It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-NFL player dies after early-morning fight with Sheriff's officers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
of course im a cop. i have made that clear several times. i am not saying that because i am a cop mine is more important. i am saying that as a living breathing human being my life is just as important as yours. if you are coming at me with a weapon that can have great effects on a human body then yes i will defend myself. whether i am in a uniform or i am working at burger king. it doesn’t matter. i want to live as much as the next person. the difference is that because i wear a uniform of the police then i am more likely to be put in that situation where as a normal citizen will probably never have to face the decision. i have almost shot more people than i can count. but the situation did not call for it. usually form the suspect backing down when the seriousness of the situation became apparent. the one time i did have to shoot someone was during Katrina. it was completely captured on video and it was my life or his. i survived and thankfully so did he. why? because instead of shooting him and walking away (as im sure he would have) i shot and then i did everything in my power to preserved the life of the person who just tried to kill me. so until you have been placed in that ultimate split second decision your word will have very little weight with me. i will consider all opinions but we can play the "what if" game all day.

and to clarify there was not 2 there. he took one completely out and it was now one on one. so yes if the facts are as they are presented then yes i will defend him. and if they are not as they are portrayed then i will condemn him. if you want to see a bad shoot then look at the Dantzler bridge (SP?) shooting at NOPD during Katrina.

as far as your completely inaccurate what if game of me charging people with a gun HOLSTERED on my hip taking that as a threatening action then they need to seriously reconsider their life. we are an open carry sate here which means you can walk down the road with any type of legal gun on your side as long as it is visible. i have talked to several of these (as people call them in sometimes as suspicious). i have never felt threatened from them and im sure they didn’t feel threatened by me.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

well when that time comes.................

however i think you should look into it a little more. all the media reports is the bad cops. if you see one doing something wrong then please report it and have them removed. cops are human and yes you get some bad ones like any job. the problem is we are capable of doing great things. however used wrong also terrible things. so please report them and have them removed. of course we get the ones that were picked on and want revenge. we get the new guys with the "shiney badge syndrome". it comes wiht the territory. your job is to weed these out of the system. i can promise you that "going to war" will not solve anything.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sempul

Very interesting, thank you for your detailed reply. I respect you for your responsible use of a firearm.

I am from Canada, the police here behave differently.

I am suspicious that their training entails shooting at (at because they can't shoot very well) anyone they see carrying a firearm openly here.

Oh and ETA, I personally find it extremely threatening when I see a cop who is clearly juicing with their plastic killing machine on their waist. Why? Because I shoot handguns all the time and I know exactly what they can do if they are let into the wrong hands. People die, pointlessly and I don't understand how you can expect me to trust you with that potential to kill me at any moment, just because you are part of a gang which supposedly faces greater risks to their life day-to-day, than I do.
edit on 11-7-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

well i can tell you that here we are trained to shoot center mass. no wounding shots, no warning shots. we are also taught to NEVER remove the weapon from its holster unless we plan on using it nad have no ther choice. so believe me, when i have to break leather it is an absolute last choice.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sempul

Right well we have a lot of female cops here who I am certain cannot make a ten inch group at 7 meters to save their life. They can however spray rounds into residential areas without second thought.

Training can't make a shooter, we are born this way.

It would be great if you could reply to my ETA in the last post.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
BTW sorry for my bad spelling. i am actually quite intelligent no matter that my typing looks like a drunk monkey did it lol. i usually just type faster than this crappy laptop can keep up with at times.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

well if they appear to be juicing (im assuming you mean steroids) then i think they should be fired. however i guess it comes down to your areas departments policies on that. here it is strictly illegal adn you WILL be fired for it. i myslef would not trust one as i have seen what roid rage will make a person do. and giving that person a gun adn power is just retarded in my opinion.

i am like minded with you on a female officers point of view. we have a few here that i would not think twice about having at my back. and then we have a few that i have openly told that if i start fighitng your job is to just get on that radio. i personally dont thin police work should fall under the equal employement act. you need a certian size and muscle build to do this job. and im sorry but evolution has just worked to much against the female body for that. we have a female here that is 4'9" and she is supposed to protect me? i mean really. seh cant even fit her hand all the way around the grip of her Glock. so obviously you can guess what her grouping is lol. myself i have always been a natural shooter. i can not practice all year and when it is time to requalify i can shoot a damn near perfect everytime. just comes natural to me.

i guess to your ETA my best response is that you have to take each person individually and make a decision. if you dont like or trust him/her, ask for a different officer. i have had it happen to me because a person doesnt like what i tell them. so i call a supervisor and let them come talk to them. doesnt hurt my feelings at all.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sempul

Hahaha that's hilarious and exactly what I mean.. How are these people supposed to protect us, from anything? Firing those that are a detriment to society behind a badge is a process which is beyond me. I just do my best to do what you said, "follow the law..." unfortunately sometimes that's a convoluted, expensive, timely and ultimately unreasonable process, you know what I mean?

Thanks for the tip though.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

more than you probably know. since im the one that has to constantly sit in court and watch the completly retarded sentences get passed out. there is no consistency with them. one will get a year of probation, one will get 5 years prison, and one will get nothing. all with the same charge. it is retarded. and of course it make the public mad at us all the time because they get right back out after we arrest them. i cant help what the courts and bail system does after i book them. drives me up the wall sometimes!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sempul

Well doesn't that just say it all. If you good guys don't do something we are all effed you know that right?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Another version of events:

northeast.bakersfieldnow.com...
Turner's son was too shaken to speak with Eyewitness News on Sunday, but he told his sister what he witnessed.
"They asked my dad if he was the person buying alcohol for underage youth," Jerrica Cor-Dova said.
According to Turner's son, his father denied the claims, but deputies continued to question him. Turner then asked officers if he was being arrested. The deputies said no, and Turner grabbed his stuff and began to walk away.
"As he was walking away, the officers came up behind him and hit him in the back of the legs with a club, causing him to fall on his knees," Cor-Dova said.
Turner's son said the bag his father was carrying fell to the ground and the beer in the bag exploded. The next thing he heard was two shots being fired. ....
But according to the sheriff's department, the shots were fired because one of the officers was hit over the head with the items in the bag. His son said that never happened.

It sounds like this guy was killed for exercising his rights!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join