It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dinosaurs: Bothering scientists since the 1800s

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
They were our predecessors on this planet more than 65 millions years ago. Best described as large lizards with tiny brains. The Dinosaurs had a thriving civilization left untouched by human hands for more than three eras. Remnants of these massive creatures can only be found in tiny lizards, alligators, crocodiles, and more recently whales. The Dinosaurs have mysteries of their own and will never be really proven.

According Darwin's theory of evolution, the dinosaurs died out due to survival of the fittest. A massive climatic change occurred some 65 million years ago. If Dinosaurs were indeed massive reptiles (as conventional thinking would have you believe) then the cooler climate would have been disastrous. Massive extinctions, loss of food, and competition for the warmer hot spots would have been common. Seem familiar, the long-lasting debate about Global warming is evident here. Textbooks listed this as a climatic change long before the public started debating about the reality of Global Warming.

Religion never mentions the subject of the dinosaurs and has no explanation on the inconsistencies with the Bible's version of creationism. If God created all creatures within his image and made man dominate over them wouldn't the dinosaurs appear in the same time as Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? Wouldn't there have been some mention of the prehistoric beasts in the story? The dinosaurs go beyond all Christian thinking and thus are thrown out of it all together.

But religion certainly never helped the dinosaurs. Whether by God or some unknown force another theory states that a meteor three miles in length impacted the Earth, somewhere near what is now Mexico. This impact caused sudden climate change, a great flood, and darkness in the skies. It is in this destroyed world that the mammals of the time began to thrive. Burrowing creatures like moles and muskrats started to eat the eggs of the large lizards and found plentiful food sources. Since they were burrowers they were used to the harsh climate and the darkened skies. They stayed above ground and transformed into the mammals that we see here on Earth today.

This leaves scientists puzzled, however. How did other species form from these burrowers? Wouldn't moles mating with moles just create more moles? Certainly the early mammals needed help re-sequencing their DNA in the very technical process called cloning. But who cloned and mismatched these few mammals into all of the various species we see today?

Religions say God did it. Scientists say it just happened. The answer is neither. The ancient Sumerians and certain 'occult' authors may be more right than wrong. Scientists claim the authors crazy and the Sumerian explanation a myth. But more and more evidence is building up for the case of a preexisting technologically advanced society of either man or alien beings?? What do you think?

I guess this is the right area to put this in. Feel free to move it if you don't think so.

edit on 11-7-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The creation of man and animal is a very distinct time period according to most accounts in the bible.

The creation of animals (Genesis 1:20-23

20And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

22And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

23And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

The creation of man:

(Genesis 1:26) Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

(Genesis 1:27) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Although in the bible these evenst happened only days apart there is much debate about the actual time that passed between these events. The time passed between these two separate events as written in the bible is thought to have been much longer than just several days as stated in the bible. The book "The Science of God" covers much of this in good detail, it might be worth a read, and also may help to account for the missing information in the book of Genesis in the common bible. I am agnostic and found the above mentioned book to be a fascinating read.

edit on 11-7-2011 by mileysubet because: to add

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I have read the bible thank you very much! but I am not really talking about the creation of man here, I am talking about the transition between the dinosaurs and mammals which was obviously not done by God as most Dinosaurs did not co-exist with mammals only the ones during the end of the dino era.

I don't really think the Bible has the answers to the specific questions that I asked here.
edit on 11-7-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It is difficult to mix religion into a subject that requires the understanding of evolution. I'm a bit confused at the title? shouldn't it be 'the dinosaurs: bothering religion since the 1800's'

The evolution of mammals within the synapsid lineage (sometimes called "mammal-like reptiles") was a gradual process that took approximately 70 million years, beginning in the mid-Permian. By the mid-Triassic, there were many species that looked like mammals, and the first true mammals appeared in the early Jurassic.

edit on 11-7-2011 by LadyTrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

If dinosaurs and people lived at the same time, shouldn't the Bible talk about dinosaurs?

Yes -- and it does. Dinosaurs are one of the most frequently mentioned animals in the Bible. The only thing is, the word dinosaur is not used.

The word "dinosaur" was not invented until 1841. It could not be used by early translators of the Bible. For example, the King James Version translation was completed in 1611, over 200 years before the word "dinosaur" was created.

Is there another word for dinosaur that is used in the Bible?

Yes! Here are a few verses:

"...and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness." - Malachi 1:3 (KJV)

"...they snuffed up the wind like dragons." - Jereniah 14:6 (KJV)

"...and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea." - Isaiah 27:1 (KJV)

The word is dragon. It's interesting to note that people around the world have similar stories about "dragons"... and the descriptions of "dragons" are similar in all cultures... and those descriptions basically match what we think dinosaurs look like.

When the Bible talks about dragons, it is talking about what we now call dinosaurs.

Here's a detailed description from Job 40:15-19

"Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. He is chief of the ways of God."

What is behemoth?

This is the largest (chief) land animal God made. Some Bible translators have said behemoth may be an elephant or hippopotomus. But both of those have small tails, not a tail that moves like a cedar tree.

The problem is that we limit ourselves to animals that are alive today, and none of those fit this description. What best fits the description is a Brachiosaurus--the largest of the dinosaurs. A dinosaur with a giant tail that was like a cedar, and huge legs that must have had the strength of brass and iron in order to support his enormous body. Brachiosaurus was 75 feet in length, 41 feet in height, and weighed 89 tons--as much as 12 African bull elphants. This was a true behemoth!

Yes, the Bible talks about dinosaurs. They are mentioned in the Bible nearly more times than any other animal.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Try and understand evolution before you attempt to debunk it lol.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

(Genesis 1:26) Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

That passage has always seemed like proof we were made by Aliens, which in this case Aliens would be my guess on why we're here, and perhaps animals as well

edit on 11-7-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

link   
Did you even bother to read the last paragraph of my post? I never intended to preclude that you had no knowledge of the bible I was simply using those to events that took place in Genesis as an example time period. The basis for my original post was to elude to the possibility that allot more actualy happened between the "days" in the bible than what was actually stated in the bible. This time elongation if you will, might also fill in some of the missing gaps that the bible unfathomably left out.

My apologies if I offended that was not my intent.

link   

if you're reading the Bible there was no "transition"
he made one, then he made the other...

I thought it was an excellent answer from miley

and it DOES work with Darwin
"The origin of species" never said we evolved from anything.
It just said if its beneficial for something to have darker skin in its environment, it will eventually develop darker skin. If its beneficial to get out of the ocean and walk on land, it will eventually develop feet.

Most of our popular theories like "man came from apes" is pretty ridiculous, and not what Darwin said.
I say, if apes really did develop into humans, then why do we still have apes?

On the other side of the coin, we have found multiple, distinct species of humans co-existing in our fossil history. (Neanderthal and modern Humans coexisted for thousands of years)

Darwin's book did not address the question of human evolution, saying only that "Light will be thrown on the origin of man and his history".

edit on 11-7-2011 by Forevever because: ::pointing out the joke::

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Most of our popular theories like "man came from apes" is pretty ridiculous, and not what Darwin said.
I say, if apes really did develop into humans, then why do we still have apes?

Because some species of ape were well suited to their environment, even as it changed, while others weren't; evolution ensued.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by posthuman

you're right
funny how you picked up on the one opinion/joke and focused on that
the rest of the post is true

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
First of all, he was not referring to the bible, but a book that analyses it's historical and symbolical propreties.

Second, many believe that dinausaurs ARE mentioned in the bible.....they're called dragons.
Take a look at this site, it has a lot of info on dinosaurs. There's also a link to watch the documentary that is pretty interesting

www.forbidden-history.com...

I'm not yelling conspiracy, but I'd like to point to the evidence that we know very little about dinosaurs. Here's a blogger that collects countless articles about this stuff: At the bottom of the screen you can see he has accumulated around 100 articles on this subject. Take the time to read them it's worth it

www.s8int.com...

Scientists have discovered soft tissue in a T-Rex bone... now the problem is that soft tissue can't last 65 million years, But only about 11,000 years. Wich moves the time of the dinosaurs much closer, to a time when humans roamed the Earth.

discovermagazine.com...

Also, keep in mind that stratas in the ground don't necessarily form over long periods of time, but from series of quick cataclysmic events... like a volcano or a landslide.... wich makes carbon dating much less accurate

www.christiananswers.net...

We don't know much about these amazing creatures, but evidence is slowly showing itself. Please keep in mind that it isn't because evolutionsts are wrong on some levels doesn't mean they're not right on other points, nor does it mean that the bible is right. There are endless possibilities and we'll never know the truth unless we can contemplate the evidence with open minds

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by peanuty48
Scientists have discovered soft tissue in a T-Rex bone... now the problem is that soft tissue can't last 65 million years, But only about 11,000 years. Wich moves the time of the dinosaurs much closer, to a time when humans roamed the Earth.

discovermagazine.com...

Oh I also heard about that, but I don't know enough about it to comment.
I think its fascinating though, that this is possible!
Thank you! ♥ For the reminder and the link ♥

imagine what we'll know tomorrow

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by peanuty48
First of all, he was not referring to the bible, but a book that analyses it's historical and symbolical propreties.

Well that is strange because I felt that this particular paragraph was referencing biblical entries...

"Religion never mentions the subject of the dinosaurs and has no explanation on the inconsistencies with the Bible's version of creationism. If God created all creatures within his image and made man dominate over them wouldn't the dinosaurs appear in the same time as Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? Wouldn't there have been some mention of the prehistoric beasts in the story? The dinosaurs go beyond all Christian thinking and thus are thrown out of it all together. "

Also I think with simple logic we can also deduce that he was referring the christian bible as well.

edit on 11-7-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Kicks himself for replying....

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
The Dinosaurs had a thriving civilization left untouched by human hands for more than three eras.

Dinos didnt have a "Civilization"

Remnants of these massive creatures can only be found in tiny lizards, alligators, crocodiles, and more recently whales. .

AND

Birds. they're everywhere.

According Darwin's theory of evolution, the dinosaurs died out due to survival of the fittest. A massive climatic change occurred some 65 million years ago.

Some believe there was a massive meteorite or Comet that whacked the Earth. Maybe Earth was hit by a few of them, also did Darwin actually ever address the issue of Mass Dino extinction? I smell Bovine excretion...

If Dinosaurs were indeed massive reptiles

And medium sized ones and small ones and ones that swam in the oceans others flew in the sky and still others were small feathered ones etc etc etc

Seem familiar, the long-lasting debate about Global warming is evident here. Textbooks listed this as a climatic change long before the public started debating about the reality of Global Warming.

Yes, Like the Ice Age it most likely happens in cycles.

Religion never mentions the subject of the dinosaurs and has no explanation on the inconsistencies with the Bible's version of creationism.

Far be it for me to defend the bible but I've read in it they were called either Dragons or Behemoths. Take your pick

If God created all creatures within his image

Sigh, according to the bible he made "Man" in his own image not a tadpole or the platypus.

Wouldn't there have been some mention of the prehistoric beasts in the story? The dinosaurs go beyond all Christian thinking and thus are thrown out of it all together.

No they don't stop lying...

But religion certainly never helped the dinosaurs.

Did they have a flat tire or lose their keys?
Helped?

Helped how?

Whether by God or some unknown force another theory states that a meteor three miles in length impacted the Earth, somewhere near what is now Mexico. This impact caused sudden climate change, a great flood, and darkness in the skies. It is in this destroyed world that the mammals of the time began to thrive.

No actually very few mammals survived and it took them a hell of a long time to recover.

Burrowing creatures like moles and muskrats started to eat the eggs of the large lizards and found plentiful food sources.

Was this before or after the global mass extinction?

Since they were burrowers they were used to the harsh climate and the darkened skies.

Why, did it thunder and lightening and or have snow showers in their mole holes often?

They stayed above ground and transformed into the mammals that we see here on Earth today.

Didn't happen over night, it took millions of years of genetic trial and error and some didn't make it.

This leaves scientists puzzled,

I'd avoid confused puzzled scientist. Bad Joo Joo

Religions say God did it. Scientists say it just happened. The answer is neither.

You got this straight from God and or Darwin themselves? I smell Bovine excretion again or is it Sitchin?

The ancient Sumerians and certain 'occult' authors may be more right than wrong. Scientists claim the authors crazy and the Sumerian explanation a myth. But more and more evidence is building up for the case of a preexisting technologically advanced society of either man or alien beings?? What do you think?

I was right, it was a Bovine excretion aroma spelled "Sitchin"

Seriously.

If you are going to try debunk the Bible and Darwin at least get one or both of them right before you twist their stance.

Mark Twain had a good saying...

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

edit on 11-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

SLAYER, I only wish I had your patients to post such eloquent responses, instead i just stare at my keyboard dumbfounded.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
"Religions say God did it. Scientists say it just happened. The answer is neither. The ancient Sumerians and certain 'occult' authors may be more right than wrong. Scientists claim the authors crazy and the Sumerian explanation a myth. But more and more evidence is building up for the case of a preexisting technologically advanced society of either man or alien beings?? What do you think?"

OP, I might be thick here, but in the above quote from your post, you have reached 3 conclusions:
1) Religion is incorrect.
2) Scientists are incorrect.
3) Sumerians and "occult" authors may be right.

It appears that you want ATS readers to believe in your conclusion for some reason. Why? The fact that dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible? As several posters have explained, this is not necessarily true.

Why do you want people to believe that some ancient "occultists" have the true answer?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Mark twain had another quote saying that "the truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense"

To the OP, how are dinosaurs confusing or any mystery? They are gone, fossils on display in muesums, displaying similer anatomy to many current species. We have a lot of proof they existed and are extinct. Now we dont have that much proof adam and eve existed, but proof isnt the point of the bible now is it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sorry if I pushed any buttons here, but this idea is not so crazy as some of the other stuff I've encountered on this site.

W/e I am not pushing any agenda here, nor am I forcing anybody to believe anything. This is just something I wrote up two years ago now, and wanted to see people's reactions. Now, I know lolz!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My reply had nothing to do with christianity, It's about a texte written a long time ago about event an even longer time before.... We should embrace the historical propreties of sacred texts and myths. What these people wrote actually makes more sense as our technology and communication skills advance

no one is right, we know practically nothing. Open your mind to infinit possibility

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join