It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Jersey Governor Steps out and Quits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
With his wife by his side, New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday after revealing that he is 'a gay American'. He has admitted to 'having an affair with a man', who was his Security Liaison. The man has been identified as Golan Cipel, who was going to file the lawsuit Thursday afternoon in Mercer County, N.J. His resignation will take effect on November 15, 2004.

NJ Governor Resignsm

Dropping a political bombshell, New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday after revealing that he is gay and that he had an adulterous affair with a man.

McGreevey's surprise announcement came as a former aide readied a sexual harassment lawsuit against the governor, two Democratic sources told CNN.

With his wife standing by his side, McGreevey -- a father of two -- spoke in calm tones as he described his struggle with his sexuality, "a certain sense that separated me from others." It was something that he said began as a child.

"At a point in every person's life, one has to look deeply into the mirror of one's soul and decide one's unique truth in the world, not as we may want to see it or hope to see it, but as it is," McGreevey said.

"And so, my truth is that I am a gay American," the Democrat said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He will be replaced by fellow Democrat, Richard Codey.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Dropping a political bombshell, New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday as he revealed he is a gay man who carried on an adulterous affair with a man.

With his wife standing by his side, McGreevey spoke in calm tones as he described his struggle with his sexuality, something that he said began as a child.

"My truth is that I am a gay American," McGreevey said.

He also spoke of an affair with a man and asked for his family's forgiveness.

"I have decided the right course of action is to resign," McGreevey said.

He said his resignation would be effective November 15.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The man involved in the affair with McGreevey, a former government employee, demanded �an exorbitant sum of money to make it go away,� a high-ranking administration official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity. Cabinet members and administration officials learned of that threat Wednesday night, the official said.

McGreevey spokesman Micah Rasmussen said he did not know the name of the man involved in that affair. The governor chose the Nov. 15 date in order to provide an orderly transition, Rasmussen said.

McGreevey is rumored to have had the affair with Golan Cipel, an Israeli he had nominated as New Jersey Homeland Security Czar.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
He apparently was on his Payroll for $100,000 a year.
He could not even get Clearences for Homeland Security information.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I heard hus boyfriend was getting paid $110,000 a year even after he was fired. I think this is going to turn out quite bad for the Governor

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm curious as to the coincidence of the gay affair amidst widespread debate of gay marriage/gay rights issues in the USA. Does anyone know if McGreevy and his wife plan to be divorced?

PS: A few days ago McGreevy signed a bill preventing development in the wooded areas of northwestern NJ known as the Highlands as well as preventing development closer than 300 yards from water-bodies.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
WTF is this?

"And so, my truth is that I am a gay American," the Democrat said.

What does any of this have to do with being an American. This is just a cheap attempt at spin! The fact is he put his "lover" on the payroll for $110K plus per year. He's nothing but a crook looking for some sympathy that he's a gay "American" standing up for his "rights". What a crock!!

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
My impression is that he bought his boyfriend.

Give him a nice high paying job, and then flip him, "I got you this job, now you owe me..."

He definately had something for this guy from the beginning IMO.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
And the reason why his Israeli "boyfriend" was in the process of blackmailing the Governor him for upwards of $5Million and now is legally suing him for upwards of $10 Million is...why, exactly?

Sexual Harrassment? !!

There's Something Missing to this Resignation Story. Governors don't resign just because they have "gay affairs" (Jerry Brown in CA would never think of resigning over such an issue as his overt homosexual lifestyle which was "wide open" at times shall we say).

But when Israeli Ex-Navy officers with ties to the Mossad in Israel start blackmailing Governors...

So now they're sahing that hisIsraeli-Mossad-Navy ex boyfriend (who was paid in excess of $100,090 a year on the payroll of the state of NJ---yet couldn't even get Security Level Clearance for his position as Security Czar) is suiing him for sexual harrassment? !!!!!!

There's Something Very "Rotten in Tel Aviv" (other than Arial Sharon) as they say.

I hope everyone on this thread smells it as bad as I do...!

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Gov. James E. McGreevey made repeated sexual advances toward his former homeland security adviser and has now made him the victim of a �smear campaign,� a lawyer for the man said Friday.

�While employed by one of the most powerful politicians in the country, New Jersey Governor McGreevey, I was the victim of repeated sexual advances by him,� Golan Cipel said in a statement read by attorney Allen M. Lowy during a news conference in New York.

Cipel did not attend the news conference.

MSNBC.com

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
My impression is that he bought his boyfriend.

Give him a nice high paying job, and then flip him, "I got you this job, now you owe me..."

I TOTALLY agree.. Like a "Kept mistress"
"Come to the US..I'll get you a "JOB ON MY STAFF" (humour)

Blowing taxpayers money so he could satisfy himself, cheat on his wife, lie to
everyone about the guys qualifications..

Kinda blew up on the Gov though..

Why does he get to Stay until AFTER the elections..?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
HMMM.

Maybe he's NOT going to keep his job 'til November..

Party nudges McGreevey toward door

Wonder what the odds are in Atlantic City?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
HMMM.

Maybe he's NOT going to keep his job 'til November..

Party nudges McGreevey toward door

Wonder what the odds are in Atlantic City?

Kind of ironic that he resigned to do the right thing, but he's not really doing the right thing. Now if people within his own party want him to step down also, so there can be an election in November, what good does it do for him to hang in there?

new topics

top topics

join