It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to boost defense orders by 40 percent in 2005: Putin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
www.spacewar.com...

President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that Russia would boost its military procurement budget by 40 percent next year, news agencies reported.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Russia uses about 60bil now so their spending is going to go up to about 80-85bil. Not tat dramatic but whatever helps them. Also did Putin give a reason for the increase?

[edit on 12-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Russia uses about 60bil now so their spending is doing to go up to about 80-85bil. Not tat dramatic but whatever helps them. Also did Putin give a reason for the increase?

He didn't need to. The military was not receving anywhere near the requisite amount of hardware for many years now, and even the training time for pilots was cut manifold to save money on fuel and maintenance. They need more funds badly, hope they get them.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
hope they get them.

...So they can kill more efficiently. What good this will do our well balanced world.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

hope they get them.

...So they can kill more efficiently. What good this will do our well balanced world.

What balance are you talking about???
You are kidding, right?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ahh...don't worry about the Russians they still have to add another 425bil to catch the US we are still way a. of them. But what balance were you talking about?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

hope they get them.

another russian hater....

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I was listening on shortwave to the Voice OF Russia and I heard them say how they are upgrading there ICBMs.. they also mentioned something about indepdenent reentry vechiles but it faded and I missed it (HF for ya)

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Seriously Russia needs those ICBM's, cuz they got nothing else their sub fleet is almost nonexistent their carriers and destroyers are rusting and are outdated. Maybe this money will do some good well just have to wait and see. I hope bush hears this and raises our DDO budget by at least 25bil

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
this is good news indeed. The Russian's shouldn't increase their budget too much though and should focus on downsizing their military and increasing technology with new Russian tech.

I'm glad no-one is stupid enough to try and match the US's military spending per capita, it is insane.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Russia uses about 60bil now so their spending is going to go up to about 80-85bil. Not tat dramatic but whatever helps them. Also did Putin give a reason for the increase?

[edit on 12-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

As I understood itsn't about all military budget but about budget for defense orders - and it's only 2.5 billion dollars
))) so there is nothing to worry
))

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think you'll find that much of these new funds will go mainly to pay Russian military personel who haven't been getting their pay.

This is a situation that has been going on for years and can last months at a time for the poor sods.

I also find the attitude of some here utterly hilarious.

There are those war-pervs here who (even though they know how dilapidated the Russina military is.....and has been for more than 10yrs) hear news like this and start to instantly imagine 'threat'.

(or do you like the idea of deteriorationg ICBMs?)

America has got to get out of this ever higher spending mindset.

There is such a thing as sufficient, enough.

The vast borrowing that the USA is doing at the moment is a far more real and likely 'threat' to the USA (and the rest of us) than any actual possible military one.

Wake up.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Ahh...We spend to much yeah what else is new. Unless the US military wants to end up like Russia we need our 500Billion year. There is no other way if we shrunk our budget we would be messed up. Our military would become lees powerful and wouldn't get all they need.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Ahh...We spend to much yeah what else is new. Unless the US military wants to end up like Russia we need our 500Billion year. There is no other way if we shrunk our budget we would be messed up. Our military would become lees powerful and wouldn't get all they need.

- Well it is indeed a version of what can happen if you fail to moderate your military spending and allow the balance to go wildly out of kilter with any actual 'need' - especially as most of it is other peoples money right now, and has been for quite some time.

Laughably you utterly miss the point yet again Westy.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Back to the topic, the Russian military are sadly underfunded and everybody will benefit if they finally make a transition to a well trained professional force. Proper maintenence of the strategic arms and the whole nuclear branch is also a good thing -- less chance that anything will deteriorate to dangerous condition or gets stolen.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Well it is indeed a version of what can happen if you fail to moderate your military spending and allow the balance to go wildly out of kilter with any actual 'need' - especially as most of it is other peoples money right now, and has been for quite some time.

Really there is no "need" I call being the number one military in the world as a "need". And its my money and the rest of the US taxpayers money some people may not want to pay taxes but I for one don't mind paying taxes if it benefits our military. But you on the other hand have no reason to complain.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Really there is no "need" I call being the number one military in the world as a "need".

- No, that is part of your want, your desire; it long ago ceased to be about any need. It is a stupid want, no more than a blind totem that can never be satisfied, even if it brings you and us, economic disaster.

And its my money and the rest of the US taxpayers money

- No it isn't.

God knows how you will ever afford to repay your debts.

Your government is borrowing money at incredible - nay, staggering - record amounts from the rest of the world. You are up to your eyes in record debt.

This is not good for you nor us. In fact it is downright dangerous.

some people may not want to pay taxes but I for one don't mind paying taxes if it benefits our military.

- What has this got to do with anything?

No doubt we'll see you complain when you have to pay back the trillions you have borrowed.......clearly you have no clue as to what has been going on.

But you on the other hand have no reason to complain.

- I think I have fair reason to complain when your governments policies are endangering the economic stability of the developed world, yes.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I think you'll find that much of these new funds will go mainly to pay Russian military personel who haven't been getting their pay.

This is a situation that has been going on for years and can last months at a time for the poor sods.

I also find the attitude of some here utterly hilarious.

There are those war-pervs here who (even though they know how dilapidated the Russina military is.....and has been for more than 10yrs) hear news like this and start to instantly imagine 'threat'.

(or do you like the idea of deteriorationg ICBMs?)

America has got to get out of this ever higher spending mindset.

There is such a thing as sufficient, enough.

The vast borrowing that the USA is doing at the moment is a far more real and likely 'threat' to the USA (and the rest of us) than any actual possible military one.

Wake up.

Where exactly is Russia getting this money??

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Where exactly is Russia getting this money??

- by all accounts their economy has been getting (a little) better of late.

But remember we are talking about from a disasterously low base...... I know they're pumping oil as fast as they can and exporting like crazy (well they were until the recent Yuko troubles), maybe that's it.....certainly anyone with oil today at $45 a barrel - and likely to keep climbing - is making a lot of money.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Brian0U812 wrote:

"Where exactly is Russia getting this money??"

Hmmmm

[edit on 13-8-2004 by RedOctober90]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join