It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. official says pre-infected computer tech entering country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Gee, I wonder where the components are coming from?

They're talking about key-loggers, botnets, and security defeating software.

The real threat is this stuff being installed on networks attached to government servers. Can you imagine the threat to national security?

Schaffer admits in the article he is aware of instances where these components have made it here to the US. He didn't say where they went once they got here.

[url=http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/08/7043349-us-official-says-pre-infected-computer-tech-entering-country]technolog.msnbc.msn.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Not sure what's wrong with the related link. Maybe a mod can help me with it. It was embedded in the original story.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yup, and it's ever increasingly more difficult to keep track of all the cheap Chinese garbage components that are entering into North America. I'm suprised that this has only been noticed now and not 10 years ago when I first read about it. The best way to combat this is to have MUCH greater quality controls in place and MUCH higher hardware standards, especially when it comes to security hardware like Firewalls, Switches, Routers, Servers, etc...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It is coming from the Department of Homeland Security, for all I know it could be propaganda to put more fear into the people like their cyber fear mongering to get support for Cybercom. I will remain vigilant.

Don't you understand that they have been social conditioning us for Cybercom, after they have enacted the patriot act. This is part of the police state propaganda.

Besides, the U.S. is the only country creating automated talking head on cyberspace and program that would penetrate another countries firewall on cyberspace.

In addition to my other thread Pentagon Outsourcing is a Major Problem, why would they waiver a product that can be made in the U.S. and choose China if they know the risk it poses to security. How hypocritical.

edit on 10-7-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

We are not getting our components from domestic sources or Taiwan anymore. When we are getting sensitive computer components from a country that is a potential rival, we do need to be extra vigilant.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

You may be right. The problem is it is plausible and makes sense. It is getting harder and harder to distinguish anymore what is real and what is propaganda. I guess everything serves some kind of agenda these days.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The government is already compromised.

What isn't sold out to Israel is sold out to China.

The Chinese situation is actually much worse than the Israel situation because we have no idea what's coming down the pike.

What they have planned for us.

China is the one to watch, folks.

Your government sold you out to the red Chinese.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My initial thought on the article is not regarding national security.
It's MSNBC, after all, so my first thought, given that internet regulation has been a hot topic: Fantastic! Now BO would regulate, not only online content, but also software and hardware!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I do feel that our government has sold us out to globalism and special interest lobbies. Not to mention their own
greed and avarice.

I also agree this will probably be seized on as an opportunity to expand regulation.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Hardware is made by SDMs (e.g. - FoxConn) for OEMs (e.g. - Dell) who then add the OS.

Dell, keeping that example, sells windows, linux and bare metal PCs. One one of those could be preloaded with the alleged malware cited in the article.

This article is definitely written to keep western stereo-types of China alive.

The plantation owner always keeps people fearing the slave.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Yeah, the evidence has been pretty clear about the sell out to globalisation, and special interests, as you say. I really doubt that MSNBC, though, is going to deliver a story that could cast a potentially dark shadow on any of the current policies of this administration. There must be an agenda.

Maybe the agenda is breaking the news to sheeple about the forth coming regulation and world governance, maybe it's a precursor to a FF cyber attack.

There's been ideas thrown around regarding "another internet." Maybe one that's "deemed secure" will provide us all with the safe content that we can all nuzzle against.

Can't you just feel the love? (if not, it will be re-distributed to you shortly.)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Heros_son

It does seem the background chatter is working up to a crescendo of some sort again. I shudder to think how it will all play out this time around.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The western world needs to stop kidding itself, this will be happening everywhere. The primary source in my mind is definately CHINA.

So what do we do?

We dont have the ability to mass produce this stuff.

Its so widely connected and relied upon NOW, that we cant roll back and replace it all.

We really do have a noose around our heads...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

There was recently found a source of rare earth minerals in the Pacific. If investors had some incentives (i.e. fewer regulations) then the US could start to be more independent in the field of electronic manufacturing.

Maybe that could loosen the noose.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
How many companies buy the computer equipment from regular supplier that we all use.
How many of these are bidding against chinese companies that now can find out what there bids will be.
How many have have inturnal company information on them that would hurt them of china got the information.

How many government employees take home work and do it on there home computers,

How many US politicians have damaging information on the office or home computers that China would like to know about.

China has no problem getting hackers.
When the US catches a hacker in the US they go to prison, Its unlikely they will use a computer as long as they are in prison

When the US tracks a hacker operating in china they ask tell the Chinese and Chinese government arrests the hacker and sends him to prison and puts him in front of one of there best computers to hack for the Chinese government and tells the US government they have arrested and convicted the hacker and he is now in prison.
And the US government is happy about it.

So are the Chinese as they now have another hacker working for them who now can not be tracked through the Chinese internet because he is hidden by there government.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

For the OP, and in support of the original link, here is a link describing purchases from the (US) Navy.

As someone mentioned before, China is involved, at least with this story

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Yup, and it's ever increasingly more difficult to keep track of all the cheap Chinese garbage components that are entering into North America. I'm suprised that this has only been noticed now and not 10 years ago when I first read about it. The best way to combat this is to have MUCH greater quality controls in place and MUCH higher hardware standards, especially when it comes to security hardware like Firewalls, Switches, Routers, Servers, etc...

The best way to stop this is actually to slap an immediate 200% tariff on all Chinese goods. The reason they don't is that they want to set up China for the win during WWIII. We need to expose these traitors and foreign economic terrorist banksters before it's too late.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Heros_son

I saw that story and it struck me our capabilities could be compromised by our reliance on cheap foreign labor to manufacture cut rate goods. Not only are we taking the jobs away from our own skilled labor, we are leaving ourselves open to sabotage. Is this by accident or design?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Uh how is hardware configured with spyware?
and this is why you shouldnt buy prebuilt computers, and besides it's cheaper to make your own...

www.newegg.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join