It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need To Create Our Own Media Outlets, Our Own Local Newspapers!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
www.britell.com...

How to launch grass roots campaigns.

www.ehow.com...
How to Start a Community Newspaper

www.newspaper-info.com...
Get Started Now in a Real News Publishing Business

www.newspaper-info.com...
Start a Newspaper
Small Newspapers Can Mean Big Business

There are many stories not covered that need to be brought to public awareness.

Ie. Blood Chocolate, how most chocolate is done by child slavery. How the Big Corporations and even Govenerments are complicit in this.

How since the 1960's the family owned farms in developing nations where taken as they killed even children and villagers, much like Shell and thats another story.

That every community needs to form Co-ops, with shares for all the people so we can bring in Coffee, Chocolate, and products via Grass Roots Fair Trade, for not even All Fair Trade is equal, some is just a corporate rip off. The ones in the stores are really costly, people need bulk and retail price.

And they need to fire their leaders, but first wake up. Not too many know about this at all.

www.forbes.com...
Slave Chocolate?

Anticorporate protesters went after Nestlé for its infant formula. Now they're at it again--this time accusing the company of using cocoa harvested by forced labor....

Why pick on Nestlé when Mars and Hershey (nyse: HSY - news - people ) buy even more chocolate from Africa? "We have evidence against Nestlé," says Collingsworth, referring to a former Nestlé buyer who claims that at least one farm that supplied Nestlé used forced child labor. "If we find evidence that Mars or Hershey were complicit, we will add them to the suit." All three buy chocolate from middlemen, such as co-defendants ADM and Cargill. (Nestlé says it has no direct cocoa procurement in Ivory Coast.) The three targets of the California suit seek a dismissal, arguing a lack of legal basis and, "If any purchaser of a good … is liable for any wrongful act allegedly committed in the production of the good … such a theory would have breathtaking implications for the global economy."

My family still boycott's nestle's!

And slave diamonds too.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I applaud the idea....

But, I caution the heavy reliance of 'common wisdom' regarding the 'business' of self-sustenance.

You may also wish to explore this slide presentation: www.slideshare.net...

Ideally, the world should be (or at least could be) populated with billions of independent journalists, each capable of observing and relaying facts that an editorial team could collect, collate, compile into a synthesized useful form for any audience interested in the product.

However, we know several things. Media has a nearly-all-consuming passionate hatred of competition, especially "grass roots" (i.e. non-corporate) competition. The media has been converted into a political influence peddling racket and they can, and will, use 'government' regulators and scrutiny to torment and abuse all possible sources of revenue leaks. The more effective the 'informal' news organization is, the more likely it will be undermined, attacked, usurped, or otherwise eliminated.

Sound paranoid? Think Murdoch.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you for your post. The reason it should start out from a printer, not a printing press is because its portable, and if one is targetted, but a big nonprofit group is behind the whole local presence, it would be safer. I feel they can stamp out one fire, but if its lots of little fires, yet a real public will to continue to share their real opinions, only a few get in the editorials on papers, this would give many an outlet for sharing their voices, so people might value this platform, and thus for every fire they douse, many more would spring up filling the void. At least that is my hope.
People power, many fires!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
i'm definitely all for this idea...an internet radio station will be easy to set up, we'd have to see about getting a dedicated server to handle all the bandwidth, though....i'm sure there are still people on this site that are on dial-up connections...which are pretty much useless, these days. i, for one...am already equipped to go live online with a radio broadcast (shoutcast)....now if we could get others that are familiar with internet radio broadcasting, and have a working knowledge of the software, etc....then we'd be set, in no time.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by moonweed

This is exactly the way to get communities together, and if people are encouraged to participate, learn skills, even offer several hours run by high school students or the local college, in multi media, they'll start to do the research themselves.

Thank you for you post, I think community radio stations along with ATS type street views, would be a really good platform, that easily get fundraising via advertising and kick off some informative fun community events.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
is there anyone here that's already familiar with webcasting?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

No, but I just looked it up:
en.wikipedia.org...

A webcast is a media presentation distributed over the Internet using streaming media technology to distribute a single content source to many simultaneous listeners/viewers. A webcast may either be distributed live or on demand. Essentially, webcasting is “broadcasting” over the Internet.

The largest "webcasters" include existing radio and TV stations, who "simulcast" their output, as well as a multitude of Internet only "stations". The term webcasting usually refers to non-interactive linear streams or events. Rights and licensing bodies offer specific "webcasting licenses" to those wishing to carry out Internet broadcasting using copyrighted material.

I'm also interested in a linux solution like this:

www.howtoforge.com...

Tutorial : How to host your own radio station with Icecast! Part 1/2

Ubuntu: VLC Streaming Server an VLC Client

How to setup a streaming music computer/server

forums.techarena.in...
Setup Online Radio Station Server on Ubuntu Linux

edit on 17-7-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
for people starting out with webcasting, those programs are pretty easy to handle....i'm all set up with pro software...i'm just waiting to get paid for some work i did recently, then i'll be investing in a decent headset/microphone, then i'll be pretty much ready to go live...the more people we have to do live shows, the better....i think the goal would be to have a 24/7 show going online

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by uf009

wireless security with liberty and justice for all

on line freedom- accept no substitutes.

www.techspot.com...

Ensure you are private, secure, and anonymous online... 100% free.

Hotspot Shield creates a virtual private network (VPN) between your laptop and the wireless router. This impenetrable tunnel prevents snoopers and hackers from viewing your email, instant messages, credit card information or anything else you send over a wireless network. Which means you remain anonymous and protect your privacy.

edit on 18-7-2011 by uf009 because: voices in my head

thanks for the tip....i'll look into that..i've tried those so-called "IP address hiders", but those are useless...they don't hide or change anything

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It sounds like your very close to being ready. I'm in the research stage. This needs to be done in every town and region. They can connect, ie. be involved with each other, and a team working on each one even, and then exporting the model to the next area. But One would be an easy target for the PTB, whereas, having a couple million fires is a lot harder, especially if they're all free or low cost, so theres back up fires in every area too, should anyone be targetted.

I'm very interested in what you're doing.

Could you itemize a list of what you did, to prepare, get ready, and perhaps some links for setups. This, with a newsletter for additional news, advertisements paying for it, so delivered door to door, with a big promotion for the online radio would bring media back into the grassroots public's hands.

I see, a radio, with blocks for Coast To Coast or Project Camelot type interviews, some conspiracy, some more political, like real journalists that used to interview and get the other side on issues. Some time for spiritual preparation, but not Church programs per say, but bringing wider awareness. So almost like a good forum with blocks of time for Breaking News, General Conspiracy, Metaphysics/Relgion, but from a non traditional viewpoint, and Awareness. Time set up for solutions, grass roots projects, things that are being tried as experiments, things that work, meetings and minutes even.

Your view and focus is of course your own, what issues are behind getting ready? How you would see it set up.

But for someone setting up quickly, one model that is working, that could adapted to others, who can operate in unison when wished, ie. spread those interviews around, that would be really positive. So each area can work with the media outlets in all other areas as One in Unity, and the Many in One, with regional flavors and interests, at the same time.

And it should be a learning project too. Ie. community involvement. Think of how quickly support and education on topics might spread if there was a two or more hour block 4 or more times a week where other in the community, and students, had practice time online, directing some of their own projects. Maybe every day.
edit on 18-7-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I see a wee problem. I'll use me as an example. If I started a tv show or newspaper, it'd be slanted towwards my conservative views.
Imagine Rupert Murdoch on a scotch binge and you'd have my network.

We need ATS where there are multiple voices of all stripes.
Even a liberal or two.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So I'm seeing a 24/hour radio, with blocks set for different things, some very focused on community interests that draw in a large crowd being educated on the world, and conspiracies, while they're focusing on having fun, creating their own media projects and air time blocks, students, groups in the community. Sister projects launching off from the one. Here we have a cable channel, that is First Nations network. So this would including a regular block for their programs and research. ie the focus on information/awareness. Corruption, real issues, some news, interviews, and Solutions. Not enough Solutions, things groups are doing that work and shine light, spotllights on local artists, crafts, and muscicians, writers, thinkers, local journalists. Etc Etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is my media outlet.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

See my post above. Of course there is a slant. All the media is slanted, this has the grass roots, we see the corruption slant, and gets to the problem solving in local groups issues, spotlights solutions and projects to help, up and running. ie a community seed bank, alternative energy, survival issues....... that would be a great project. But it should be done in blocks offering focus on community groups, and students, having their own self directed time.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

So far mine too. But its not most peoples. This is about doing media/newsletter (grassroots cheap newspapers with real issues going door to door paid for by advertising) and radio station, in every community. Many many fires that can network and act as one and act as many, making it alot harder to be shut down, waking up large numbers, who nonetheless, don't have to be forced to the issues and conspiracies and corruption of the system, but can start to do their own projects and research, and solutions. So really a muscle flexing growing learning event by people who normally don't go on ATS. Citizens grassroots network.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I think it'd be a neat idea, but it would have to have it's own set of T&C to keep it. . . wait for it. . . . . wait for it. . . . . . . . . .

Fair and balanced.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If I may; it is important not to adopt the "news delivery" model which prevails in many of the articles we see and have no choice but to use as sources....

While each person brings their own perspective to anything they might designate as "news" (an unavoidable aspect of being human) it is possible to specify the factual elements of any story, and not fall into the trap of characterization and engaging in grotesquely self-serving hyperbole and generalization.

Often these 'traps' are embedded in the verbiage we see bandied about by news writers.....

What is most important is editorial integrity and journalistic honesty. Frankly, the press had the potential to be so important to our society that I would have expected a serious oath of conduct to have existed for the professionals in the industry, much like the one politicians, doctors, and lawyers, fail to take seriously many times.

By the way... "facts" are neither fair nor are they balanced.... fact simply are.

Perhaps creating a format which allows for the facts to exists an unassailable and different matter than the narrative of the report..... just spit-balling an idea out there for you to consider.
edit on 18-7-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I may do it in a light-hearted way, but there is an inherent danger in any bias.

Something that should be taken seriously.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm not quite sure on what you're saying, perhaps a bit more clarification. What I interpreted was to be as unbiased as possible, which brings a few thoughts up I have on that issue.

1. The media just a few decades ago, were not just "repeaters" like they are today, almost an extra arm of national security. As an insider friend told me, one could easily put out logical factual topics in the media, but putting forth an interview with experts, where the script was all done ahead of time, and we're basically watching a fictional piece, but due to the intelligence and credentials involved, we believe this to be fact, when its not even close. History can be rewritten or perception of events shaped with outright lies this way on any subject.

In the past, at least an attempt was made to get to the other side, and bring forth a multitude of opinions and evidence from the opposite viewpoints. I grew up on Jack Webster, and hours of news, that dug out a fuller perspective.

For example, you know there is a problem when a well known journalist, ie in eastern Canada, I believe his name was Solomon, was interviewing one of the newly elected NDP house members from Quebec and brought out the Osama issue, and whether he thought the photos would be released. Solomon said the new politician had committed an embarassing blunder by not supporting the official story, which he didn't. He didn't believe it.

It was so outrageous, I kept saying to everyone I knew. How is it that the politician, the one supposed to be bought off and corrupt , is the one who is offering the alternative viewpoint, and the reporter, the one supposed to be rejecting the official viewpoint, and bringing up all sorts of alternatives and interviewing the side of the issues, is embarrassed that he didn't accept the official view put out. Thats ludicrous. A role reversal.

So, ask yourself, what is truth? Is there a factual platform to stand on even? I think alot of the facts need to be seriously questioned!

2. Its best to give blocks to some different views, but not the official ones per sae, they have mainstream repeaters already, they don't need us. We need to be the alternative views.

But with a real focus on community solutiions, grass roots projects, student (high school and college level, projects), non profit groups having a real voice conducting their own documentary or interviews.

In envision, the computers, printers, being in many homes around the area, home offices, set ups, and if growing also in a local office building. But this way there would be what I call portables, where people can work in unison,and get together.

Projects can involve, local co-ops for fair trade goods, so there is equalizing the world over, and children go to school.

Projects for the homeless.

For justice. I came into this thread from the thread on women disappearing, many were native, with much allegation of a conspiracy of corruption that went to high levels, and voices that had been silenced in the native community that brought this up from time to time.

And yet I see, survival groups, meetups for alternative energy devices being put together by teenagers, street interviews, public views, mainstream issues, conspiracy issues, new breaking stories, but getting to all sides, showing how easy it is to set up a lie. Projects where local youths and citizens had a chance to be the reporters and radio announcers, conduct interviews. Promotion of local businesses so we can buy and trade from each other more.

Alternative internets, with all these computers linked up so that if the power goes out, with the energy devices, and the computers we can get a network up and running again.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join