It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW ! A 3D Printer, that, em, well, prints objects...........

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You have to see this for yourself.
This is stunning, I would love to know the secret and could this be backward engineered technology?

Amazing, truely amazing...

Check..

edit:
Me bad, I have noticed a few threads similar, this one seems to go into more detail however.
I am just STUNNED for words here. I cant get my head around it. Its like something from Star Trek !!

edit on 10/7/2011 by shauny because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/11/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Oh wow!
I could have so much fun with one of those!
I'd love to hear more about how it works.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

serach for makerbot. Fab@home. Cupcake CNC.

Z Corp Printers
edit on 7/10/2011 by staple because: future self told me to.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This would be awesome if they could make it affordable to the public... but I don't think it ever will be. Too many people would be laid off if you could print your own silverware, car parts, furniture, etc.

I remember seeing something on TV a few years ago about how they're working on printing human tissue and organs. Here's a video about it.

edit on 7/10/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Damn free cigarettes forever!!! YAY! That's what I'm talking 'bout!

link   
3d printers have a been around for YEARS

link   
There are so many threads about 3d printers already...

Here's a very recent one with the same video

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

edit on 10-7-2011 by A por uvas because: (no reason given)

The jaws of the chinese work force just dropped
please don't tell me this is how they make all those worthless wrenches and hammers.....................
edit on 10-7-2011 by A por uvas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Well I've never seen it here, and so far you're the only one to complain about it.

You forum vigilante wanna-be mods are getting really annoying.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It is useful, but is this new to you guys?

I guess it's one of the reasons I don't post much, this seems pretty commonplace to me. We've been getting solid models for five or six years. That polyhedral gear gizmo the guy is messing with at the start of the video is a stock solid model a lot of companies use for a demo. For that matter, so is that crescent wrench - there's a reason he didn't pick a pair of vice-grips

We used to work with a commercial appliance company that does all their own plastics in house, they've got two big solid modelers that can print most of a small appliance. It's great for seeing what something looks like for real, and for testing fit of other assemblies. The plastic tends to be a bit fragile - you have to be careful with it and it's always a good idea to print more than one knowing that you'll likely break it. They run off models for us when we need one, we get a deal from them. It tends to be a bit pricey if you're paying per piece from a service that does this like metrorp or emachineshop.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That is pretty amazing! WOW.. Nice find.
edit on 10-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Star and flag for you.

I cant remember the exact quote but there is a saying about any sufficiently advanced technology will seem to be like magic.

This looks like magic to me, I almost don't believe it because its so truly stunning

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
This looks like magic to me, I almost don't believe it because its so truly stunning

What's even better is that there's a variation on this they used to have at LANL that can lay you up a shaped charge you couldn't get any other way.

Instead of extruding ABS, it's got several different combustion speed explosives it can extrude, you put in a 3D explosive lens design and it'll print up a ready-to-blow precision made lens that'll do asymmetric driving, weird base shapes (not just spheres or lenticular), you name it.

No good technology goes unabused, I guess.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
i have to agree with Bedlam. to me also it seems to be quite common. it was covered in nexus a few issues ago and is demonstrated on appropriate fairs. my neighbors are talking about this printer for ages now and how to start a business with it. the possibilities are endless. they have actually finally made up their mind and plans and have ordered one two weeks ago. i don't know exactly how much it is, but it is not too expensive!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

already available reprap It's Open Source!!!

RepRap is a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects. Since many parts of RepRap are made from plastic and RepRap can print those parts, RepRap is a self-replicating machine - one that anyone can build given time and materials. It also means that - if you've got a RepRap - you can print lots of useful stuff, and you can print another RepRap for a friend...

RepRap is about making self-replicating machines, and making them freely available for the benefit of everyone. We are using 3D printing to do this, but if you have other technologies that can copy themselves and that can be made freely available to all, then this is the place for you too.

Reprap.org is a community project, which means you are welcome to edit most pages on this site, or better yet, create new pages of your own. Our community portal and New Development pages have more information on how to get involved. Use the links below and on the left to explore the site contents. You'll find some content translated into other languages.

RepRap was the first of the low-cost 3D printers, and the RepRap Project started the open-source 3D printer revolution. It is described in the video on the right.

more info globalguerrillas.typepad.com...

globalguerrillas.typepad.com...

"Think of RepRap as China on your Desktop"
Chris DiBona, Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc., 8 April 2008

Reprap central www.reprapcentral.com...

makerbot
makerbot-thing-o-matic only $1,299.00

and it's not just plastics there are also extruders for metal, i've even seen one on the web that builds houses by using a special type of concrete as the ink! looking for the link now.

the-worlds-first-printed-building

bio-stuff is more complicated but the advantage of these systems is you can start with a basic and build the parts to make another or a more complex one.

S&F

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
3rd print a working computer?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I was working on a consumer 3D Stereolithographical printer at least 10 years ago. It was just that, back then, the technology was in its infancy and was rather crude.

But think of the impact of everyone having a low cost "3D printer" upon society and upon commerce!

When ownership implies purely intellectual property.

Imagine something like the GPL (Linux is usually available under this license scheme) extended to the physical world.

Free to modify/customise.

The best of design available for free.

It could change the world.

Also, don't limit your mind to plastics. Metals extruded can be extruded & sintered. Also liquids like concrete.

The "printer" that I was working on used rice powder & water.

You could literally print & eat the dishes with the food on them, or compost the remains responsibly!
edit on 10/7/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta

I remember seeing something on TV a few years ago about how they're working on printing human tissue and organs. Here's a video about it.

They just did a successful transplant last week of a synthetic stem cell windpipe.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
That is really awesome. Can't believe the tool actually works at the end!

XL5

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The way they get the moving parts is a trick, its not as simple as they say. The scanner can not see internal parts, so they have to model the moving bits using a computer program based on what they already know about how it works. In otherwords, you couldn't scan a closed metal box with an unknown inside it, print it and then open up the printed box and the original box and see the same thing inside both.

It is still neat, but I would have abused the printed wrench alot more.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join