It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF beginning to confiscate ammunition?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This is pretty ridiculous. 223 is almost identical to the NATO 5.56, which very few handguns use. I can only think of one off the top of my head. You find this ammo mostly in assault weapons, as well as some everyday rifles. This seems to be more of a ploy to limit the people who own AR15's or similar weapons in that caliber, as they are technically assault weapons.

That is my opinion, and again, classifying this round as a handgun round is insane.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
reply to post by fixer1967

If I remember correctly anything with under a 16 inch barrel is considered a pistol according to the BATFE. Again I am not 100 percent on this.

Obviously you can configure ARs and AKs and many other "rifles" with shorter barrels. If you have less than than 16 inch barrel you can not have a butt stock on the gun since it is considered a pistol.

you are correct ...
If you do have a stock on it
you need a Tax Stamp for it to be legal

SIG 556 pistol
edit on 7/11/2011 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Certainly is ridiculous almost every gun manufacture will make their rifles in this caliber from ARs to AKs to HKs to Bolt-Action Hungting Rifles.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

.223 could be considered a pistol round because the make pistols in the .223 cal. on example is the Sig .223 pistol there are also single shot hunting pistols that are .223 I still think is is just another move on what we as civilians can own. The military can use depleted uranium in ammo god forbid civilians get to ammo that is safe and don't.. really change a thing.

link   
my thoughts

if there is a revolt in the US,
one of the first things the masses
will do is raid the National Guard
Armories.

Most NG Armories have the M-16's
on hand but do not have the ammunition.

Confiscating .223 or 5.6 will eliminate a
major threat from occurring quickly when
SHTF.

This is what happened to Gadaffi with
the uprising in Benghazi. A couple of his
armories were raided by militia and they
had a quick reaction force within a few days
to fight off Gadaffi.

The US does not want the same scenario
that Gadaffi allowed by getting weapons and
ammo together.

edit on 7/11/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

link   
" Partof Obama's "under the radar"gun control plans????

6.5 , 5.56 are all popular AR-15/m-16 calibers.Next expect 7.62x39 ( ak 47and sks "platforms") to also come under such bureacratic skull duggery...
ThanksO.P. for alerting us to this. kudos.

Divide and Conquer. How many "fudd gun" owners will standup when goobermint thugs come sniffing out AR ammunition stocks?
edit on 11-7-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

There are a few gun manufactures who sell .223 handguns. Check out the PLR-16 by Kel Tec.
PLR-16
edit on 11-7-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParanoidAmerican

.223 could be considered a pistol round because the make pistols in the .223 cal. on example is the Sig .223 pistol there are also single shot hunting pistols that are .223 I still think is is just another move on what we as civilians can own. The military can use depleted uranium in ammo god forbid civilians get to ammo that is safe and don't.. really change a thing.

.22lr is also used extensively( most popular cartrige in the world) in both handguns and rifles. So blanket search warrants for.22lr wouldbe pretty much universal for every gunowners locker.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

This is going to get stupid in the courts real fast.

So the BATFE are now saying that my Marlin lever action .44 MAG is now a pistol?

I think that they haven't really thought this one through.

Wow! With this Admin it's like Deja-Vue. The Good Idea fairy is running rampant. That's never a good thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

This is going to get stupid in the courts real fast.

So the BATFE are now saying that my Marlin lever action .44 MAG is now a pistol?

I think that they haven't really thought this one through.

Wow! With this Admin it's like Deja-Vue. The Good Idea fairy is running rampant. That's never a good thing.

Wrong, they have thought it out real good. In effect what they are doing is reclassifying ALL ammunition as pistol ammunition. Just a word game to get around a few loopholes in the wording of some legal mess. So yes 50 BMG and 12 gauge are now going to be reclassified as pistol ammunition

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

12 Gauge pistols require a FFL. And I would never try to fire a .50BMG pistol.

I think they are going after common ammo and it seems to be confined to this manufacturer at the moment, mainly due to the AP aspects of it.

. But I am still keeping a eye out.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I will defer to your lack of understanding of this. These rounds are very clearly used in rifles and amongst the most people ammunition used in rifles. This is setting a precedent for grabbing and controlling the most popular ammunition for rifles. This is not bureaucratic fumbling. This is very calculated.

It's fumbling. Something like this won't go down smoothly - you can bet the NRA is already gearing up a team of lawyers and a barrage of court cases over this.

I don't see any court upholding the ATF decision to reclassify this round or the constitutionality of its seizure.

The militias sit on a hair-trigger regarding this sort of stuff - and support from the guard and military to enforce this sort of thing would be hard to come by.

Perhaps this move is someone's attempt at calculating - but they really need to modify their algorithm to handle the more relevant factors in the matter. Americans won't accept gun/ammunition control laws in such a manner. We need more appeals to emotion and hollyweird before we'll support the notion that this sort of ammunition and weapon needs to be outlawed.

A few movies about a sociopath killing hundreds of school children with a .223 bullpup LMG aught to do it - kind of like how Rambo seemed to reinforce the idea that automatic weapons were some kind of wonder-weapon that could take down entire armies (also equipped with automatic weapons) - which seems to be a key component of the anti-gun crowd's argument against assault weapons (never mind that the military got rid of full auto on its assault rifles because it wastes too much ammunition and is horridly inaccurate and ineffective).

This is just overt and sloppy if the motive is to effectively implement gun control. Though it would be rather calculating if the intent was to further instigate armed insurrection within the U.S. and further marginalize certain groups.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

i see your pic's and raise you the KAL- TEC .223 pistol www.keltecpistols.com... from the link

el-Tec PLR-16 Long Range Pistol, PLR16, Blue Finish, Semi Autom, 223 Remington Caliber, 9.2 Inch Barrel, 10 Round Capacity, Ambidextrous Safety, Polymer Grips
Kel-Tec Handguns (Pistols) kel-tec plr-16 long range pistol, p
Only $475.99
so it has started told you so, so now what will you do when you have no ammo?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
so it has started told you so, so now what will you do when you have no ammo?

during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War,
didn't the militias steal ammo from their enemy
by attacking their supply trains ???

They got plenty to go around

Basically they are doing this very same
thing to us right now, attacking our
supply trains.
edit on 7/12/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Reclassifying .223 as a pistol round seems insane, but is actually quite clever on their part. "Working on gun control under-the-radar" ring any bells?

Why take away guns when you can simply begin regulating ammunition out of existence? I predict this slick move is just the beginning of a slew of coming "Ammo Control" legislation/regulation which will make it MUCH more difficult to get ahold of ammunition.

And it makes sense for them to start with .223 rounds, the very ammo fired by the ubiquitous, ever-popular, working-class rifle: the AR-15. Mark my words, they are not finished with .223 yet, not by a long shot. Soon this and all other rounds with be under much more "scrutiny" by the government, and will be regulated out of our hands probably almost completely. I predict that eventually the only ammunition they will leave available to civilians is .22. And good luck defending yourself or your family with only .22lr to save you.

My advice is, look to the crossbow and the longbow. That is what I am doing. I'd much rather have a simple, solid, no-frills battle rifle and a few thousand rounds tucked away for an emergency. But I'm not allowed to own firearms or ammunition and, soon, YOU WONT BE EITHER. The great thing about archery weapons is that anyone, with just a little know-how of the basic concepts used by bowyers, could make a functioning bow. And with practice you can make them better and better.. Making arrows is tricky too, an arrow is not as simple a thing as it looks, but if you know how to make an arrow, IMO, you're better off, as the materials to make them can be found growing or lying around in your own neighborhood. If you know what to look for, a longbow and a set of arrows could be had for free just by harvesting materials from a typical suburb.

Note: 5.56 NATO rounds are basically the same as .223, but with a thicker cartridge wall and a bit more power. Some AR's are chambered to use only .223 ammo, and 5.56 should never be used in those particular rifles. However, if you have an AR which is chambered for 5.56 rounds, you can use 5.56 or .223 interchangeably. If you can get your hands on 5.56...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

yes they can, shoulder fired, lever action, using pistol ammo, same thing if it used 45 long colt, the 32-20 ,30 cal, or 30-30 ammo see the UN small arms ban for pistol ammo after the July UN US treaty ratification, should be interesting to see the ammo listed and what types of no-no you can not have, own, buy, or sell firearms the M1 garand is one, pistol grip shot guns, this ammo the op is posting about, and more than 5 rounds, that means your six shooters The SASS will not be happy with that one nor "45" 1911 owners sad days are coming no more semi auto's that can hold more than 5 rounds, that is all of them Brett "9" with 5 round clip ???? yea who would stand for that? AR15 only shoots 5 rounds??? oh yea can not have detachable clip. Wonder how you will load your 1911 45? See no of you read, get, nor understand what the UN and obama have in mind for your 2nd amendment right.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The 223bullets they are talking about are the Lead free hunting bullets.

They are not talking about the good old copper and lead FMJ bullets.

The lead free bullets they are talking about might penetrate bullet proof vests.

They are using the cop killer bullet law to ban the use of these bullets in these rounds not banning the rounds.

The problem is Calif has some lead free hunting laws that only allow these rounds to be used in some areas
www.dfg.ca.gov...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by shutdownormeltdown

5.56? you asked you shall receive www.ar15broker.com... yes that is the heavy 5.56/223 barrel, chambered for 5.56/223

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I don't see the American people Kow-towing to a UN treaty. This Admin has more problems to deal with than opening up that can of worms.

Even though SoS Clinton has supported it, and Obama is "working under the radar" a total ban would be political suicide for the democrats. They wouold not control anything for decades. Just my opinion.

But I am not blind either. There has been a crapload of Executive findings signed during the past two and a half years.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

and what just one ammo cal must be lead free ?? don't think so all ammo cal must be lead free, think CA will be the only state ?? EPA says no it will not ban lead ammo, for now.
Have you seen the new shot gun ammo for bird/foul hunting? It is all steel shot, how long before the BATFE says nope you can not buy it, it is considered AP, (see steel rounds ammo as seen here, search.yahoo.com... ) get the idea now? I just hope the BAN is COMING is loud enough ... who will hear it??? thsi EPA DEQ should be fallowed fro they could do it one state at time CA seems to be the first one

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join