It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dozens' of Women Vanish From Canadian Wilderness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

'Dozens' of Women Vanish From Canadian Wilderness

www.newser.com

So many women have disappeared along the 837-mile stretch of Highway 16 that cuts through the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia that people have started calling it "The Highway of Tears,"

Over the last three decades, 18 women have gone missing on the highway, according to police—although local aboriginal leaders say the true number is closer to 43.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thedailybeast.com

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
43? Over three decades? And we (only) hear about this now when a 'white' woman 'goes missing?'

This is frightening on so many levels.

It's got some real ugly racist undertones if the target is in fact Aboriginal women.

As for missing woman Madison Scott, police are keeping quiet about the investigation. They say there is no indication that Scott is a victim of foul play, or that she was hitchhiking when she disappeared. “We haven’t ruled anything out, but there is no indication [her disappearance] has anything to do with Highway 16,” said RCMP Sgt. Rob Vermeulen. “It is a mystery. There is no evidence of what happened to her.”

There's 'no indication' this woman's disappearance has anything to do with the 'Highway of Tears' - confirming it's easy to assume the killer or killers are targeting Aboriginal woman.

peace

www.newser.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Later this month, officials from the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry, which was formed to look into police misconduct involving Canada’s most prolific serial killer Robert Pickton, plan to visit four northern cities to gather information about the disappearances and murders. Some say it is too little too late, and are calling for a separate inquiry into the RCMP’s handling of the highway murders and disappearances.

Mary Teegee, the director of child and family services for Carrier Sekani Family Services, said that police have made efforts, but they still need to step it up. “There is a long history where people have felt they can’t trust the RCMP,” she said. “We haven’t felt supported and there is a long way to go. With this case they have made efforts. There have been baby steps made.”

Highway of Vanishing Women

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Maybe its some wierdo cop doing in these women?
Its odd that they are all missing from the vanderhoof highway....
Im wondering if there is some other coincidental details that may help pin thisdown closer to the mark.I know the cops dont really have a great deal of respect for the native people.Perhaps they dont care enough to make a thorough investigation?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I wonder if anyone has ever looked into these missing women, and
possible correlated reports of "UFO" sightings?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Must read website dedicated to these 'missing' and murdered women, with pictures of the women and of course more information.

Very interesting read in relation to the subject.

Highway 16 west has been dubbed the Highway of Tears, after at least five First Nations women vanished or were found murdered there, between 1994-1995.
In recent years, more women of Aboriginal ancestry have disappeared, or have been found murdered in this area.

NONE OF THESE CASES HAVE BEEN SOLVED.

MISSING/MURDERED NATIVE WOMEN IN CANADA

I feel like I'm opening up a Pandora's box here - for me personally that is... I'll bring more news as I find it.

peace
edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: bold

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I wonder if anyone has ever looked into these missing women, and
possible correlated reports of "UFO" sightings?

I definitely will see what I can find in a coorilation there - I have a feeling this subject is going to stick with me until I get more answers.

Thank you for the idea! Any more help/suggestions would be appreciated.

peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I highly doubt there is only one person involved in these disappearances, like a serial killer, given the amount of women that have gone missing. I suppose it could be, but over that amount of time, it just seems unlikely to me. Maybe there are multiple individuals living in the area who are kidnappers or murderers, or both. I was thinking the area was rather remote, but for that many people to disappear from the area leads me to believe it may be highly trafficked.

Could it be some kind of cult, that uses humans in some weird rituals or something? I suppose it's possible. I find it strange that someone wouldn't have been caught in relation to these disappearances yet.

If anyone remembers, there have been reports of bigfoot kidnapping people, and the disappearances are in the right area for such, so we cannot rule out that possibility. I'm only being half serious.

In reality, I bet it is a combination of different factors that have caused the disappearances, including at least one career kidnapper, possibly others, being the main contributing factor in these cases. Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I know the cops dont really have a great deal of respect for the native people.Perhaps they dont care enough to make a thorough investigation?

A fact that becomes increasingly clear the more info I gather about this subject. What a travesty!

Be warned though. If you're someone who is deeply effected by injustice as I am, some of these cases will turn you inside out.

Helen Betty Osborne

peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Could it be some kind of cult, that uses humans in some weird rituals or something?

One of the first things that passed through my mind also. Sadly enough.

I find it strange that someone wouldn't have been caught in relation to these disappearances yet.

Until you realize 99% of the woman are Aboriginal...

Outtake from an online petition:

Submit to you that racism continues within these agencies and
results in society's lack of understanding of this situation, as well
as the unspoken approval that it is ok to harm or even murder a First
Nations woman. We feel the need for ongoing sensitivity training be
provided to ALL law enforcement agencies and should be mandatory for
ALL police officers/investigators.

Online petition here

peace
edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: quote

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Sorry to say, but it is all racism and genocidal tendencies, not some ET phenomenon! I live in Canada, and I am aboriginal. Not saying I don't believe in UFO's (I have had a couple of sightings), but in this case, straight up homicide!

Check out the case of Robert Pickton! He killed an estimated 49 women and fed them to his pigs on his farm! This is just one lone nut in the same Canadian province. Here's some info of Robert Pickton from wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Its strange, I remembered all of the UFO stories, many of the most noteable unsolved UFO sightings
are from Canada, and around this Highway 16...though I dont recall if women gone missing were connected.

Yet, just looking for news about this I came across a recent news article where
another women went missing!

Parents issue plea to help find daughter

Vanderhoof woman vanished along Highway of Tears

Vancouver Sun June 8, 2011

The parents of a missing young woman who vanished along the Highway of Tears last month issued a public plea for help Tuesday.

Madison Scott, 20, disappeared after attending a party the night of May 27 at Hogsback Lake, located about 25 kilometres south of Vanderhoof.

She was last seen about 3 a.m. on Saturday, May 28.

www.vancouversun.com...
www.vancouversun.com...

Now you have me hooked. I found a few sites that have some accounts of the UfO sightings.
Post a few here...

the-v-factor-paranormal.blogspot.com...
ufoupdateslist.com...
edit on 11-7-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAPurMAMA

Sorry to say, but it is all racism and genocidal tendencies, not some ET phenomenon!

That became pretty clear right off. It's sickening. I don't even know what to say. Sometimes I'm so overwhelmed by people's ability to hate I'm let speechless.

Thank you for the link - I'll check it out now.

peace to you

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Yes! Her disappearance is why the info is going MSM. Why? Because she's white.

That doesn't take away from the fact I hope she's found safe and sound and I'll keep her and her family in my prayers - but - where were the cops and main stream media for the decades of missing Aboriginal women?

peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAPurMAMA

Perhaps true enough, Yet when I mention the UFO side i dont think of "aliens" in them doing
this sordid crime work. I imagine the guys from DULCE labs in the UFOS.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Yes! Her disappearance is why the info is going MSM. Why? Because she's white.

Yes, I see the injustice, and thats another reason I mentioned the "UFO" side to the story.
Many times, whether its acknowledged or not missing persons and UFO abduction stories
have a few things in commen, one of them being that the people involved have no family,
have no one or few poeple who care about them, including racial profile.

Its a deep rabbit hole...not many wish to explore. I dont blame them, I went looking and now
I wish I never had.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I am shocked to see that indigenous women have such a low standing in Canadian society

Actually doesn't shock me in the least sadly.
Thanks for highlighting this sad reality and I hope they find the wanker/s killing them.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Finding Dawn

Documentary of over 500 missing Aboriginal women in Canada.

peace

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Its a deep rabbit hole...not many wish to explore. I dont blame them, I went looking and now
I wish I never had.

I echo that sentiment. This is decades old news and just new now for me, us? It's unfathomable for me to hear that over 500 Aboriginal woman have gone missing or have been murdered over Canada in the last 20 years.

These are our Sisters - the blood makes no difference - they are our sisters. I just shake my head and for once wish I could go back to not knowing... Which makes me even more ashamed.

peace
edit on 11-7-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Where's the 'crying' emote when I need it...

peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join