It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flavor of Ego

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ego, the self, is the source of all suffering according to Eastern and Western traditions and the true nature of existence is found in unification with Infinite Divinity, call it God or whatever you will. So what then is the purpose in separation; for the division of creation? Many would say that it is the Infinite expressing itself, experiencing division. If this is true, shouldn't we celebrate this division as divine in and of itself? I believe so, yes.

It's this division, our ego, that makes us weep. I believe this to be true. But I also believe that it is this division that allows us to laugh as well. As has been said many times by many others and bears repeating; one side can not be measured without understanding its opposite side. Their is no joy without sorrow. There can be no laughter without tears. There is no love without the shadow of hate.

Besides, it isn't permanent after all
Nothing in this existence is. Whether you are spiritually inclined or not, this is an indisputable fact. And we can briefly taste the reunion of the Finite with the Infinite. Most commonly through sex.

So be glad. Happiness is something that happens. Be joyous in this glorious separation. That doesn't mean to value it above all else but to value it as is appropriate. As the juxtaposition of the Finite to the Infinite. The ability to smile through our tears. The flavor, if you will.

Namaste,
Traveler in the Dark
edit on 11/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: because

edit on 11/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: ego

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I would totally disagree with that premise.
The ego is a creation of the mind to favor the physical body.
Basically, it is an attempt to justify, legitimize and materialize something out of nothing to give self validity.

I suggest you read The Tibetan Book of the Dead, by Robert A.F. Thurman with a forward by The Dalai Lama.
I am not a Buddhist, but the book clearly explains the falsehood of the ego like nothing else found in Western thought.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
I would totally disagree with that premise.

Is it ironic that I don't disagree with you? As I understand it, with full knowledge that "I" is the ego which is referred to and without which I would not be responding, the ego and division from the Infinite is in fact illusory, but that doesn't mean it is without value. Nor is it without value to believe otherwise. Every perspective creates the impermanent reality in which we live.

In other words there is nothing to seek freedom from when the thing we wish to escape is an illusion. So why not enjoy it for what it is?

And thank you for the book suggestion.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I have some notion of the Tibetan book of the dead.
The ego it refer to, is the ego that follows you birth after birth and death after death....in simple terms it refer to the You, the one that is born the one that embody many different persona as reincarnation progress.
The book is a guid to evolution, it's guiding you to the next step of your soul evolution. It teaches you all the steps that you will encounter before reaching the high plain of soul evolution.
The misconception of the ego is a material one. People that have never experienced the selfless state as assume that the ego is a separated part of the human...they read too much instead of doing nothing...which is more productive to oneself ...doing nothing!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The closest flavour of the ego is a bright white frequency.

Look, take an animal, it has a spirit that operates in a specific direction, if you reverse its polarity, it becomes evil, however, if you reverse its polarity without it being able to perceive, then, you basically can "ensoul" an animal - there are beings that have implanted a system that allows the concept to be explored within the confines of a system, however, due to mistakes in the past, the system has been combined and mutated in ways that have had undesirable consequences to all animal species that were involved in the genetic combinations.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
Ego, the self, is the source of all suffering according to Eastern and Western traditions and the true nature of existence is found in unification with Infinite Divinity, call it God or whatever you will. So what then is the purpose in separation; for the division of creation? Many would say that it is the Infinite expressing itself, experiencing division. If this is true, shouldn't we celebrate this division as divine in and of itself? I believe so, yes.

It's this division, our ego, that makes us weep. I believe this to be true. But I also believe that it is this division that allows us to laugh as well. As has been said many times by many others and bears repeating; one side can not be measured without understanding its opposite side. Their is no joy without sorrow. There can be no laughter without tears. There is no love without the shadow of hate.

Besides, it isn't permanent after all
Nothing in this existence is. Whether you are spiritually inclined or not, this is an indisputable fact. And we can briefly taste the reunion of the Finite with the Infinite. Most commonly through sex.

So be glad. Happiness is something that happens. Be joyous in this glorious separation. That doesn't mean to value it above all else but to value it as is appropriate. As the juxtaposition of the Finite to the Infinite. The ability to smile through our tears. The flavor, if you will.

Namaste,
Traveler in the Dark
edit on 11/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: because

edit on 11/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: ego

The separation you are referring to, duality, is inherent in the design of creation. It's not that we are separate from ourselves through what is called "ego". We are separate from ourselves because existence would otherwise be impossible.

Who is the "ourselves" I am referring to? Infinity. But infinity isn't just infinity. Infinity is nothing. It can't be any other way. Read my signature. Then read this: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This paradox of infinity and nothing exist as one "entity". Their is a potential difference between the two concepts as one concept that allows for the flow of creation. In the world of infinity/nothing, there is no difference between right or wrong, good or evil, male or female. It is all completely opposite yet one thing. It has to be one thing. Again, read my signature.

Now, duality is one thing, but you are referring to duality as the difference between ego and self. Duality is okay and in fact necessary for existence to be possible. Duality is a perfectly desirable condition, otherwise there would be no experience, so be thankful for your polar opposites. However, the ego is an entirely different duality altogether. The ego is the erroneous belief in the separation of us from nature. You are right to believe that this is dangerous. But you are wrong in assuming that the ego is anything but a human creation. People try to transcend the ego to move to higher states of consciousness. They go about it the wrong way. You know why? Because most of them don't realize that the ego is directly born from materialism. When you disassociate yourself from materialism, you lose your ego. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

You know why? Because most of them don't realize that the ego is directly born from materialism. When you disassociate yourself from materialism, you lose your ego.

Answer:

I am not so good with all ATS feature so I just copy and paste the lines that are above from your last post.
Now, what you say about the ego is the opposite of what I know ...notice that I don't say the truth...the ego isn't born from materialism, the ego is always there before and after your death. The ego take deferent persona as deferent incarnation progress. The skill is to control your ego in this life time so you can clam one more step of the soul evolution ladder. The ego is in an animal body so sometime it have to deal with instinct which can be very unfamiliar to him. Hence disorder in behaviour.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kacou

You know why? Because most of them don't realize that the ego is directly born from materialism. When you disassociate yourself from materialism, you lose your ego.

Answer:

I am not so good with all ATS feature so I just copy and paste the lines that are above from your last post.
Now, what you say about the ego is the opposite of what I know ...notice that I don't say the truth...the ego isn't born from materialism, the ego is always there before and after your death. The ego take deferent persona as deferent incarnation progress. The skill is to control your ego in this life time so you can clam one more step of the soul evolution ladder. The ego is in an animal body so sometime it have to deal with instinct which can be very unfamiliar to him. Hence disorder in behaviour.

e·go    /ˈigoʊ, ˈɛgoʊ/ Show Spelled[ee-goh, eg-oh] Show IPA noun, plural e·gos. 1. the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.

The ego is simply what you think of yourself. While true, everyone has an opinion of what they are. Humans create a false sense of identity by surrounding themselves with material things. They begin to identify themselves with human material creations... "I am better than you because I drive this and you drive that". "I am better because my house is bigger than yours". Humans classify themselves in categories based on their acquisition of material human ideas.

When you take away the material things that keep you separate from the rest of nature, you realize your true place among nature. This position is much better, imo, than any superficial position that people lead themselves to believe they are in.

You discover your true self. That is what "getting rid of the ego" is all about. Its not about getting rid of yourself, its about getting rid of your false sense of self.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I agree with you, especially how you can't have laughter without sorrow, or high times without low.

There is a book called Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. it's more like two books in one, but The End of the World is about a land where the people gave up their shadows. They also have no suffering, no sorrow, but at the same time they have no love, no happiness. They merely live to do what they have to do. The choices they face are to do what is most rational, without even thinking that there might be a better choice. Because to be torn between two choices would be a type of suffering, and even that they don't have to face.

It's a pretty morbid story, and I'm just happy we don't have to live like that. If you like fiction, you might enjoy it. It's definitely a very interesting read.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Hello,
Again I tell you this is not about getting rid off your ego as changing the ego view and prospect in life hence multiple reincarnation until you wise up.
Fundamentally who is asking all this questions and needs to get rid off a certain aspect of oneself?
I repeat the ego is here now with you and after the Now. It only evaluate.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

There is the Self and there is the false self (imagined self).
The false, imagined self is the Ego.

The 'Self' is all there is. One.
Then the human imagines the extra self, the me. This is the egoic self that makes images of itself in the past or future. Images, pictures, stories of 'me' are Ego.

In this moment right now, with no thought about anything, there really is only the Self (one).
The mind made image of me, in the past or future, is a false image (it only exists within the darkness of the mind). Any 'image' is only an image, it has no power to do anything.
The power is always present now in this everpresent moment and you are always where now is.

The ego can not live within the now, it doesn't even know that now exists.
The ego is terrified of now and hides it from the real Self with duality (past/future, right/wrong, good/bad).
As soon as the Self sees the real Self the ego dies.
I am/this is. (Non dual).

The real Self is whole and complete right here and right now.
But, the ego splits the Self into fragments - tomorrow, yesterday, in five minutes, mom, brother, work.
This is called stress and no wonder.
When the Self recognizes it's own being peace will be known.
It is home.
edit on 13-7-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

There is only one of you here, there is no one to get rid of.
Have you ever listened to your thinking and thought 'who is this I and who is this me?' and 'which one should I listen to, which one is right?'.

Firstly, look for the thinker, see who it is that is doing the thinking, find where the thoughts are arising from, where they appear.
Thoughts appear, but no one is thinking, there is no 'you' putting thoughts there, they just appear like clouds in the sky.
The thought had to arise within something (a cloud can not appear unless there was sky first) to be seen.
You are not thought because you see the thought.
You are like the sky, clear and open, and thoughts are like clouds passing by.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
You are the clear space in which all thoughts appear.
You are the space in which the whole world appears.
Each appearance is just an appearance that appears and disappears.

Take away all appearances and what remains?
Each moment is appearing and it is seen, known, experienced as a tactile 'thing'.
What is it that is experiencing?

The Self is a feeling being.
The Ego is an image.
Do not make false images of me.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou

Hello,
Again I tell you this is not about getting rid off your ego as changing the ego view and prospect in life hence multiple reincarnation until you wise up.
Fundamentally who is asking all this questions and needs to get rid off a certain aspect of oneself?
I repeat the ego is here now with you and after the Now. It only evaluate.

I realize this. I agree. It's not about getting rid of your ego. Its about getting rid of your false sense of self as anything but natural. Its about doing away with what is unnatural in your life.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Who is writing this ?
You , your self or else?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

e·go    /ˈigoʊ, ˈɛgoʊ/ Show Spelled[ee-goh, eg-oh] Show IPA noun, plural e·gos. 1. the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.

That is what "getting rid of the ego" is all about. Its not about getting rid of yourself, its about getting rid of your false sense of self.

Very true, but everything is false that can be bound. And anything impermanent has boundaries and is within the Illusion of Paradox as it exists within the Infinite Pool of Creation and so cannot be created nor destroyed but only change forms. Which is why I embrace this reality, because I know it isn't real. Like a man in prison, I live within and without the walls and bars knowing I'm truly free even while caged. This doesn't make me superior to anyone, just more aware. This is why I can weep for those who suffer while still taking pleasure where it is found.

Btw, I agree that "nothing" is an illusion as well. I wrote a thread some time ago called "Nothing" is an Illusion, like Everything Else.

Ultimately I think of ego as a balloon. When deflated it is full of its unrealized potential. Inflate it and it is fulfilled, full in its realized potential. But we have to remember that what it's filled with is only hot air and too much will make it pop.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

That is what "getting rid of the ego" is all about. Its not about getting rid of yourself, its about getting rid of your false sense of self.

Very true, but everything is false that can be bound.

This is true as well. Reality, and duality in general, is an illusion. The problem with materialism and the enhanced false ego is that we intensify the illusion and make it more illusory. Therefore, all the problems that arise out of this human creation of the false sense of self are created by us.

And anything impermanent has boundaries and is within the Illusion of Paradox as it exists within the Infinite Pool of Creation and so cannot be created nor destroyed but only change forms. Which is why I embrace this reality, because I know it isn't real. Like a man in prison, I live within and without the walls and bars knowing I'm truly free even while caged. This doesn't make me superior to anyone, just more aware. This is why I can weep for those who suffer while still taking pleasure where it is found.

Btw, I agree that "nothing" is an illusion as well. I wrote a thread some time ago called "Nothing" is an Illusion, like Everything Else.

I agree that nothing is an "illusion" of sorts, but that is only when nothing is refered to as being separate from infinity. Without nothing being infinity, duality would not be possible. Well it would, but it would not be practical in any way.

The paradox is not the illusion. The paradox is a single concept. The dualities that arise from it are the illusion.

edit on 13-7-2011 by smithjustinb because: comma

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I agree that nothing is an "illusion" of sorts, but that is only when nothing is refered to as being separate from infinity. Without nothing being infinity, duality would not be possible. Well it would, but it would not be practical in any way.

In the thread "Nothing" is an Illusion, like Everything Else. I basically stated that nothingness is an infinite container holding the infinite of all that is using the analogy of a glass being half full and half empty. I could just as easily say (and perhaps more appropriately) that it is the space around the yin/yang of existence. I'm not sure it makes sense but the basic premise was that to observe nothingness there must be something, but nothingness implies there can be no thing, so it is a paradox and an illusion as there is no separation, only the eternal IS.

The paradox is not the illusion. The paradox is a single concept. The dualities that arise from it are the illusion.

Indeed. To be a paradox it must essentially contain at least two elements. The dualities are inherently a part of it and exist only in juxtaposition to each other. Yet the paradox is singular.

But as another illustration of it... Matter is an illusion creating a paradox. It can neither be created nor destroyed because it does not exist even though we can sense it through taste, touch, sight, sound and smell. This also demonstrates there is no true cause and effect, only the eternal IS.

Thank you for your contributions.

Namaste,
Traveler in the Dark
edit on 13/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

In the thread "Nothing" is an Illusion, like Everything Else. I basically stated that nothingness is an infinite container holding the infinite of all that is using the analogy of a glass being half full and half empty. I could just as easily say (and perhaps more appropriately) that it is the space around the yin/yang of existence.

Nothing can't be an illusion because an illusion requires that someone is observing it. All that is is finite. All that is has yin and yang, but at the point of unity there is only a paradox. You are basically saying that infinity and 'all that is' is the paradox and that nothing is the illusion.

If it is as you say, then duality is not equal and opposite.

I'm not sure it makes sense but the basic premise was that to observe nothingness there must be something, but nothingness implies there can be no thing, so it is a paradox and an illusion as there is no separation, only the eternal IS.

Nothingness cannot be observed because observation alone is something.

We can grow towards infinity and get very close, but if we ever arrive, we cease to experience it.

Indeed. To be a paradox it must essentially contain at least two elements. The dualities are inherently a part of it and exist only in juxtaposition to each other. Yet the paradox is singular.

But as another illustration of it... Matter is an illusion creating a paradox. It can neither be created nor destroyed because it does not exist even though we can sense it through taste, touch, sight, sound and smell. This also demonstrates there is no true cause and effect, only the eternal IS.

Thank you for your contributions.

Namaste,
Traveler in the Dark
edit on 13/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: (no reason given)

I am saying that nothing/infinity is the paradox and 'all that is' is the illusion.

You are basically saying that infinity is all that is real and 'nothing' and 'all that is' is an illusion.

In infinity alone, there is no potential difference. Everything is uniform. Therefore, there is no possibility for experience. This makes your "all that is" all that won't be.

An illusion exists but it isn't real. 'All that is' is an illusion, but it isn't real. Infinity is real and nothing is real but they are impossible to experience.

All illusions are finite.

edit on 13-7-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by smithjustinb because: par.

edit on 13-7-2011 by smithjustinb because: space

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kacou

Who am I?
What am I?

<<   2 >>

join