It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small suggestion to aid slightly in communication errors.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e59f7469ee7.png[/atsimg]
The above image shows a standard "Reply" to a "Reply"

I have seen this confusion lead to a quite a few misunderstandings.

Because of the way the post link is bolded, the response may appear to be applying to chadwickus, when in reality it was meant for john1287. I pulled this one completely randomly, it relates to no specific topic.

I don't want to give any examples because I don't want to call anyone out, or bring their issue into it, I just thought bringing it to the attention of site developers couldn't hurt ♥

Perhaps something to keep in mind whenever updating, I'm sure there could be a minor solution.

Thanks for listening

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I dont think thats standard 'reply' i think its a 'quoted' post.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
how about putting jump to 'Top' at the bottom of the "Recent Posts' page?
and a next page counter link array

edit on 11-7-2011 by E†E because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Nobody told me there was a communications problem.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Because of the way the post link is bolded, the response may appear to be applying to chadwickus, when in reality it was meant for john1287. I pulled this one completely randomly, it relates to no specific topic.

There's nothing stopping members from removing part of the quotes that do not apply to their response.

In fact, it is good policy for members to ONLY quote the part of the preceding post that applies to their response.
That is the best way to be sure there are no misunderstandings.

ATS provides the tools to members to quote others.
It's up to the members to use the tools in the best way possible.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

it is a good policy for people to quote exactly what they're commenting on
but you over-estimate people

so did I apparently

I've seen this cause many misunderstandings because people click "quote" (yeah it was quote to a reply, I double typed "reply" in the OP, that was my mistake) and that image appears ABOVE their reply, in that instance (our example) Chad might think the replyer is talking to him, and get offended.

I don't know how else to explain it without examples and I'm not going to go there. I imagine no one else has seen it because they don't read half the posts in the thread, and definitely not the ones addressed to someone else - however - I do. I read every post in every thread that interests me (except where noted in my reply), and I HAVE HAD TO WADE through arguments over who said what because of a minor misquote on page 2.

I wasn't asking for a whole site shut down or any dramatic RUSH to fix it
It really is such a minor suggestion for developers - something they can keep in the back of their mind and tweak at any time - it could easily be fixed and I didn't think I had to justify it

if you think its garbage, just bin it - if you're going to fight for this one tiny thing, you can have it

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I completely agree with the OP. This is very much a source of confusion, and has caught me out before. I still find I have to look twice to see who is saying what.

Although I agree the tools are provided, it is also true that there are many people on here who do not have the type of computer skills you are talking of. I am highly computer litereate, but have had to start learning html code to help me format my posts here, somthing I have never had to do before. There will be many here who are just not able or willing to take on such challenges. Editing a post riddled with HTML to try and change what is highlighted where etc will certainly be far beyond the capabilities of a very high percentage of your users.

It does not seem very sympathetic to just tell those users "Hey, you have the tools, you use them". There are people on here from ages 16 to 106 I'd bet, you can not expect tham all to be computer literate to that degree.

I assume there is a roling program of updates and improvements on this BB? If so, the change required to implement this suggestionn would be minor, and would only improve your sight. It is hard to immagine why this would not be considered.

new topics

top topics

join