It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age of the Sphinx, A glaring issue about it's age!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been said already, but I'll say it anyway.

Perhaps the head of the sphinx was recarved as a kind of refurbishment. But the lower body was never completed due to that pharoh/emporer/whoever getting out of power before it was completed.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by larnhr

I've read that book as well, and it is a good book but I'm currently reading "The Sphinx Mystery" The Forgotten Origins of the sanctuary of Anubis by Robert Temple. In this book Temple says there is irrefutable proof that the sphinx originally was a giant Anubis statue meant for worshiping. It was later changed by the Pharaoh Amenemhat II after Egypt had fallen away from the worshiping of such things like Anubis. You have to grapple with Sphinx first before you can solve its riddle like Oedipus in the Greek myth, just try and not get devoured in the meantime.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Firstly let me say that no where in upper or lower Egypt has any sculpture been found with the proportions so vastly awry. Imo it's as clear as abell. The sphinx, as it's now known, was originaly was a lion. A male lion at that. You would have thought that if the Egyptians had recarved the head (to suit the flavour of the month pharaoh) they would have also recarved the body to more pleasing proportions. But as already been proven the body was buried so the Egyptians would only have seen the head. No one will ever really know what was carved before. As for any erosion the sphinx has been buried uncovered enumerable times by the weather that it is very hard to prove anything.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
Seriously though, couldn't certain plant extracts, mixed in with their colored pigments have preserved the permeable limestones that were saturated by them? Might explain some things.

I suppose if that were the case and they had painted to preserve. Does this mean they only painted the Head of the Sphinx and the temple but [not the body or the enclosure] ?

Not contending any age questions here, so yes, just the head, and for a very explainable reason...

Phallic symbolism. Does the head of the Sphinx resemble anything men recognise... and even to this day label their legal systems with (PENAL codes)?

Just another speculation in logic my friend.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
the whole are is incorrectly dated, the sphinx is roughly 10,500 years old. at that time the are in Egypt was not desert. it clearly shows the effects of erosion, Know any thing about Geomorphology? the other issue is that the civilization present at the time was representing stars on the surface of the Earth. another issue is that there is a chamber under one of the front feet of the sphinx. the current care takers refuse to allow excavation to occur. it could hold keys to the past which would give insight into our lost history. its' all very interesting, I would refer you to the work of G. hancock who has done some good work. he is seeking the lost civilizations of the past. there were quite a few.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Great post S+F....
I've pondered this query for a while now and I came to one theory and a most plausible one..
The Sphinx is a Egyptian refurb job....Orignally i believe it to have been a monument to Nommo...

The Nommo are ancestral spirits (sometimes referred to as deities) worshipped by the Dogon tribe of Mali. The word Nommos is derived from a Dogon word meaning, "to make one drink," The Nommos are usually described as amphibious, hermaphroditic, fish-like creatures. Folk art depictions of the Nommos show creatures with humanoid upper torsos, legs/feet, and a fish-like lower torso and tail. The Nommos are also referred to as “Masters of the Water”, “the Monitors”, and "the Teachers”. Nommo can be a proper name of an individual, or can refer to the group of spirits as a whole. For purposes of this article “Nommo” refers to a specific individual and “Nommos” is used to reference the group of beings.
Source

So Nommo Master/s Of The Water, imagine the whole Sphinx or Nommo surrounded by its own tributary or even sat within its own man made lake...water erosion? In it's original form it depicts the creation gods first appearance on earth or in this case water?....

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
As usual, wonderful thread, Slayer.

I'd always been intrigued with the weathering and erosion. I once heard a theory that the Sphinx is so incredibly old that it may have at one time been covered by ocean. That theory is a bit far-fetched, obviously, but, the point is no one truly knows how old it may be.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I have not had a chance to read the entire thread but I recall reading somewhere that the sphinx is closer to from 12,000 bc At that point of time the sphinx was facing the constellation now known as Leo, and at the same time the pyramids would have lined up to Orion's belt. How the Egyptians who built pyramids much later then the sphinx would have been able to do the complicated math necessary to make those calculations is really impressive. I messed with a few programs that calculate astrological movements several years ago to see for myself and it appears like it is accurate.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

edit on 12-7-2011 by pirell because: link change

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I would love to see what is in that chamber beneath the sphinx. I have also heard that there is another chamber underground directly in between the paws of the sphinx.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think a very very old civilisation built it.
there has been big disasters in the past.
that has wip't out most life.
I think it was from one of them.
there is No way to tell how old it is.
as it is a soiled rock that has not moved.
it was carved there.
and the out side has been wash't away.
so it could even be 50,000 BC, there is no way to tel.
you can not tell when man first walk't across the rocky mountains.
I wish some one had a scanner to see under the sand.
so they could find other buildings.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Slayer you're threads are some of my favorite on this tangled site, I hope I'm not repeating anything but I've yet to find it anywhere in this thread... Just a thought...

It was originally a LION!

It's entire purpose is one far greater than of our understanding...yet maybe just out of reach.

The constellation LEO (Lion)

Many civilizations over thousands of years have portrayed the constellation of Leo as a lion. One theory is that the Sun was among its stars in Midsummer, during which time the lions of the Egyptian desert left their accustomed haunts for the banks of the Nile, where they could find relief from the heat in the waters of the inundation. Pliny the Elder wrote that the Egyptians worshipped the stars of Leo because the rise of their great river coincided with the Sun entering among them. The constellation is referred to in an inscription on the walls of the Ramesseum at Thebes, which, like the Nile temples generally, was adorned with the animal's bristles. On the planisphere of Dendera, its figure is shown standing on an outstretched serpent.

Maybe I'm wrong but it makes sense to me that all of the Astrological tie-ins involving the pyramids and Egypt would have to involve the sphinx as well. It makes sense if you try to imagine a far more ancient race of intelligent astronomers before the Egyptians that had a greater purpose than those of the Egyptian pharaohs. Knowledge NOT Power. The Egyptians following the Snake would most assuredly do everything they could to keep anyone from following the truth of the Lion. So they defaced it with the standard Egyptian snake headdress.

Just food for thought...not saying it's fact.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is a excellent topic Slayer69. Appears to be very well thoguht out. In regards to a earlier post of yours I'm going to choose "A" and apply a well ridiculed theory. Viewing some of the givens of the landscape and local architecture such as the pyramids, salt deposits are present inside the structures possibly by flooding which throws the age of the structures backwards of 6k bce. If this is accurate and the "sphinx" was built at the time of the pyramids it could have been resurfaced by Khofu. The Egyptians had a respect for the constellations as the pyramids match Orions belt so we are told. If this being true could the "sphinx" actually be a lion? The beast Leo protecting the great hunter Orion? Dumb theory right?
Always wondered what else is beneath the sand. If the Giza plateau were to be excavated to the depth of the lowest floor in the temples at the foot of the sphinx, what else would they find? Maybe there is more to all of it then what can be seen above the sands. Going to end this here and once again, good post. Hope we find out the answers in our lifetimes.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Having had (and taught) Earth Sciences (and anthropology) there are some things you might want to consider.

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I know there have been a few threads on the topic of the Age of the Sphinx. In this thread I'll try to bring a new angle so as to make it unique. I'll try to hit on something I've never heard discussed and may have been over looked by those who support a much older Sphinx theory.

Not so old. In fact, what you're covering is covered by folks who considered the age of the Sphinx. The difference is that they have some data you don't have.

#1) You're assuming that all the limestone came from the same quarry AND was found at the same level (hence is the same limestone.)

#2) You're not aware of the properties of the different layers of limestone.

#3) You're assuming that all the limestone was set in place by orienting it in the same way it was found in the ground and that the older layers were put on the bottom of walls and so forth.

Apologies if I sound cranky, Slayer. I have spent the whole day explaining this to 8th graders (who are flunking science and are in summer school) and the explanation involved hiking six classes out to show them the geology so I'm very hot and very tired and very very very cranky from noisy and rude kids.

The quarrymen started quarrying on the top layers of limestone. This is "newer" limestone. It was laid down last (this isn't the right date but I'm tired and hot and cranky, so we will pretend that this top layer is 100 million years old.) The limestone is in fine grained layers and the layers change with the composition of the ocean floor at that time. It takes (making up a number just to give reference because I'm really too tired to go and look it up and I apologize for the sloppy science) 1,000 years of ooze to make limestone an inch thick -- IN SOME PLACES. That's important because where you get corals or other types of material, limestone can form faster (old reefs built higher, and I know part of the Giza plateau (not sure if the sphinx is involved or if it's further along) is an old reef.

Each of those layers is chemically different than the others.

Oceans change dramatically but changes like deep water (where limestone forms from ooze) to shallow water (where it forms from corals and shells) take place over a timescale closer to a million years.

Furthermore, limestone forms in sheets. If you stick the block so that the "side wall" is actually a "bottom sheet" that formed out of very hard limestone (in other words, you stick it sideways when you place it) you get an artificially harder surface than if you left it in the ground.

Anyway. You can't tell a thing unless you know:
* which part of the quarry the stone came from (elevation, GPS location)
* whether it was stacked sideways, upside down, right side up (they didn't care. They just wanted blocks for building. It didn't matter to the masons which way you put it in.)
* the orientation of the grain (sheets) of limestone. Blocks also tilt and you can cut a nice block where the grain is actually running diagonally.
* what type of limestone it is (ooze based, shell based, reef based, etc.)

Rocks aren't "rocks." They're very complex and dynamic things and my poor tired self really hopes that you might understand this even without me hopping up and down in front of you, grabbing up fossils to show how different two limestones are that lie right next to you and trying to excite you about the difference between the deep waters and the shallow waters and show you how Texas shook and twisted and that the limestone slopes down and doesn't lie flat on the ground.

Apologies if I'm cranky -- I'm so hot and tired.

I wish I could show you the rocks.

Even ordinary rocks right where you live are amazing and tell so many stories. But I think only geologists stop to listen to the beautifully complex tales.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Great reply Byrd, it's easy to see why you're the "subject matter expert" in this forum! In other words, it would be very easy for the layman to mistakenly assume the weathered appearance of portions of the Sphinx imply a different or greater age than the given age.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pirell

Hope you do not mind.
I was able to 'hack' you missed up You Tube link and fix it.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Who knows.... it will be a mystery for ever!!
Heres a great article about Stonehenge and what has happend to it.
Does everyone know these facts about Stonhenge???
Whos to say what has gone on before to the Sphinx???
We will never know the real truth, like most of lifes mysteries!!
Heres the article.... Click Here

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tricky1111

well what is the body shaped like?

is it feline or canidae?

yes, for 1000's of yrs it is thought to be a lion and accepted to this day but before that?

if it was pointed to a constellation in the beginning, would they really have thought it was a "leo"?

it is only leo since it became mainstream way back and maybe "leo" was invented before the statue was found.

if the statue was a canidae, then what does that say?

it shows how we make things fit into our own little box, thus making everything accepted now suspect.

finding out what it was exactly, will really open things up. dogs are estimated to be domesticated 50k yo.

felines alot later.

and how close was the nearest lion back then?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by testsubject1145
reply to post by SLAYER69

I have not had a chance to read the entire thread but I recall reading somewhere that the sphinx is closer to from 12,000 bc At that point of time the sphinx was facing the constellation now known as Leo
I am not sure if this has been addressed but how old is the constellation charts and did the ancients follow them as we do today or even use animal symbols for star constellations?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Been following this Thread ALL day -- Love It!

I myself thinK the original statue is older than any of us could ever imagine. I have no degrees but have a keen eye and certain sense of things. The Sphinx is THE MOST MAJESTIC/HISTORICAL WONDER THERE EVER WAS!! I am fully aware of stones and the erosion thereof be it from time/rain/wind/etc....

Sorry the Pharoes would not have constructed a Great Beast entering the Valley without it being in perfect proportion... Just won't happen - They were masters... The Head was completely reshaped.

Questions to be answered -

1) What is the elevation from the base of the Sphinx neck where apparent re-build/shape is and the base of the Pyramids? -

2) Did the Builders of the Pyramids only discover a body to the Sphinx after they started construction and excavation of the area? - Would that be why as it appears to me - they then went in and excavated and reinforeced/built over/obscured old walls?

AAHH The Mystery's - Love It!!
edit on 12-7-2011 by Anmarie96 because: THINK not thing

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join