It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 ancient petroglyphs discovered at the archaeological site of Cerro in Nayarit (Mexico)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

About 30 petroglyphs were found by INAH researchers at the archaeological site of Cerro cornfield in Nayarit

*** The study of the images recorded in the rocks will reveal more about the ritual practices of the Aztatlán culture

About 30 bas-relief petroglyphs were found at the archaeological site of Cerro cornfield, near Tuxpan, Nayarit, by researchers at the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) in the state, which opens a field of study in archeology Western Mexico

Google translation from the original Spanish article here

These petroglyphs are known to have been made between 850 and 1350 AD.
The patterns shown are quite heterogeneous but fairly distributed: these are scrolls, greek spirals, snakes, geometric designs, solar disk. Their style is closer to the ceramic culture Azatatlan which INAH had received dozens of copies in May.

They are all carved in volcanic rock, isolated or in small groups forming the panels. Particularly interesting is a flat rock, near a solar disk were one can see a series of small articificial cavities (4 to 6 cm in diameter and 1-6 cm deep) that could have been used ritually in water ceremonies.

photos source
edit on 11-7-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I love this stuff. Thanks for posting.

And, according to accepted beliefs... these people went on to build (or had already build) that empire and it's awesome temples etc... yep

Anyway, great find. I hope there is more to be discovered.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I always like things like this. But I'm curious.

Is it art or language?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

well that's always the big problem isn't it?

without any kind of context it could be anything from pretty art, to the first tentative steps toward an alphabet all the way to an ancient form of gang tagging graffiti!

interesting stuff though

Reaper

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i think how interesting

top topics

join