It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Etna eruption closes airports and 'knocks clocks 15 minutes fast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Did you see this dated June 9th, 2011?

"...according to Italian local newspapers, the mystery of "misbehaving clocks" has been "solved". As it turns out, Italian authorities where setting up a new undersea power cable, and consequently, the Hz frequency changed from 49-50 to 50-50.13, moving forward all the electric clocks after being hit by EM signal that supposedly affected the whole island."

"Mystery solved, or is it? There is one "slight" problem with the proposed explanation. According to our Italian representative, during the same period of time, battery driven clock at his work also moved backward 15-20 minutes. So something else appears to be at work here."

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
1 - the only way that you can change a clock through changing the frequency of the power line is if the clock is powered by a hysteresis motor. Digital clocks parse time from an on board crystal.

2 - Is there another source for the "time" shift than the times and was it a "time shift" or erroneous instrumentation

No other sources than it is a Daily News reporter on really good weed.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Good explanations in this thread for the clocks time being off. However, are we to dismiss the claim in the OP article that watches experienced the same effect??

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Pehaps it has to do with the part of time we don't understand.

For all we know, time on earth could have jumped forward 15 minutes.

and maybe because time is relevent to the viewer, then only they were effected ?

Trying to think outside the box.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

You know it amazes me that peoples Laptops lost time as well.. and yet when people turn off their laptops and then turn them back on ,,,,,OHH MY GOD,,its the correct time!
But the point being,,,,, u ever try and adjust the time on WindowsVista, for instance,,,,

cutting a cable?
So cutting a cable ,, caused a frequency in the form of ??? to adjust all the "majic fairy crystals" in ALL timepieces, including resetting the "Hands" of each individual clock,,AND in the correct desktop format,,,,, well i guess it could happen.
edit on 10-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Time moves in "hysteresis" ways

I love the fact that is 15 or 20 minutes -- I would expect a report to be a little closer to accurate - what would you compare it to, considering all clocks are affected.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by coastalite
Did you see this dated June 9th, 2011?

"...according to Italian local newspapers, the mystery of "misbehaving clocks" has been "solved". As it turns out, Italian authorities where setting up a new undersea power cable, and consequently, the Hz frequency changed from 49-50 to 50-50.13, moving forward all the electric clocks after being hit by EM signal that supposedly affected the whole island."

"Mystery solved, or is it? There is one "slight" problem with the proposed explanation. According to our Italian representative, during the same period of time, battery driven clock at his work also moved backward 15-20 minutes. So something else appears to be at work here."

Nice, only this seems as though it is a new case of time jumping.

An eruption by Mount Etna on the Italian island of Sicily left a nearby airport closed and ... locals turning up early for work.

The volcano spewed lava on to its south-eastern slopes on Saturday afternoon

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 10-7-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
With the watches doing the same thing, it shouldn't be anything to do with the power grids as watches aren't typically connected to any AC frequency.

May sound a bit off-the-wall, but maybe it has something to do with quartz?

Or maybe they embellished the story by putting 'watches' in the story?

Interesting nevertheless...S&F.

Star for rstregooski for the correlation.
edit on 10-7-2011 by lagnar because: added star

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

and maybe because time is relevent to the viewer, then only they were effected ?

I was thinking kind of the same thing. Not that I really believe it but it did occur to me that with the whole "Timewave Zero" thing, perhaps time is less stable as we approach a certain event horizon. Perhaps there could even be increasing bubbles of different time. Again, not that I actually believe it, but it is an interesting idea. Very SciFi!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Mt. Etna Blows - BIGTIME! *Update* (July 9, 2011) (with pictures)

And by the way? The clock thing? It's two stories being schmooled into one. One from a few weeks ago about a power grid surge and now? Well, now? No clocks changed for me, or anyone in my town and we're at the base of Etna.

peace
edit on 10-7-2011 by silo13 because: link

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

I was thinking kind of the same thing. Not that I really believe it but it did occur to me that with the whole "Timewave Zero" thing, perhaps time is less stable as we approach a certain event horizon. Perhaps there could even be increasing bubbles of different time. Again, not that I actually believe it, but it is an interesting idea. Very SciFi!

Yea I have nothing to backup the idea as I dont' fully understand it ( well who does really ? ) , but I thought it was worth mentioning and throwing into the mix.

I can't wait til the day all this knowledge gets revealed to us. weather in this body/life or the next or inbetween.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Check out if the Schumann Resonance frequency experienced any fluctuations

That would definitely effect time

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the consensus. Time did not travel forwards very quickly in that localised area. Something affected the clocks and made them run fast.

We would need to know if the affected items were quartz time peices or not. To my understanding there are two ways of keeping time. Counting vibrations of a quartz crystal under pressure, or counting cycles int he 50hz power supply. I would postulate that it is only the seccond of these types which were affected, pointing to a power supply issues. If any watches were affected, how were they powered? Were any mechanical watched affected?

Too many questions!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If time went faster or slower why would it affect a clock. The clock is not measuring time -- it is measuring the beats of a pendulum that is swinging because of gravity and against the force of the escapement, -- it is measuring the frequency of an AC powerline, it measuring the vibration of a crystal, it is measuring the track of the sun, it is measuring the drip of water from a container, it is measuring the flow of sand through an orifice, but it in no case -- "measures time"

If time were altered would it not be altered for everyone. Our measurement of time is based on the period of rotation of the earth. We are all subject to the same time.

If the speed of light in a vacumn changed I would start to wonder. Wouldnt that mean the the earth is changing rotational speed. It all gets confusing.

BTW the Earth is slowing at the rate of 1.4 milliseconds per solar day per century That is why we have leap seconds.
edit on 11-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If anything, I do find it odd that there would be a story about the power grids in the USA going to be adjusted and may mess up some clocks and the timing be off, and then this report. All in about the same time frame. What, a couple weeks?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I love all these threads about "time"...time moving forward, stopping, moving backward, etc.

I, myself just experienced time jump ahead 20 minutes; I simply moved my watch ahead 20 minutes.

Who's to say I'm wrong? Who's to say what I did is any different than what's happened here?

The issue is that these seconds, minutes and hours...we invented them. Seconds did not exist until we named them such. They really don't mean anything, just a way for us to measure the passage of time. There is no ultimate timekeeper here saying that this clock is correct but this is incorrect. We invented this measurement as a way to map the passage of time for ourselves. Our time is not universal. It may not even be used by all inhabitants of our planet.
Sure, a "year" is somewhat concrete. We can roughly map the seasons this way. The sun rises and sets 365'ish times for many of us, more "concrete" measurement. But who says a day is really one sun cycle? We do? Who defines a day? We do. 60 ticks in a minute...says who? Humans. That's all.

On the east coast of the US, I have one analog clock that reads 5:10. The smallest hand makes a full pass and the clock now reads 5:11

Right next to that clock I have another analog clock that reads 3:07. Again, the smallest hand makes a full pass and the clock now reads 3:08.

Which is correct? How do we find out? We can check GMT, but what is that really synced with? We can check the position of the sun in the sky...but that will only allow us to judge time as it relates to our perception of time. According to our "Noon", the sun should be directly overhead..."mid-day"...but again, 12pm is something that we invented. So, judging by the sun's location in the sky, we should roughly be able to figure whether it is closer to 5pm, or 3pm...according to us. Time is human...time is not natural.

"Time" on people's Wal-Mart watches and clocks means nothing. Now, if you tell me that you actually observed the sun move "15 minutes" worth of time in the course of "1 second", that would be something to ponder.
And you if you observed this take place in Italy, but no other area of the planet witnessed it...then what actually moved? The sun? Our planet? The land mass beneath your feet? You?

It's all relative.

So for all of you thinking that our human time is skewed due to a natural disaster...consider what you're saying.

It is all relative.
edit on 11-7-2011 by DOcean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOcean
I love all these threads about "time"...time moving forward, stopping, moving backward, etc.

I, myself just experienced time jump ahead 20 minutes; I simply moved my watch ahead 20 minutes.

Who's to say I'm wrong? Who's to say what I did is any different than what's happened here?

The issue is that these seconds, minutes and hours...we invented them. Seconds did not exist until we named them such. They really don't mean anything, just a way for us to measure the passage of time. There is no ultimate timekeeper here saying that this clock is correct but this is incorrect. We invented this measurement as a way to map the passage of time for ourselves. Our time is not universal. It may not even be used by all inhabitants of our planet.
Sure, a "year" is somewhat concrete. We can roughly map the seasons this way. The sun rises and sets 365'ish times for many of us, more "concrete" measurement. But who says a day is really one sun cycle? We do? Who defines a day? We do. 60 ticks in a minute...says who? Humans. That's all.

On the east coast of the US, I have one analog clock that reads 5:10. The smallest hand makes a full pass and the clock now reads 5:11

Right next to that clock I have another analog clock that reads 3:07. Again, the smallest hand makes a full pass and the clock now reads 3:08.

Which is correct? How do we find out? We can check GMT, but what is that really synced with? We can check the position of the sun in the sky...but that will only allow us to judge time as it relates to our perception of time. According to our "Noon", the sun should be directly overhead..."mid-day"...but again, 12pm is something that we invented. So, judging by the sun's location in the sky, we should roughly be able to figure whether it is closer to 5pm, or 3pm...according to us. Time is human...time is not natural.

"Time" on people's Wal-Mart watches and clocks means nothing. Now, if you tell me that you actually observed the sun move "15 minutes" worth of time in the course of "1 second", that would be something to ponder.
And you if you observed this take place in Italy, but no other area of the planet witnessed it...then what actually moved? The sun? Our planet? The land mass beneath your feet? You?

It's all relative.

So for all of you thinking that our human time is skewed due to a natural disaster...consider what you're saying.

It is all relative.

Actually what you did was manipulate the device used to tell time, not jump ahead in time by setting your watch ahead. You do have some valid points, but simply setting a device ahead by 20 minutes is not the same thing. I also dont think that a land mass moving, would have anything to do with actual time changing. You might, if you moved far enough to be in a different time zone, but as you say, that would be just for our way of relevant time keeping.

Time does mean something. Time is measured because by which the speed of the Earth rotates, or now a days maybe I should phrase it as, by the way it used to rotate. By a certain speed and that is how it is broken down to our measurements. Light travels at a certain speed, so we know the speed and the time it travels to determine distance. I am not saying that time is always a constant, but there is reasons why time is there for a reason and how it is measured for a reason. If it didnt how would we know the phases of the moon, the ocean tides, eclipses, etc etc.

Now, in a way, you are right. The calendar and whatever the heck is going on with the axis or wobble or whatever you want to call it, how many times the calendar has been messed with thru the course of years. Yes, I agree, who really does know what day or year it really is. I mean they tell us the moon is moving away from us ever so slightly every year but maybe we are actually moving closer to the sun! Maybe that is our climate change, more external force being put on the Earth crust, the sun seems brighter and hotter. EMF breaking down. Who knows, we never going to be told the truth anyway. Maybe Italy experienced a flash foward moment in the time space-continum. Maybe there are random bubbles, as in the new theory in quantum physics that are just floating around, and they hit one. Maybe they saw the volcano erupt 15 minutes before any of the rest of us even knew about it. You know the saying, "I guess I was just ahead of my time". Maybe Atlantis hit one of these, maybe the Myans did, maybe the Egyptians did, who knows. Maybe just some freak EMP wave affected thinks somehow. Maybe the most intense part of the eruption lasted 15 minutes and people were fixated on that and by the time they realized to look at the clocks, 15 minutes passed and they didnt realized it. Maybe a shockwave we never heard of came out and zapped everyone out or dazed them. Not out of the realm of possibility.

Its weird, its strange, maybe unexplainable, maybe a very plausible one, or maybe something new we never seen before. To tell the truth, the way things are happening right now, a pink elephant could fly out of the sky with a Klondike ice cream bar and hand me one and I wouldnt even be shocked or suprised. I would be like cool, thanks. Look a flying elephant just gave me a Klondike bar. Things are that strange right now.

I think there is alot of things in the timeline wave, space and time vaccum, space-time continum, how time works in gravity and in no gravity, that our minds have not even touched on yet. So anything is possible. And you cant even throw out the possibility the whole thing is just a hoax or misunderstanding as well. But, I will agree with you on some things but some other things maybe not so strongly, You used the sundial for example, and many of ancient civilizations used the sun, moon, planets, and stars to track time just as accurately as our atomic clock. But, I do agree, like you said, who really does know what time it is, and no I am not going to type the chorus to the rest of that song.

edit on 12-7-2011 by sdebunker because: typo

edit on 12-7-2011 by sdebunker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join