It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed Recheck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
No doubt, the speed for F-15 is easily up to M 2.4, the top speed of F-15 was set as M.2.5, however, the top speed for the fastest version of F-4 was M.2.2. When I checked the speed record occasionally, the record set between F-4 and Ye-155, there was nothing

Which means there was a speed limit for F-15 which can be broken by F-4! What's wrong there with F-15, a keeper of climb rate record!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
No doubt, the speed for F-15 is easily up to M 2.4, the top speed of F-15 was set as M.2.5, however, the top speed for the fastest version of F-4 was M.2.2. When I checked the speed record occasionally, the record set between F-4 and Ye-155, there was nothing

Which means there was a speed limit for F-15 which can be broken by F-4! What's wrong there with F-15, a keeper of climb rate record!

I'm not getting what your point is? Just because the F-15 can reportedly go faster than the current record holder, it doesn't make it the new record holder automatically.

Records are done under set conditions, with invigilation by the record approving body - the F-15 was never put up for the air speed record, so it will never hold it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
would the typhoon beat an F-15 in a climb?

thanks

monkey

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MONKEYMAGIC
would the typhoon beat an F-15 in a climb?

thanks

monkey

In what configuration?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

equal, either both clean or both fully laden?.

ive seen a typhoon do a vertical climb at farnborough last year, one of the most impressive sights ever...

thanks

monkey

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It is not the sufficient condition for every aircraft to brake the climb rate. Too many aircraft from propeller to jet can do vertical climb.
The F-15 own the climb record not only by many other superiorties but also the possible biggest trim force which still with few aircraft can match.

Originally posted by RichardPrice

I'm not getting what your point is? Just because the F-15 can reportedly go faster than the current record holder, it doesn't make it the new record holder automatically.

Records are done under set conditions, with invigilation by the record approving body - the F-15 was never put up for the air speed record, so it will never hold it.

The Speed Record didn't tell what altitude that was, so I thought the only line set was the speed. I don't believe the Speed Record set by F-4 with YF-12 at same Altitude.
By much greater T/W ratio and a Ld supposed to be higher significantly, I didn't see the reason why the Speed Record beyond the F-4 couldn't be done by F-15?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

It is not the sufficient condition for every aircraft to brake the climb rate. Too many aircraft from propeller to jet can do vertical climb.
The F-15 own the climb record not only by many other superiorties but also the possible biggest trim force which still with few aircraft can match.

Not sure where you are getting that from, there are many aircraft which claim to have the record.

There are also quite a few aircraft which have a published better climb rate than the F-15, for example the Eurofighter.

The Speed Record didn't tell what altitude that was, so I thought the only line set was the speed. I don't believe the Speed Record set by F-4 with YF-12 at same Altitude.
By much greater T/W ratio and a Ld supposed to be higher significantly, I didn't see the reason why the Speed Record beyond the F-4 couldn't be done by F-15?

Again, your point seems very convoluted - the airspeed record is just that, an airspeed record. It doesn't matter what altitude you achieve it at, so long as its within the atmosphere and the aircraft fits the NAA and the FAI determination of being an "aircraft".

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

What do you mean, emile?

Given that the timeline shows the F-4 held the record in 1961, the YF-12 took the record past 2000mph in 1965 and the F-15, which maxes out well below that level, didn't fly until 1972, seven years later, why the shock? You cannot set a speed record with a plane you haven't even drawn yet

edit on 12-7-2011 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

What do you mean, emile?

Given that the timeline shows the F-4 held the record in 1961, the YF-12 took the record past 2000mph in 1965 and the F-15, which maxes out well below that level, didn't fly until 1972, seven years later, why the shock? You cannot set a speed record with a plane you haven't even drawn yet

edit on 12-7-2011 by waynos because: (no reason given)

Embarrassed, you got me
But there could be an speed record set by F-15 which between F-4 and Ye-155, don't agree?
edit on 13-7-2011 by emile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice

Not sure where you are getting that from, there are many aircraft which claim to have the record.
There are also quite a few aircraft which have a published better climb rate than the F-15, for example the Eurofighter.

Could you give me an official statement to say a climb record done by EF beyond F-15?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What Ye155 record are you referring to? As far as I know it never held the speed record? Also the Ye155 flew eight years earlier than the F-15 so it would never have had the opportunity.
edit on 13-7-2011 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Could you give me an official statement to say a climb record done by EF beyond F-15?

Official statement? Of what sort?

"we, BAE, EADS and the RAF, hereby certify that the Eurofighter undertook this morning an attempt to better the F-15s rate of climb 'record' and it was successful at three billion feet per second"?

Or are you just setting the thread up for a refusal to accept industry published data?

For example -

rate of climb: >315 m/s (62,007 ft/min);

www.armedforces-int.com...

Rate of climb: 62,000ft per minute

www.telegraph.co.uk...

There are plenty more where they came from.

edit on 15/7/2011 by RichardPrice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If it's sheer "rate of climb", believe the Mirage 2000n blows the F-15 into the weeds. There are othe aircraft out there that would also do the same, including the Typhoon. The F-15 is old, and isn't desinged for anything but Air superiority, so I'm quite sure the latest generation fighters like Typhoon, Rafale, and whatever the current "best " Russian airframe is could compete really well against the Eagle. The fact the eagle operates with the AWACS as and intregral part of its acquisition process, is what makes the Eagle so dangerous. It's a nice airplane, but was never designed to be a super-airplane in any disiciple except the Air Superiority disicipline.

new topics

top topics

join