It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queen Boudica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Queen Boudica

I want to present Boudica(aka, Boudicca',Boadicea,more spellings) the Queen of the Celtic Iceni tribe, wife of Prasutagus(which recent evidence shows may not be his name but it's what is known). She lead to uprising against the Roman Empire. Her location being East England, which is now Norfolk and Suffolk.

Not much is know of who she was, her origins, and more. Though she was born into aristocracy around the year 30 A.D. Her name was perhaps based off of the Celtic Goddess of Victory.

During the Roman invasion of Britain they forced Celtic tribes to submit to their ways. They allowed only two Celtic kings to retain traditional power. One was Prasutagus.

During AD 60(or 61) the chosen governor Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, of the island of Mona(North Wales) which was a refuge place for druids and British rebels, decided to lead a campaign against the people. The people revolted with Queen Boudica as chosen as the leader of the revolt.

It was said that their model against the Romans was inspired by Arminius, the prince of the Cherusci. They had driven the Romans out of Germany in 9 A.D.. Other significant influence came from their own ancestors who had stopped Julius Ceaser from occupying Northern Britain.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0f6b3b7e827.jpg[/atsimg]

Boudicca's final speech to her army has been verbally passed down as such: "But now, it is not as a woman descended from noble ancestry, but as one of the people that I am avenging lost freedom, my scourged , and marked body, the outraged chastity of my daughters. Roman lust has gone so far that not our very person, nor even age or virginity, are left unpolluted. But heaven is on the side of a righteous vengeance; a legion which dared to fight has perished; the rest are hiding themselves in their camp, or are thinking anxiously of flight. They will not sustain even the din and the shout of so many thousands, much less our charge and our blows. If you weigh well the strength of the armies, and the causes of the war, you will see that in this battle you must conquer or die. This is a woman's resolve; as for men, they may live and be slaves, and captive. Source

Boudica's army destroyed the Roman Ninth Legion and the capital of Roman Britain, From there destroyed London and Verulamium-St Albans.

Many lost their lives... She suffered the torture and loss of her daughters. Which some say caused her demise, in a sense.

It is said that she poisoned herself to avoid capture from the Roman army that defeated her and the uprising.
The true site of the battle mentioned as well as information of her death, remains unknown.

Here is a brief history in video form:

(first image from video)
As there's lots to read, study and watch about her.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2cef0b7eddf8.jpg[/atsimg]
The statue, is located in Westminster, London.

References:
womenshistory

BBC/history

cillpiorra...

Wikipedia

Apologies as to where to post this, as it's not a conspiracy unless you count the actions of war and defense, but to be as posed to share with others.
edit on 10-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixing link

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Wow what an important role she played in history
yet not very well known
S&f for making her known

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Queen Boudica has always facinated me ever since I read The wolf Of Masada by John Fredman. Good book, it is fictional but focuses on factual events, it recounts her history as a leader and her family.

S& F for keeping her memory alive

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
S & F ..You put a lot of work into this .
Thank you for the History lesson (see I learned something today so It wasent wasted )
Enjoyed it !

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I haven't looked into it for many years but the accepted version at one time was that the uprising was caused by the rape and abuse (referenced apparently as a 'scourging' in her speech), of her and her daughters after her husbands death rather than after any uprising. The involvement of the Welsh tribes is unknown to me. Interesting.
edit on 10/7/11 by goldentorch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by A por uvas

I had never learned about her in World History(American schools for ya!), others may have had the same...

Happy to share the info!

edit on 10-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: edit

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Love my history threads S&F

I had heard she would have actually won the war and booted the Romans out of Britain but when they beat the first army instead of continuing on and attacking the 2nd army her soldiers starting looting, lost the advantage and were slaughtered.

Sad story

top topics

join