It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is pedophelia a disease?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
hey there

I posted this thread in order to find out whether pedophelia is a syndrome or a disease that you get infected by as you get older. Does pedophelia sit in the genes? Do people who suffer from pedophelia are born that way or is it a choice they make themselves?

What do you think?

Do not start a thread just asking a question!
Starting a New Thread:
Appears immediately above the text box, in every 'New Thread' composition window.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on July 10th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Demonic possession.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I believe it is a disease of the soul. It is a predatory nature to prey on the weak and defenseless. There doesn't seem to be a cure for it. I have read that even when given salt peter to un arm them they will resort to other means. It is not about sexual gratification. It is something far more dark in nature. I would think that if it were a mental illness Pfizer would have a pill for it by now. I only hope there is a special hell.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I believe issues of that nature are usually effects of some sort of trauma at a young age - sexual molestation or something like that that cause psychological issues in the individual.

40 year old men should by no means be sexually attracted to young children. Not natural

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

Are you implying that it's ok for a 20 yr. old man to be attracted to children?

Nobody should.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanGI5
I believe issues of that nature are usually effects of some sort of trauma at a young age - sexual molestation or something like that that cause psychological issues in the individual.

40 year old men should by no means be sexually attracted to young children. Not natural

O.K. I agree studies do show those who have been victims of molestation are more likely (but not always) to become molesters themselves. So if we ride that theory we must then consider who started it and what motivation they had. If it is spread by contact like a virus there must be a patient zero.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Terms and Conditions of Use

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

*SNIP* Joking about it is still against T&C

I absolutely could not disagree with you more.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Is there any historical reference that might point to a patient zero? I am thinking something that vile and unheard of before then would make the myths stories or be noted in the historical records handed down. Who is this patient zero pedo?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Firstly, I want to differentiate between a sexual attraction to children and actually taking action on those urges. Those feelings probably cannot be helped; taking the action, though, is absolutely wrong and should be punished severely.

Now that that's out of the way, I think that the feelings are a mental disorder that is a combination of nature and nurture. I say this because it strikes me that, biologically speaking, being attracted to a being with no sexual characteristics is not quite right. The secondary sexual characteristics are absent, the pheromones are all wrong; there's just nothing there that could reasonably elicit a sexual attraction.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

well it is hard to convey sarcasm through text.

Sorry you missed that.

Of course that is not what I was implying... Some people (kro) just drastically over-analyze what they read

link   

reply to post by kro32

*SNIP* Joking about it is still against T&C

I think kro was making a point that every time anyone mentions the word "pedophile" it's typically associated with some old dude. There was a debate not long ago about that very problem actually.

On topic - I believe pedophilia is the result of a persons psychological development. It depends on many different things. You can't quantize it into something as simple as a disease; no one ever will, trust me.

link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I don't think there is one. In early human history sex was used for having children and when the female was of child bearing age that's when it happened. This may have carried over into todays times. I am just guessing here so maybe someone smarter in this area can explain it better.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

reply to post by wcitizen

well it is hard to convey sarcasm through text.

Sorry you missed that.

Of course that is not what I was implying... Some people (kro) just drastically over-analyze what they read

phew. I'm glad you were being sarcastic.....and, no, it wasn't obviously the case, lol!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Fair or not, I think homosexuality and pedolphilia and all other sexual disorders as a group are all caused by the same thing. Mental illness. I don't buy the fact that one is caused by genetics, another by choice, etc. Sexual activity outside of adult male-female is deviant and people who do deviant things have some mental issues.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Who cares if its a disease, syndrome, demonic possession, or whimsy. Those are all attempted justifications for a disturbing and selfish act that shows no consideration for how the victim will be permanently damaged for the rest of their life.

You cannot "rehabilitate" a peodophile any more than you can a homosexual (which there is nothing wrong with imo).

Bottom line, if you feel the urge to screw children, do the honorable thing and eat a bullet.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I don´t think it is a disease at all. Let me explain.
Lets face it, most men are attracted to younger women. Most of the time, the most attractive female is a 18 year old or so, but this sexual preference does not change much as men get older, as even 60 year olds dream of having a 18 year old, the only thing stopping most from ever realizing this fantasy is the societal opinions, most of the time(unless you are rich and famous, just look at hugh hefner or lots of other older rich guys choice in women, often case they are much younger) A sexual desire does not have to mean the same thing as a desire for a romance, although these can coincide.

As is only natural, everyone is different as well, so this sexual preference may be slightly "skewed" upwards or downwards in age, some guys prefer older women(or at least they say), and some prefer slightly younger. I think this is only natural. The ugliness lies in the eye of the observer, not in the natural creation of these desires, which are becoming more and more prevalent for some reason it seem. Or is it maybe that they have always existed, but only lately they have begun to become more noteworthy due to the advent of the internet spreading awareness all over the globe?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
No it is not a disease. I do think it is a disorder, specifically a mental, emotional and behavioral.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

*SNIP* Joking about it still against T&C

You are of course being facetious?

Some say pedophilla is another sexual orintation others that it is a psychiatric disorder, as this problem has been around since recorded history I believe the former is true, especially as I was a secretary for consultants who dealt with this.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by deanGI5

Are you implying that it's ok for a 20 yr. old man to be attracted to children?

Nobody should.

16 years or older is mentioned in the official definition, with the minimum difference of 5 years:

As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia (or paedophilia) is defined as a psychiatric disorder in adults or late adolescents (persons age 16 or older) typically characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest in prepubescent children (generally age 13 years or younger, though onset of puberty may vary). The child must be at least five years younger in the case of adolescent pedophiles (16 or older) to be classified as pedophilia

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join