It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET #8572514

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
After debating for several moment on exactly where to locate this thread, I ended up here so a mod wouldn't have to move it.

A little background: I have been an IT person since the early 1980s and have seen threats come and go. I have worked for major corporations and made it through all the major viruses/trojans and other crap spread through infected email attachments.

After seeing a post last week on ATS about the IRS Notification email from IRS Support and the OP questioning the validity of the email, I thought you all needed to be informed about the latest threat that turned up in my inbox today. This is what I received:

To: my.email.com address
Subject: UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET #8572514 (or some other randomly generated number)

Body: New York State — Department of Motor Vehicles

UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET

POLICE AGENCY

NEW YORK STATE POLICE

Local Police Code

THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time
7:25 AM

Date of Offense
07/02/2011

IN VIOLATION OF
NYS V AND T LAW

Description of Violation
SPEED OVER 55 ZONE

TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117

There is an attachment named: Ticket.zip

If you download and extract the TICKET.ZIP file and run the TICKET.EXE executable, you will have installed TrojanDownloader:Win32/Chepvil.K (as identified by Microsoft.)

Other AntiVirus software may detect as:
BKDR_HOSTIL.AJ (Trend Micro)
Trojan.Win32.Sasfis.bhrn (Kaspersky)
# Troj/Agent-RGK (Sophos)
# Trojan.FakeAV (Symantec)

This program once installed to your computer will call itself either 'XP Total Security' or 'XP Anti-Spyware 2011'. On execution it will pretend to scan over your system and find ~25 or so items needing removal. It will then request you to purchase a subscription while having constant popups about infections. It copies itself to Application Data folder and Temporary Internet Files folder, as well as Installing itself into the registry.

People, please use common sense. The cops, the IRS, DHL, UPS or Fedex will not send you an email and have you extract a .zip file, .pdf, .doc or any other file unless you request something from them. Please delete and mark these emails as spam.
edit on 10-7-2011 by survivalstation because: Link to IRS thread

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Thanks survivalstation, I had not heard of this one.

On a similar note I recieved a phone call last night the conversation goes as follows:

Ring Ring Ring

(ME) Hello.

(Caller) Hi this Jane from PC support.

(ME) OK.

(Caller) Your computer has sent us several notifications of viruses.

(Me) Really, that's odd. Where are you from again?

(Caller) PC support your computer has a virus!

(Me) I don't have a computer. (obviously i do but I don't like tele marketing especially scams)

(Caller) (silence for five seconds) sigh, beep beep beep beep.

Glad they didn't call my Nan who knows what they were up too.

Regards

Tlasalt
edit on 10/7/2011 by tlasalt because: missed a bit

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tlasalt

Thanks for the info. I had heard of this a few years back but never had the pleasure to 'play' with the caller.

I almost posted this under Social Issues just because of the social engineering factor involved.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

There have been a few speeding ticket scams go around Australia over the past few years, I have never heard of one coming via email before though.

Its pretty easy most people just get a ticket in the mail and pay it without ever thinking twice.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tlasalt

Same thing happens in the States with red light cameras and toll tag cameras. Bill comes in the mail for a few bucks and people just pay without question, but not me!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I know its bad but as a matter of principal I point blank refuse to pay fines for traffic infringements, well not for a few years anyway its like squeezing blood out of stone. Currently I have 3 or 4 minor speeding fines from cameras late night driving no cars on the road dual carriage way 15 to 20kmh over, It was not unsafe I am perfectly capable and my car is built to drive at much higher speeds safely. I like to string them out for as long as possible.

Here in Queensland Australia you can drag it out for years pay it of at a couple of dollars per week.

We have ridiculously low highway speed limits.

This is my protest.

Tlasalt

woops! off topic rant

new topics

top topics

join