It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I be scared???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
So I am a massive horror junkie. Be it Video games, Books or Films I am always looking forward to the next scare.

The trouble I am having lately is I seem to be getting rather immune to all the rubbish cliche horror films and not finding them very scary!! I recently watched the original [Rec] in spanish and it actually had me on the edge of my seat so I am looking for suggestions on what the scariest films you have seen are and in particular any subtitled 'gems' I may have overlooked.

Help me get my fix!! List the scariest of the scary please folks!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
heyhey, good choice with the original REC.

You know I am on the same boat really when it comes to scary movies. The only one, I mean the only one, that has had me finding new places on my wall to watch would have been Paranormal Activity. I know what some may say but for me this had the nice use of suspense wich I think a lot of movies are losing.

You will have seen that by sure but I thought I would put my 20pence worth in.

The most horrid film I have ever seen, well I managed 20 mins, was August Underground Mordum, but that was just more sick and twisted than horror. Last time I fall for the sickest movies of all time list, lol.

ALthough you asked for scary I wanted to see if you had seen this film, comedy/horror called
Tucker and Dale versus Evil this is actually a decnet spin of the old chainsaw horrors.

Good topic my friend and have a good day.

Peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I would recommend watching "Enter the Void." It's not a horror, but I guarantee you, that you will be on the edge of your seat. It will also put you in a very weird mood afterwards. I even had trouble sleeping that night because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

As far as horror movie suggestions, perhaps a short list of what you have already seen. Not every movie, but a general idea of the type of horror movies so then we won't suggest a ton of movies you have already seen.

Also, do you want strictly horror movie suggestions, or would Thrillers do as well?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Thanks for your suggestions so far guys! I shall watch them as soon as I can get hold of them.

I thoroughly enjoyed paranormal activity too, despite many of my friends saying it was 'boring'. They don't have the same appreciation/understanding of horror that I do, they just wanted the gore.

I am open to thriller suggestions too to be honest since I seen pretty much every mainstream horror of the last decade or 2

Considering I have scoured over multiple lists of 'Top Horrors' and watched pretty much all of them, ideally I am looking for the hidden gems of the horror genre. You know those almost unheard of low/mid budget films that slip under the radar straight to DVD types! All they have to be is scary and or unique

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Here's these for now, hopefully you haven't seen all of them.

Janghwa, Hongryeon AKA Tale of Two Sisters
(A family is haunted by the tragedies of deaths within the family.)

Shutter
(A young photographer and his girlfriend discover mysterious shadows in their photographs after a tragic accident. They soon learn that you can not escape your past.)

Stir of Echoes
(After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around her.)

Stir of Echoes: The Homecoming
(A soldier returns home from the Iraq war only to be haunted by visions of the dead.)

Storm of the Century
(A small village off the mainland is about to receive a huge winter storm. It won't be just another storm for them.)

The Haunting in Connecticut
(After a family is forced to relocate for their son's health, they begin experiencing supernatural behavior in their new home, which turns out to be a former mortuary.)

The Mist
(A freak storm unleashes a species of blood-thirsty creatures on a small town, where a small band of citizens hole-up in a supermarket and fight for their lives.)

The Stepfather
(Michael returns home from military school to find his mother happily in love and living with her new boyfriend. As the two men get to know each other, he becomes more and more suspicious of the man who is always there with a helpful hand.)

The Unborn
(A young woman fights the spirit that is slowly taking possession of her.)
edit on 7/11/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
My wife and I recently watched "Insidious". We both found ourselves jumping and yelping out loud frequently during the movie.

I found it to be the best scary movie that I have watched in quite awhile!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalbluco

Thanks for the in-depth reply dude, I will certainly look into the few of those I haven't seen!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

I watched it recently but didn't enjoy it!
It started so promisingly but I thought it went down-hill when they starting talking # about having to go into the astral plane or whatever it was to retrieve his kid. I love the idea of OBE's and read up on them quite a lot but this film just didn't get it right in my eyes!

Thanks for the reply dude

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Tachalka

Frontiere(s), Requiem for a Dream, Sunshine - Not all horrors but might freak you out a little

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Tachalka

Surprising...I'd think that if you could allow yourself to be engrossed in something like Paranormal Activity...then you could do the same for Insidious. I found that one to be one of the scariest since The Ring... (I love scary movies)...

Did you see Paranormal Activity 2? If you liked the first one, you'll likely enjoy this one. Same formula, pretty much.

top topics

join