheapest online and an FFL locator for your area, which will charge anywhere from 10-30$ for reciept of the gun and call you when it arrives

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by camaro68ss

AK's have a lot more knock down power than AR's and continue to shoot under extreme circumstances where AR's would cease firing.

...and their dirt simple design boils down to extreme reliability under the most adverse conditions.
I design machines for a living so I know an elegant design when I see one. Christ, you could hose one out with gravel and it would run.
If I KNOW there's going to be a battle, 1st, I wouldn't show up because who wants to get shot at, right? 2nd, if I had no choice in the matter, I'm taking the AK. Complete no brainer. Honestly!
"A joke" he says...

edit on 12-7-2011 by tjack because: I wanted to add the winking smiley to show that I'm just kidding around....but not about the AK, it rocks man, you can't go wrong. Don't dress it up, don't put anything on it whatsoever, well, maybe a shoulder strap but THATS IT. NOTHING ELSE. Defeats the whole purpose, man, if you dress it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join