It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW ! A 3D Printer, that, em, well, prints objects...........

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This looks amazing, from a distance.. until you realize that it's basically generating a mold & uses a single material to fill it. Think of all of the things it cant replicate.. like anything with a spring.

It's like having a guy sculpt things for you & cook it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Amazing technology,by the sounds of it it's been around for a while,i've read about it a long time ago but didn't really follow up on it.
As time goes on it'll get better & easier to print 3D objects,before you know it we'll be printing cars & tanks

Always good seeing technology like this

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

Oh great.......we already had enough cheap plastic stuff that is disposed of to quickly, adding to a mountain of plastic debris floating in some ocean. But now we have lowered that bar even further......

But seriously, I heard about this stuff a couple of years ago. I believe it was about a man and a woman printing their own boat for a trip around the world...... go figure.

Peace
edit on 11-7-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Adyta I love your avatar who is the artist!!

to everyone else they make 3D printers for home use now

DESK TOP FACTORY

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

I cut it off of a DVD cover of one of my favorite bands, Theatre of Tragedy.

Googled the artist, and this is what I got;

The "Last Curtain Call" cover artwork was created by Haakon Hoseth. The original painting was by the band's longtime artist and friend Truls Espedal.

EDIT: Just realized this is way off-topic... probably should have sent a PM. Any attempt at adding something on-topic has been met with failure. Nothing more for me to say. My bad.

edit on 7/11/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
so not my revolution will be invented when krupnovolnovku. Well this type of microwave power as it did not have to put. it USB flash drive sticking with poatomnoy model and click zhamkaesh it for a few minutes this vesh of atoms collected. Type in the morning for breakfast cool. stuck the stick pressed a button and here's what Big Mac or Hotdog. and a copy is made on a previous model of hotdogs cooked in the best French restaurant best chef in the world.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Anyone think we could one day take DNA and print failing body parts?
Could this lead to that happening?

Would be awsomeness.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

STAR~! interesting~!

Now, I have a close friend that I used to work with, who's wife just went (like 4-6 months ago, maybe longer) through an experiment that completely healed her pancreas and I 'believe' she's off insulin; It was a matter of transplanting (don't quote me on this) a cell from her liver(?) into her pancreas. She was on a 3year waiting list.

So i know this technology on the video is either in the infant stage(s) OR is actually being done behind the curtains. Personally, and of course, with my conspiracy mind, this tech is ALL READY to go and is being used right now, they're just keeping it from the general public for $$$ sake.. it's a trickle down effect.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

no you don't understand..
it replicates EVERYTHING in the item being printed down to 40um or a bit lower like 30um~!! Just shy of 5um of a human hair~!!! not only that.......it can be used just like the tool itself, literately, with more resin..

so why couldn't a spring work inside it??

edit on 11-7-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
A spring would not work because the stuff they are using is not metal. Just as you could not replicate transistors or gold, that device doesn't have the ability to make things out of multiple elements and such.

They also can make moving parts without telling the computer that makes it where the moving bits are or what the moving bits look like if they are not visible to that red light scanner devices (see my post on pg 1).

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

i am sorry to say that this is quite old

we have a 3d printer in our University since 2006 and we are in Argentina, an undeveloped country(?)
so it is quite old and for us in the University is free
i am an industrial designer and we can make up the so called mockup models for our exams in what here is called
industrial workshop signature, so if we have it here in a third world country imagine just how old it may be...

AND FOR FREE

god bless Cristina
oh by the way there are many kind of 3d printers, we actually have a FDM (abs) printer there are stereolithographicals, metal powdered, sinterized plastic, sinterized metals, and so on.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by N1thNa1ath

and they build up the models from CAD archives so any soft that can manage CAD models would be fine
We use an interface that is called Catalyst that interpretes the coded CAD archive and translates it for the printer

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

One word after watching the video: Wow.

I seriously did not expect the wrench to work. Still wondering if it really does...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Same boat here. This was big news in 2004 / 2005. It's kind of old hat at this point expect for the drop in price. At one time these "rapid prototyping" machines were BMW priced and much higher and now there are models available for less then 5K. In fact -- I spoke with a guy a few weeks ago you built his own from a kit for less then $700.

Still really cool, but not exactly earthshaking at this point.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
The way they get the moving parts is a trick, its not as simple as they say. The scanner can not see internal parts, so they have to model the moving bits using a computer program based on what they already know about how it works. In otherwords, you couldn't scan a closed metal box with an unknown inside it, print it and then open up the printed box and the original box and see the same thing inside both.

It is still neat, but I would have abused the printed wrench alot more.

Why can't they see inside the objects? Is that not possible? Or would it take that much longer to scan it? I would imagine that this limitation won't remain forever since the printer can already print those internal parts it just (apparently from the video) needs the model data.
edit on 18-7-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
reply to post by jessejamesxx

no you don't understand..
it replicates EVERYTHING in the item being printed down to 40um or a bit lower like 30um~!! Just shy of 5um of a human hair~!!! not only that.......it can be used just like the tool itself, literately, with more resin..

so why couldn't a spring work inside it??

edit on 11-7-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

Can anybody confirm whether that scanner produces accurate internal modeling data or not?

It would be nice if a link was supplied.
edit on 18-7-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
The only thing that can see through metal is an X-ray and you can't really X-ray metal too well without needing a very powerful X-ray unit. Metals like to reflect X-rays instead of letting them go through. You would not want to be any where near the room where a wrench was being seen though with X-rays, unless its in a safe made of 1-3 inch lead panels.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

That is cool. The first time I saw this kind of tech. was on the science channel I believe. They made an ear out of stem cells. Very cool to say the least.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

The first time I saw this tech was on the science channel I think like 4-5 years ago. They made an ear out of stem cells.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Last week in the news, there was a story about someone inventing a printer that would print chocolate bars. Star Trek food replicators coming soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join