It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Direction of the Conspiracy Movement....... Fiction or facts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The conspiracy movement in recent years has exploded; the range of topics covered by this movement is truly colossal ranging from 9/11 to secret government organisations right through to UFO’s and Chemtrails. With grater mainstream coverage of the conspiracy movement the members of our conspiracy movement have grown, with people who may have less interest in the truth and more interested in promoting grandiose works of fiction . It has become so massive and so full of fiction, I fear that the direction of the conspiracy movement has become clouded and is now a victim of its own success. The value of a new conspiracy is not based on the research behind it but how it spectacular it is and how it fits in with contemporary conspiracy norms that for the most part also do not have any bias in fact. This I feel is beginning to fuel a generation of conspiracy theorists who are now more interested in the spectacular conspiracies that would be better suited to fictional Hollywood movies rather than a factual movement seeking truth.

As a conspiracy theorist who is openly opposed to many of these contemporary norms I am often left perplexed at the views of some of my conspiracy peers who appear to have fallen into this trap of promoting the spectacular rather than what may be the truth. A perfect example of this is the default assumption amongst many in the conspiracy community to declare everything as being a NWO false flag without even bothering to conduct even the briefest of research to determine if such a view is viable. Another example of this is the response to almost any UFO video as being believed by some as being the “ultimate truth” and proving the existence of extraterrestrials. Surly exploring other perhaps more believable and evidence based conspiracies rather than these conspiracy norms would lead the conspiracy movement into new realms. For instance, a NWO false flag may not upon rigorous research prove to be a false flag but rather be exposed as a corporate conspiracy of negligence, or a UFO sighting may prove to expose covert military projects rather than green men from space.

This is my no means intended as a call to dismiss the idea of the existence of NWO false flags or UFO’s rather it is a call for more rigorous research driven conspiracies that are based on historical and scientific facts. As I see it, the current direction is moving towards a much more fiction driven set of beliefs that have parallels with religious movements rather than an investigative movement driven by scientific and historical facts to create an alternative paradigm from which to extrapolate an alternative narrative explaining significant world events. I am quite certain that this is by no means the first time the parallel between religion and the more extremist conspiracy views have been identified. It does raise an important question regarding the direction of the conspiracy movement, is it becoming a religious movement rather than a movement for truth, to two are not mutually inclusive rather they are mutually exclusive.

There is another worrying trend in the conspiracy movement aside from the trap of conspiracy norms and the manifestation of a possible religious movement. That is the raise of conspiracy market, making profit out of the conspiracy movement. This takes many forms, most notably from the plethora of online persona’s who are promoting the conspiracy norms, instilling fear in people and providing misinformation often with very little research, lots of bias and a whole sack of paranoia all to boost profits. This can take many forms, be it the overt promotion of books, DVD’s and seminars or online advertising all of it is pointing towards a increasingly market driven conspiracy movement that is akin to the entertainment industry. Many of these conspiracy personas know what the majority of conspiracy theorists want to hear or expect to hear, they know that if they drop the word’s “New World Order or 2012” into a book title they are going to boost sales. They will twist facts, make stuff up, bring in bias sources and just fill a book or DVD if they know they are giving their audience what they want, just like a good Dan Brown book or film. In knowing what they want their audience to hear they are only going to promote those topics and ignore the other important conspiracies that may have a more solid grounding in reality rather than fiction. For example why are the major conspiracy personas spending so much time ranting on and on about how everything is a 9/11 false flag, part of a grand NWO plan or disguising 2012 yet never give the same time to promoting an alternative account of Pam an 103.

When profits begin to take on grater precedence than the truth then the conspiracy movement is no longer a movement of truth it is a market movement of profits. When one considers that many of these now famous conspiracy personas and outlets are relying on these profits to maintain their livelihoods and status amongst the conspiracy community it becomes evident that the risk of the conspiracy movement becoming a profit driven movement is very real. As we all know profits will only lead to corruption, be it conspiracy theorists omitting information that may put their benefactors and sponsors in a poor light or the nature of competition leading to in fighting in the community it’s all going to end the same. The conspiracy movement will become corrupted by the pursuit of capitalist profits.

There is another change in direction of the conspiracy movement I have noticed since recently joining ATS. That is a move to a greater interest in the paranormal, my view is that a conspiracy theory should be grounded in historical and scientific fact to present an alternative narrative to a specific event. When looking into the paranormal this becomes incredibly difficult if not impossible, the swarm of profits and those claiming to have seen ghosts or be tormented by demons in the night and the association of NWO groups with Satan is not compatible with a serious movement of truth. Here it seems that the conspiracy movement is merging with the paranormal movement, again the two are very rarely compatible.

I feel that the direction of the conspiracy theory should be to move away from the many tangents and traps it has fallen for in many years. I think that the conspiracy movement should move away from the conspiracy norms, the religion of conspiracy, the conspiracy market and the paranormal movement. I believe at its heart the conspiracy movement should one of truth, truth that is founded in historical and scientific facts, seeking to exploit the real truth and not fictitious. Too some my views may appear to be narrow and it is a criticism I will not only accept but embrace.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to some intelligent discussion.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Excellent points and very well written- S & F
What has happened is basically what happened to the UFO movement and the New Age movement- charltans see an opportunity to swindle people and it eventually gets difficult to separate the "true" researchers from the con-artists. Very sad.....

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

I think it is fair to include the UFO movement in the conspiracy movement.

I love UFO conspiracies, real ones. The stories of the lights over Washington, Battle of LA, 1976 Iran UFO chase, Roswell and others fascinate me. But so like so many other aspects of the conspiracy movement its overall direction has became corrupted with every kid with a video camera and editing software trying to make a name for himself. I also get annoyed at every UFO video being declared as being extraterrestrial, this I would define as a conspiracy norm. Why do people don’t also go and look at the possibility of a secret military project, it does not debunk the idea of the existence of extraterrestrial UFO’s rather it gives us the opportunity to expose another conspiracy. What we really need are more genuine conspiracy theorists too seriously look at these sightings and expose them for what they are one way or the other and less con men looking to make a quick buck out of their newest book.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You forgot one thing... the seemingly concerted attempts of those who would try to lump those searching for and attempting to connect the various dots into a movement. Doing so, not only provides others with a "norm" of acceptable topics but also provides a primer on what are acceptable ways of going about research.

I am not interested in being a part of a movement, thank you very much...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Do you have anything else to contribute other than to day you are not a member of this movement.

If you wanted too I could give the term “conspiracy movement” another name, let’s call it “ATS membership” most of what I have wrote is probably still relevant. You are arguing over the label rather than discussing the issues ,as a member of this site it would suggest you are at the very least interested in conspiracies and as such the direction of the conspiracy movement will impact on your beliefs. Even if you do not regard yourself as a member, the issues I have discussed in this thread are relevant to everyone interested in conspiracy theories.

I am also sure that there are many ATSster’s who can add to what I have wrote.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Do you have anything else to contribute other than to day you are not a member of this movement.

If you wanted too I could give the term “conspiracy movement” another name, let’s call it “ATS membership” most of what I have wrote is probably still relevant. You are arguing over the label rather than discussing the issues ,as a member of this site it would suggest you are at the very least interested in conspiracies and as such the direction of the conspiracy movement will impact on your beliefs. Even if you do not regard yourself as a member, the issues I have discussed in this thread are relevant to everyone interested in conspiracy theories.

But I did contribute, it may not have been what you wanted to hear because you obviously spent a great deal of time and thought in writing your OP but that doesn't discount the fact that, for me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. it doesn't matter what "label" you put on it, it still is the same thing. I see it every day I read ATS. Whenever a group of any sort comes together, group norms develop. There are norms here at ATS of what is considered acceptable to talk about and what is trash, etc... Those norms limit content. I've seen many ridiculed on this site to the point of leaving because of this phenomena. People get "trained" in quippy remarks or feel they have to maintain a certain stance because that is their "identity" here. I actually feel sorry for some long time posters (that I won't name here) that have a reputation to uphold because there is no way they could change their stances on their chosen "field of research" even if they wanted to. The "community" would be like... "OMG, XXXX's account has been hacked" or "OMG XXXX is a shill!" or just because of ego.

Anytime people try to organize a group/community/membership/movement this happens. It is human nature and most "conspiracy theorists" ARE human, by the way

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

See? You even did it yourself! Isn't this the exact same behavior of the scientific establishment?
edit on 10/7/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
There is no conspiracy movement ...people are so divided about everything in life and so about conspiracies.
Someone will believe in chemtrails but not in aliens, alien visitation believer will say chemtrails are stupid conspiracy , 2012 ers are not interested in other conspiracies etc etc.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I applaud the OP. I was contemplating writing one like this but won't because this OP raises the points I was going to make.

The points here are absolutely correct, sensationalism and profiteering is rampant in the conspiratorial community.

I respect guys like Alex Jones and Dave Icke, but Jones is too shrill often and sensationalist, and Icke is an example of a very non-scientific almost religious-like conspiracy theorist whose strange ideas may do more harm than good to the movement.

Though I repeat, I respect and like both of them as long as they are truly sincere and not, as many have accused them of: being shills.

Again this is an outstanding OP that should be read by everyone on ATS interested in the real conspiracies that are all around us.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

There are now more facts out there than ever before in Human History. as far as we know....

But because of the internet and people who speak before they think logically and critically, we also have the most fiction ever in human history.

I guess they balance each other out then.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Great observations. I enjoy a well thought out conspiracy theory as it has often been proven the fact can be stranger than fiction. It makes me think of different possibilities.

I seen UFO’s, but they are just that. UFO’s. I couldn’t identify them, didn’t see them up close or land. But I do believe that they are possible.

When my Father retired, we moved next to a cemetery and I have seen a lot of strange things there as well. Could they ghosties? Maybe, but it seems to me that if someone were to haunt this plane, they would seek more familiar territory.

As for the NWO (one group, runs all theory) I don’t buy it. There are to many cabals out there who have opposing views on how things should be run.

As for profit. People will look at anything to make a buck. It is impossible to keep a movement clean and pure. Just look at religion.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Though I repeat, I respect and like both of them (Alex Jones and David Icke) as long as they are truly sincere and not, as many have accused them of: being shills.

Perhaps it's only shills who claim they are shills.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

OP I think you do not understand the Movement as you call it at all.
Its not about the quantity of topics even though there are many.
It is about a body of smart clever people just asking for the truth.
On every thread people take the topics apart and find truth and
i for one salute this site and all its members.
It serves me better than a news site always ahead of the rest and
the FIRST place i visit every day
THANK YOU
Peace out
Plazmuh

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You raise many valid points however some criticisms may also be seen as valid. The PTB that create the valid conspiracies or more serious conspiracies you claim also work in the realms of fiction.
The way that film and television are used to promote the mainstream agenda is bound to influence us we are all susceptible to it. Till I knew better I watched mainstream. We also now have great difficulties protecting children from it's pernicious influence. So we've all grown up with it's influence. So many of the things you see on here are a reflection not only of the fears created but of their only means of expressing or rationalising those created fears. They are right to claim that fears are being created but may be trained or limited in their ability to express those fears or the rationale for them. That is what more serious conspiracies over and above those you have mentioned have brought about. Control of the media, imagery and interpretation is the one that springs to mind.
So forgive them their fears and wild imaginations and just be thankful they've still imagination left and understand that something is wrong because not too far in the future one can see a time when neither will be true.
edit on 10/7/11 by goldentorch because: spelling

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mfc1PLAZMUH

I don’t know if you read past the first two paragraphs but this thread is intended to criticise the volume of conspiracy literature available or specifically criticise ATS in anyway, I welcome the volume of conspiracy media, yet I do have to question the direction it is taking the conspiracy movement. This thread is discussing the changes in the conspiracy movement, it seems that we are moving away from being a movement, or a collective if individuals of you prefer, who seek truth to a group that is far more interested in the newest spectacular work of fiction driven by profiteers who are taking advantage of an emerging religion of conspiracy.

top topics

join