It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dozens' of Women Vanish From Canadian Wilderness

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

the broad

just because some of the women you contact say they were raped or were forced to blow a cop means nothing

because these lazy red bums are to blame as much as the murderer

these women need to start leaving their cultural comfort zone and begin starting families with real men.

Honestly, if I were an investigator - I’d be finding out just who you are and I’d be checking you out.

Your racism, your hate, your condemnation, your judgmental attitude and blatant 'holier than thou' egoism? YOU are someone who would be on the top of my list to question!

Where were YOU when the last Aboriginal woman disappeared? Because even if you have an alibi? Someone JUST LIKE YOU - was out murdering a ‘red’ woman.

It’s THIS kind of hate and rage and absolute ignorance that gets women killed. Gets anyone killed.

It's someone just like you who trolls the 'Highway of Tears' looking for another victim to murder to feed your hate.

God how I pity you.

peace

edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: flame

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
maybe it was a snatchsquatch?

there is a lot of road and time in them 43 disappearances.

does not sound too unusual.

sad, for sure but not out of line.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Do you think that's funny? Really? 'Snatch' - a sexually degrading word used for women?

Look, we're talking GENOCIDE here. Were talking HUNDREDS of women - missing - murdered.

A HIGHWAY of TEARS...

And you're being the cornball of the class yucking it up.

It's these kinds of jokes, and attitudes that get women killed.

As for your assumptions?

In 2009 Canada had murders in the 600's. That's all. Now, if you can do the math, figure out the percentage of those murders involving Aboriginal woman and you'll soon see that this is absolutely 'out of line'.

So, for you this doesn't sound 'unusual'. Hmm, forgive me if I'm not surprised.

peace
edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: flames

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

snatch as in "take or steal" dude.

hundreds go missing all over the place.

everywhere.

canada is not special, eh?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

The term Aboriginal merely describes a person who is not only resident in, but native to an area. For instance, an aboriginal Australian would be one of the people there who is related to persons who were living there before European settlers arrived. The same thing can be said of aboriginal Canadians. Rather than being partly French or British in terms of ancestry , they are gene traceable back to a point before European settlement. The term also applies to the North American tribes, who can also trace thier history back to before Europeans settled the Americas.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Some of you need to get your heads out of the tabloids and do some thinking not emoting.

Have any of you taken a look at the terrain on Google Maps or Google Earth between Prince Rupert and Prince George, British Columbia?? If not you should.

How many women of any kind do you think are available in that territory??? Who are the most common types available.

How many shopping malls are located there. How man Macy's...Pennys ..or whatever department stores are to be found there ..you know ..the places where women of all kinds are to be found.

Do women immediately and in huge numbers ..flock to uncharted territories..or do they tend to wait until the territories are developed by someone else and then move in. Only the most hearty and bold of women go out into territory like this...the undeveloped wilderness.

That leaves mostly native women.

Some of you are so preconditioned to think racism...racism is the cause of every and anything today. It is textbook of public education today.

This is a huge undeveloped area to cover...by police or the RCMP. I can see why they hesitate to go deep into this type of missing peoples. I doubt that their budgets are set up for this. Something which would not generally be told to the public. Only if someone wants to get elected will monies be sufficiently allotted to this issue. Sad but true.

What I also find astonishing is that for such an wilderness..Canadian gun laws are so restrictive. If people and particularly women were allowed to go armed out here ...there would be a very different result.

At least someone here in the USA has gotten smart and allowed people in public parks to be armed. I was recently up on the skyline drive and stopped at the visitors center. There were signs on the doors stating.."No firearms allowed." I found it funny and ironic that the park rangers were concerned about an armed public...but it was ok ...the other way around with the public disarmed and vulnerable to both two and four legged wildlife but the rangers safe. This is pubic education/stupidity at work...disarming people. I am glad that someone finally got it straight and allowed the pubic to be armed on Park lands.

You gotta go to public schools to get that stupid..people are not that naturally stupid on their own.
Arming people in public parks has not produced big wild west shoot outs as predicted by the doom and gloomers.
Most peoples armed or not do not want to bother people nor do they want to be bothered.

I believe if many of these women were armed...the missing and killings would have severely dropped off as it has in many cities.

This is also a place where alcohol and drugs are widespread ...particularly among the native peoples. This is unfortunate. I am sure it contributes heavily to their victimization across a wide gulf of opportunities missed.
It would also contribute heavily to many of these women becoming easy prey.

Drop the racism bit..and do some thinking...look up google earth and google maps...see how widespread and undeveloped is this area. Rocky and mountainous.

Is this the type of place where cell phone service is very common..or would there be huge gaps in the service availability?? I think mostly in certain of the larger cities. And furthermore ..what peoples up there would even be able to afford cell phone services.
I think that so many peoples up there have lived for so long without it...it is not a big priority amongst many. It is a wonderful convenience..but service would be spotty as well...particularly considering the terrain.

The key here is the vulnerability of these women..not their race per se.
The most easily available and vulnerable women by numbers is native women. That is pretty obvious just by looking at the territorial maps and the development of this area.

I agree with some of the posters..not all of these missing peoples have been women. But women would indeed be the most vulnerable.

Oh..and one more thing..the PC nature of Canada as well as the rigged tabloid media..both here and in Canada. Think about that as well.

A sting operation is what is needed here.

Thanks,
Orangetom
edit on 11-7-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by something wicked

The term Aboriginal merely describes a person who is not only resident in, but native to an area. For instance, an aboriginal Australian would be one of the people there who is related to persons who were living there before European settlers arrived. The same thing can be said of aboriginal Canadians. Rather than being partly French or British in terms of ancestry , they are gene traceable back to a point before European settlement. The term also applies to the North American tribes, who can also trace thier history back to before Europeans settled the Americas.

Thanks TrueBrit. Can't say I've heard it described as such for anyone other than indiginous Australians - that's my learning for the day.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Drop the racism bit..and do some thinking..

‘Racism’ can work both ways - predators on the outside of the culture preying within, and the culture itself preying on it’s own.

That being said?

Over 500 Aboriginal Women Have Been Murdered Or Gone Missing

In the summer of 2008 Carolyn Connolly and Katelynn Sampson (pictured left), two Aboriginal women, were murdered days apart in two different neighbourhoods in Toronto. Local newspapers reported the murders, but no real action from police and government was seen, and still hasn’t been seen.

The Jane Creba tragedy is not the only tragedy that has happened in Toronto. Many women of colour go missing and are murdered without any media attention or care from society. Over 500 Aboriginal women have been murdered and have gone missing in Canada in the last twenty years and most Canadians don’t know or care about this. When a white woman is killed it’s a tragedy and the whole country mourns.

No action plan on missing aboriginal women

Women's status ministers declared solidarity with the hundreds of protesters who took to Parliament Hill on Tuesday to raise awareness about violence against aboriginal women. But the ministers won't set up a national action plan on the issue, despite repeated requests from women's groups over the years.

"Our missing and murdered women and girls are suffering from neglect — neglect by the Canadian government that does not recognize them,"

"Our missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls, their rights have been violated. They have not received the proper investigation and support that they deserve,"

List of missing, murdered aboriginal women in Canada grows

OTTAWA — Over the past year, 62 names have been added to the list of missing and murdered aboriginal women in Canada.

A total of 582 women — up from 520 last year — are now on that list; women who were mothers, daughters, and friends...

While aboriginal women make up three per cent of the population, they represent 10 per cent of the reported homicides, almost half of which are unsolved. By contrast, the overall clearance rate for homicides in Canada is 84 per cent.

The homicide rate for aboriginal women is almost seven times greater than non-aboriginal women.

Get it?

peace

edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: link

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for posting this. S&F&

...Scanned the thread but didn't see any mention of Winnipeg or Manitoba - HUGE issue here too. Lots of Aboriginal women gone missing, murdered - and ignored by police and the media. It's now getting some press, but not enough.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Here's a link for the missing in Manitoba.

Unbelievable. The vast majority of the cases from Manitoba are also unsolved.

I was speaking to someone in U2U that asked about 'honor killings' between families of Woman of the First Nation. Something else to check out. Regardless the 'First Nation Women' are obviously not getting the attention they deserve throughout Canada.

Thank you for the post.

peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by fooks

Do you think that's funny? Really? 'Snatch' - a sexually degrading word used for women?

Look, we're talking GENOCIDE here. Were talking HUNDREDS of women - missing - murdered.

A HIGHWAY of TEARS...

And you're being the cornball of the class yucking it up.

It's these kinds of jokes, and attitudes that get women killed. Like it or not.

As for your assumptions?

In 2009 Canada had murders in the 600's. That's all. Now, if you can do the math, figure out the percentage of those murders involving Aboriginal woman and you'll soon see that this is absolutely 'out of line'.

So, for you this doesn't sound 'unusual'. Hmm, forgive me if I'm not surprised.

peace

edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: quote

you listen to me yahoo.

so what, who do you think would go missing up there. huh? how many white women?

maybe the rcmp should look at the ex's of these women, like normal police do.

do some police work, don't take it out on me, maple boy.

lots of area and time involved for the missing, NOTHING unusual.

ya got a bunch of serial killers runnin around up there. lumberjack maniacs, eh? or drunk spouses?

what's the MO? oh, just vanished? look in miami, vegas, seattle, newport, conway, wtf!?

use your head and figure it out. ya got a problem and i am empathetic.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Silo 13,

What????

‘Racism’ can work both ways - predators on the outside of the culture preying within, and the culture itself preying on it’s own.

That being said?

What????? A culture preying on it's own..is racism??? Wow!!!

Yes...we need more Racism. Where is Al Sharpton here?? You know..Jesse...and the whole cottage industry of "Usual Suspects who make a living off of Racism ??!!!"

There is a cultural vulnurability problem going on here and the best that some can do is racism. Racism too is not going to be a solution but only add PC to the already expanding problem.

That doesn't cut it for me. Neither does the techniques of the RCMP or whoever is handling this investigation.

They need a quiet series of sting operations here. Someone needs to prey on the predators. To reverse the vulnurabilities. It is obvious that the constabulary is ineffecient here and considerably out of their depth.

Predators dont work well when they discover that they might become the prey.

The most effecient tool to use on a stealth predator like a submarine..is another stealth predator ..another submarine.

The most effecient tool to use against a Sniper is a Counter Sniper.

Turn the predators into the prey.

But that wouldn't be PC would it???

But would also the loss of 50 to 100 more peoples be PC??? According to the prevailiing politics it would.

I agree with what Fooks posts..there seemt to be a significant number of serial killers up there. They would probably have gotten caught if they were operating down south below the border or in a more heavily trafficked area.

Thanks,
Orangetom

edit on 11-7-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I was wondering what conditions of the highway might have changed around 1969 and found this brief history of Highway 16:

en.wikipedia.org...

Yellowhead Highway

Borden Bridge divided highway bridges with old bridge showing arches in the background
The early Provincial Highway 14 in the east and Provincial Highway 5 to the west were built and driven on the square. In 1957, the Trans-Canada Highway opened, and soon after, the Yellowhead became eligible for federal funding.[58] The opening ceremonies for the Yellowhead were held in 1962, and the highway was finished in 1965.[59] Provincial highway 14 was widened in 1957. The route was straightened bypassing Plunkett and Viscount.
The 1957 road specifications were a right of way of 150′ and a road surface of 38′. The centre 22′ of this road was oiled, leaving 8′ gravel shoulders on each side.[34]
In 1968 the road was once again rebuilt...the right of way was widened to 180′ and the road. Improvements were made on this northern route, and on August 15, 1970, the Yellowhead Route was officially opened.[60]
This road was fully paved....In 1978 when #14 became part of the Yellowhead Route the number was changed to 16.[34]

It seems some stretch of the road was widened in the late sixties, making me wonder about the road-working crews in the area. Over 800 miles is a lot of road to maintain and it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that there would be lonely men in these crews with little to do at night.

Also, I imagine that with the road widening there would be some substantial increase in the traffic, lorries in particular.

Anyway, it's just an idea that an influx of men into the area might have put young women at risk. It would take someone with more investigative powers than mine to check on what sort of highway maintenance was going on in any particular area at the time of any disappearance.

edit on 11-7-2011 by berenike because: edited to add quote

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This reminds me of the Robert Pickton case where a bunch of women went missing from the lower east side of Vancouver, most of them first nations and women that were either prostitutes or drug users or just downright homeless.

Pickton Case

The sad thing with this as well is that the police did nothing until there was an outcry from the public. But by then it was too late. Although, I don't believe Pickton was racially motivated. Sad thing is, most people don't care what happens to the drug users or prostitutes. Regardless of their profession or social standing they are humans first and foremost and should be treated as such.

In my opinion even though most of the women missing on highway 16 were first nations, It could be that it is more opportunistic than racially motivated. A lot of people will hitch hike that stretch of highway. I think its a serial killer driving up and down that stretch of road looking for an opportunity to kill. Probably lives in the area and owns a large piece of land or knows the land in the area very well and is either well known in his community for being a quiet nice guy. Who knows, maybe its even a police officer.

It could also be that the abductor is also first nations which could provide some kind of familiarity/kinship with the victims, giving them a false sense of security.

Either way the police...like usual have dropped the ball and more needs to be done to get to the bottom of this madness....but....it probably wont happen until one of their own kids goes missing on the highway.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

They need a quiet series of sting operations here. Someone needs to prey on the predators. To reverse the vulnurabilities. It is obvious that the constabulary is ineffecient here and considerably out of their depth.

Predators dont work well when they discover that they might become the prey.

I sincerely hope 'they' try your approach. I agree - I think it's the best option. It would be a mighty fine thing to hear whoever (more than one?) that's responsible for these actions are stopped.

As for the racism remark I don' t know why it's so tough for you to grasp - and no that's not a jab at you. My point? Aboriginal women are vulnerable for a number of reasons. For anyone to prey solely on those women due to their race, is racism. It doesn't matter if the predator is Aboriginal, or not.

Added Note:

I'm not attempting to be PC.

Point and fact is these cases are racially biased if not provoked purely by race. (Two 'white' women out of 500?)

Really. These are not my opinions these are facts and all you have to do is look at the links and information I passed on to you in my last reply. That you want to try and make it into something more, or less, I've really no idea why.

Facts are facts. Aboriginal women are getting attacked and murdered. Why do you find it so difficult to grasp without trying to twist my participation i relating the facts into something else?

peace
edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

It seems some stretch of the road was widened in the late sixties, making me wonder about the road-working crews in the area. Over 800 miles is a lot of road to maintain and it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that there would be lonely men in these crews with little to do at night.

Now that's thinking!

Can you imagine the workmen needed for such a project? Needless to say even if they were all from the area or not - that's a huge influx.

Exceptional points! It needs looking into for sure.

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

MOD EDIT;
DO NOT ADD COMMENT AFTER A POST IS REMOVED
edit on Mon Jul 11 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I realise that for some this post may be view as controversial but for the most part these woman are sex trade workers (source here www.highwayoftears.ca...) Now unfortunately there are social reasons that some of these woman have fallen into a terrible life. but the saddest part of this is that the lifestyle can /will bring a world of heartache down on them. these are often the 'forgotten" runaways and the most vulnerable.

The highway of tears in Canada is probably some of the most secluded country in Canada and has that terrible history where woman are discarded like trash in a ditch on the side of the highway...with no one any the wiser.

some get found and some don't...... The problem is a social one and until women are protected from this kind of madness that comes with the sex trade... it will continue.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

there in Canada the group "Stolen Sisters" has documented more than 520 cases of missing and slain aboriginal women across Canada.
you can find their group here
edit on 11-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join