It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US soldiers open fire on school and other public buildings during drillin germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
www.welt.de...

interesting development in germany...it seems that during an exercise the soldiers 'accidentally' shot at civilian buildings...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

Good thing no one was hurt. Could be a very different situation.

Translation:

In one exercise U.S. soldiers have fired on civilian buildings in the Upper Palatinate. "They were shooting clearly in the wrong direction", said the Army. At a shooting range with a machine gun at the Grafenwoehr training area in the Upper Palatinate U.S. soldiers have taken a vocational school and residential building under fire.

The incident last Friday was currently being investigated, said the U.S. military. "The shot has quite clearly in the wrong direction," a spokeswoman said the military training area on request. The bullets had taken on the training ground troops in two houses, a depot and at the Sports Center.

Outside the military base one's home and the professional school of St. Michael works were made. People are not harmed. The school was closed that is, when it was fired upon, sources said.

edit on 11-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Here's the original link in German: www.welt.de..." target="_blank" class="postlink">U.S. soldiers fire on school and residential buildings

Here's the best Google Translate can do:

In one exercise U.S. soldiers have fired on civilian buildings in the Upper Palatinate. "They were shooting clearly in the wrong direction", said the Army.

At a shooting range with a machine gun at the Grafenwoehr training area in the Upper Palatinate U.S. soldiers have taken a vocational school and residential building under fire. The incident last Friday was currently being investigated, said the U.S. military.

"The shot has quite clearly in the wrong direction," a spokeswoman said the military training area on request. The bullets had taken on the training ground troops in two houses, a depot and at the Sports Center.

Outside the military base one's home and the professional school of St. Michael works were made. People are not harmed. The school was closed that is, when it was fired upon, sources said.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
US military doing what it does best. Shoot at the wrong targets.
US marines...making friendly fire into an artform.
Hardly suprising really given their standard of literacy they most likely dont know their left from their North.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Having been to “Graf”, as the Soldiers call it, multiple times, this is actually a common occurrence. Sights aren’t properly calibrated, Soldiers use to much explosive during training, etc.

The building was not directly targeted and yes, careers will be ruined because of it. There is always a investigation into these events.

Every Nation who uses Grafenwoehr has had these types of accidents. Look at Google Earth. Grafenwoehr is surrounded by towns, many of which I have quaffed a few Brew-has. They all have stories of stray rounds. People have been killed and injured before from them.

This is what happens when you have a live fire training area within a populated area. Blame the German government, not the American in this case. They allow it to continue.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Blame the German government, not the American in this case. They allow it to continue.

I guess Americans aren't suited to evaluate if the shooting grounds they are sett up to practice on are safe.
Or suited to figure out in which direction they are allowed to fire their weapons. I bet there are some rules which apply to this shooting range?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by TDawgRex

Blame the German government, not the American in this case. They allow it to continue.

I guess Americans aren't suited to evaluate if the shooting grounds they are sett up to practice on are safe.
Or suited to figure out in which direction they are allowed to fire their weapons. I bet there are some rules which apply to this shooting range?

They can figure out which range the fire came from and what unit was responsible. Trust me. People will get fried for this.

Check out Graf on Google Earth. It actually is a small post compared to those in the states. They all fire into the center. But because one Soldier didn't do his job calibrating a Mortar sights, I experienced a rather heavy barrage there.

I also had a 2LT not pay attention to his OP Order during a training exercise and order us to use 40lbs of C4 to blow a bridge that the engineers had built. It only required 4lbs. That was an interesting explosion and shut Graf down for two days while they looked into the matter. But I must admit, I was young and thought it was quite awesome at the time. Never did see that LT after that though.

You know the saying…*Snip* happens.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

This is what happens when you have a live fire training area within a populated area. Blame the German government, not the American in this case. They allow it to continue.

I do not know. Here every time before firing at a range borders of an area in which direction to fire are clearly defined by officers and sergeants. Even if you do it for gozzilionth time in the same range. Flaw in design and location of range still should not cause fire in opposite direction, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

You also have apathy in play. When you've been to the same range time and time again, people become complacent. Many don't, but some do, and all it takes is one.

I've always thought of Graf as one of the most dangerous ranges around, specifically becausre of the towns that surround it and from the stories I heard from the locals. I took every range seriously once I had experiance and became a NCO.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Guys, if you look up Grafenwoehr in Google Earth, they seriously built the gun range facing the town. Not away but towards it, haha i think that is ridiculous its self.

I got 5.86 miles for the distance from the origin of the rounds fired from the shooting range to about the median of the populated area of Grafenwoehr.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MConnalley

Remember, their are more than just one town surrounding the place. Anything above 7.62 NATO, if fired improperly will reach any of those towns. I have seen the bullet holes myself. In buildings built after WWII.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HologramDenier

Your'e funny guy.

Do you even bother to do a little research or have you lost your filter and allow your fingers to type stupid *Snip*.

Just wondering.
edit on 11-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: spelling

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
some one went gun crazy. its part of the training.
"They were shooting clearly in the wrong direction", said the Army.
I wish some civilian psychiatrists could get a good look at them.
but that would let a secret out. they are sick mindless monsters.
we would see what monsters the army trains.
US troops like to shoot every one.
Un freindly fire.
Its so they can and will Kill american civilians.
they would shoot there own mother and father.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Do you "Baaaaaa!" at everything that has a possible military connection?

Just wondering?

For your, how shall we say, education. If you see a sponser page, just close it.

www.docstoc.com...

edit on 11-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join