It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Over 4000 Gay Marriages Annulled by California Supreme Court

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Want it your religious way? Then do away with divorce. Because you can't have it both ways. The oath you make to god is "until death do us part". But then again too many people are religious pretenders. Not talking about you but people in general.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
BTW.. if the churches want to dictate legislation then let them pay taxes like everyone else.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON
Marriage is between a man and a woman. Ever since the days of Adam, it has been and will be. How dare someone change the rules of tradition and respect towards God. He did not mean for marraige between two men or two women whatsoever. NO IF's AND's or BUT's about it. End tof transmission. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming

Me and Tachyon have butted heads before, and he most DEFINITELY fits that stubborn, nonsensical anti-gay type that I described earlier.

You don't know if there is a God, much less what He thinks. Assuming you are right to begin with (big assumption), there's thing in America called separation of church and state; it's why Muslims are allowed to worship here. It's why Jews are here. It's why Buddhists, Mormons -- you name it -- are allowed to worship freely in America. Because of that, your religious reason (which is spotty to begin with) means nothing in this debate. If you are saying gay people should not be allowed to legally marry because the Bibles says the mean evil gay people are very very bad, you'll have to find another reason. Freedom of religion, freedom from religion.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
back when this debate was hot here in sweden I very seldom heard such ignorence.
the most recent debate was about if gays should be able to adopt.
on this subject, more contructive debate could be held without religious fundamentalists or closed-minded konservatives.

today gays can get married and adopt here and have been for a while.
church IS seperated from state in your country as well as mine, but still religious fundamentalists in your country try to force their belifs on others, one being your president.
what these people are making themselves guilty of is the same as bin ladin and co. to make oppresive legaslation based on religion.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by disturbence]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Let me once again remind everyone that being gay is not a choice or lifestyle, you can not decide what does or does not turn you on.
This has nothing to do with gay people not respecting "straight" traditions, this has to do with gay people wanting to have a normal life, just like the ones lucky enough to be born straight.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Being gay is up to you its not something your born with. And i am so happy thee licenses got revoked because they should end have been married in the first place. If they want o get married they should move to Canada if not then civil unions are the way to go.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
In addition, let me remained you that gays are here they been here since beginning of time and they are here to stay.

Anything your gay bashers say or think or do is not going to change the fact that they are human they are all around and most of them are productive society members and is nothing I or you can do to change that, so stop the fighting and get used to it.

Because as human being on this nation they have the same right that, you or I have under the constitution of the US.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Being gay is up to you its not something your born with.

I strongly disagree.

As a gay man myself, I can inform you that not once did I make any conscious decision about my sexuality. Ask any gay person and they will tell you the same. I grew up in a normal family, and none of the theories on the cause of homosexuality apply to me (e.g. lack of a father figure more gay men and vice versa). So with psychological reasons out the way it boils down to genetics. I, and every other homosexual like me must have been born that way.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   

You're wrong, simple as that.
There's lots of people that think this though, so I am glad you are adressing it.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I want to know what happened to the money these people paid for their marriage licenses. My mom is a court clerk and issues them for, I think, $20 each. Did these people pay for them and, if so, what happens to the money? I haven't heard anything about whether they get it refunded or have to ask for it, or even had to pay for it in the first place.

The mayor, regardless of what he was trying to accomplish on behalf of the gay community, should have kept his committment to uphold the law and found a different way of going about supporting this issue. You can't take a whiz on the system and then expect that same system to back you up later when you go through channels.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Being gay is up to you its not something your born with. And i am so happy thee licenses got revoked because they should end have been married in the first place. If they want o get married they should move to Canada if not then civil unions are the way to go.

Not to start anything unfirendly, this being a sincere enquiry.. but unless you yourself have 'chosen' to be gay yourself.. how do you know it's a simple rational choice of who you want to screw that week. As for the civil union... well whats the big problem with calling it a marraIGE? Secular civil marraiges are still marraiges arnt they?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hmm well i see some old faces in here spewing their same old rhetoric to a new audience...so i think ill jump into this as well.

While BEING gay may indeed not be a choice,
getting MARRIED is.

No one has any right to be married, and no one is gaurenteed that they will ever find a spouse.

to marry or not to marry......that is a CHOICE, not a right.
How is marriage being forced upon anyone?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Your point makes as little sense now as it did the first time you said it Caz.

If you CHOOSE to get married, you should be afforded the same type of rights that come along with a governmental recognized relationship -- whether it's a 'normal' relationship, an interracial relationship, or a gay relationship.

How hard is that to understand? How does it being a choice factor into any of this? It's a choice whether you have kids or not, does that give the government free reign to pick and choose who it will give tax breaks / exemptions to among similar couples?

[edit on 13-8-2004 by W_HAMILTON]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hamiliton, I have talked before that being gay is a choice and that naturally it is wrong. These marriages are not legal and should have been revoved which I am glad it happend.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Berry

I strongly disagree.

As a gay man myself, I can inform you that not once did I make any conscious decision about my sexuality. Ask any gay person and they will tell you the same. I grew up in a normal family, and none of the theories on the cause of homosexuality apply to me (e.g. lack of a father figure more gay men and vice versa). So with psychological reasons out the way it boils down to genetics. I, and every other homosexual like me must have been born that way.

It does not boil down to genetics, it is a choice. You were probably to young to remember that you were normal at one point as an infant, thats why you cannot remember being straight. If it is proven that it is not a choice I bet you will see it on the six o clock news, and guesss what it wont because it is not a matter of genetics.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Not to start anything unfirendly, this being a sincere enquiry.. but unless you yourself have 'chosen' to be gay yourself.. how do you know it's a simple rational choice of who you want to screw that week.

IMO its a preference that you make during your youth years and this decision can be affected by factors IMO. For example if your mom is rising you up with Barbie's and makeup this could make you homosexual. You didn't pop out and say hey mom Im gay its a choice you make s you grow up.
Although I can see where you are coming from cuz I love women and what they have, its not something I had to think about it was just there like a natural attraction. I didn't have to think about it, so it could be either one but we can chose one over the other cuz we frankly don't know all the facts.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Being a homosexual is no more or less of a choice than being heterosexual. The marriages were legal because of the protection of "equal protection under law". Revoking them was illegal.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
It's both sad and hilarious to see all these people say that being gay is a choice or decision untill proved otherwise.
What stunns me is that people obviously don't even understand their own desires and sexuality enough to make any statements about something they even know less about, being gay.

I would suggest them to do some searcges on google about experiments on gay sheep, also talking to gay people probably could take away some of their utter ignorance.

It's never been a choice/decision and it never will be.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It not right to have gay people officially married. It's not about religion. It's just against nature. They have been unlucky to be gay, too bad.

So I welcome the news!

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I don' t think gay people want to get married for a purely religous basis. It is a way of showing devotion and love and commitment and sharing. Surely people have a right to show that in a legal sense too.

Westpoint, people do not chose to be gay, it is a natural feeling for them. You are ignorant.

This banning is pure small mindedness, especially in a place that calls itself the land of the free. What a joke.

What you have to remember is that this is in the USA, a country up untill a very short while ago segregated blacks and whites.

The American society is a VERY new one and still needs to "grow up".

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join