It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have been researching Antipodal Mapping and earthquakes, I know it sounds crazy..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I have been researching for some time about antipodal mapping of earthquakes, I am sure some are and some arent aware of this. Its bascially the exact same spot on the exact opposite side of the Earth. Now I am not saying this is a means of a prediction or anything like that, but just as a food for thought and something I keep researching.

To explain how I even arrived to try it, I just somehow was messing around with the whole equal and opposite reaction thing and just reading about Newton. One day, I was looking at a 10 day earthquake map and just somehow was something I noticed or whatever you want to call it. Its not always a hit of course, but it does mostly seem to hit a general area. You can do it yourself, I use. Link just because its easy to use.

Now I couldnt and still cant figure out, if its even valid, IF it a volcano or especially an earthquake happened did it have an affect on the exact opposite end at the same point. And was it thru the Earth or around. So in thinking, I arrived to the conclusion, that if the waves were moving out in all directions, the last place they would meet, or run into each other, would be, in fact, at the farthest point from where they generated. I.E., the exact opposite point on the other side of the Earth. Now as different waves, travel at different speeds and taking depth, land mass, and water into account, all that I havent figured out. And if it has any affect at all, I doubt I will be figuring that out at all any time soon.

But just some examples. When the Kermadec Islands had the big quake there the antipodal point was Morocco. Depending on where along that chain it is the general area is NW Africa, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, the Med sea. That general area. When the big quake struck, there was also a quake in the Med Sea. Japan's antipodal point is east of Argentina well out in the ocean, but in the area around between the Ascension Islands and the South Sandwich Islands. General area activity or no activity, dont know? I did the same with central California and came out the antipodal point around Mozambique or in the general area of SE Africa. Now I made a post in quake watch and right after that, there was a quake posted off the coast of Oregon, I looked up the antipodal point and it was just off the coast of the SE of Africa.

The odd New Hampshire quake comes out to just off the coast of SW Australia, but nothing I know of that has been telling of that. The PR quakes and Mona Passage quakes antipodal points comes out around the area of the Java and Banda Sea, where both places have been having quakes at the same time. The Ascension Islands antipodal point does come out to the area of Papau/Solomon Islands. The Ascension Islands and Papua both had a 4.9 mag within 59 minutes of each other on 7/9-/7/10.

New Madrid Fault comes out in the middle of the ocean near McDonald and Heard Island north of Antartica. Both islands do have volcanic activity there from time to time. Myanmar antipodal point is off the coast of Chile. Christchurch, New Zealand comes out at the area of the northern coast of Spain, not sure of any quakes there recently. The Alaskan quake antipodal point is out in the ocean off the coast of SW South Africa about where the Antartica, African, and South American plates meet.

Those are just some examples, and you can try for yourself. I know, I know. I am going to get the, "that doesnt make sense, that isnt plate techtonics", "you cant predict earthquakes". I know all that, and its not explaining away plate tech's, but its an affect afterwards. And I am not predicting anything, but just offering something to look into. If its something, then at least it gives a general area to "watch". No idea if it matters if its at a certain depth, waves travel more over land than water, the type of seismic waves. Just something I wanted to share. Im just a thinker, not a scientist.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This sounds plausible,im no expert but im guessing if an eruption or quake occurs,theres vibrations or ripples that follow beneath or on the earths surface,and i think its safe to say that these ripples eventually meet on the other side of the planet and cause some sort of disturbance..just my take.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
here a nice antipod calculator.....

www.antipodemap.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Thanks, I am on the fence about it, but feel its worth looking into anyway. I am going to keep on looking into it and post what I find. There may of already been someone that has researched this that I am not aware of. Of course, if anyone else has any input, I am always for an open forum.

All points of view are welcome, I listen to all and never duck a question and if I dont know the answer, I will say so. But above all at least thanks for reading and participating in the discussion if you wish to do so.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
here a nice antipod calculator.....

www.antipodemap.com...

Thanks, that is what I use. That is the link I provided in the OP but you spelled out the whole site, which is what I should of done. You was picking up my slack

I found that to be the easiest map to use so far, for me anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sdebunker

Thanks for this. Didn't know about that site.

Have long been curious about the same thing.

Have long FELT that there was SOMETIMES a relationship. Don't know what the factors are or if my feelings are accurate on that. If you come up with something, please U2U me.

I suspect that the quakes have to be pretty significant for there to be a relationship. And, perhaps there has to be a corresponding vulnerability on the antipodal location.

If you factored in those two variables, I wonder if the hit ratio would go up.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Wondered, wondering the same kind of things. Thats why I questioned the does the depth thing matter as well. I am just in the early stages of this, But if I come up with something, will do.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Funny, was just discussing the very same thing with my friend yesterday! Thanks for this post and especially link.....will be having loads of fun with that later!

rainbows
jane

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
its always nice to eplore even crazy ideas.

if you look at mercury you can see the effect of comets meteors asteroids whatever you want to call them.

a big rock hits mercury hard because it has no atmosphere so you can see craters on one side of the planet and on the Antipodal point you can see what are called strange or weird geologic formations basically sharp steep mountains formed from the impact on the other side. cool stuff.

here is an example i used in a thread I wrote up that included all the planets, i think it was titles soothing sounds of the solar system.. was a great thread that got overlooked.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c53e818b639e.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Interesting!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Good work my friend...
I have been doing the same thing for sometime and find it somewhat predictable also.
Although, (as you stated), relevant activity appears to be generated in the "antipodal" area of an event, it is most often too distant from the actual "antipodal" point to be positively linked... unless.
Here's what I have done, try it and let me know what you see.
- Overlay a "global fault lines map" of the same scale...
- Plot at least 48 hrs of earthquake activity... (more if you can) this will give you a better "feel" for where the stress is building along the faults nearest the "antipodal point".
- Look and compare for "subduction" zones along the "antipodal point".
- Also watch for "volcanic activity"... lava release unlocks plate "binding" points by dropping land mass that has been "lifted" into lock position.
- The more time you spend at it... the more you are likely to "predict"!?

"Like everything else, I will do my research should I find someone's perspective, comment or opinion causing me to question my own".
I don't "blog or post" to convince anyone or read and participate to be "lead". I do these things to seek out and distribute different perspectives that lead to solid evidence that strengthen my beliefs or weaken them as to define them as uncertainties.
I tend to be an "individual", (as we all are) but one who intends on remaining an individual. I will not be "lead" by another persons opinions any more than I would expect to be a leader to anyone who would follow me just because the statements I made, agrees with theirs.
If you do your "research", anaylize it then form an opinion or belief, you've earned the right to it. If not, then you are not as cleaver as you think.
You should stand for your own beliefs, be open to new information, seek out that information, decide through whatever means necessary if it is valid, then form your own opinion. That way, regardless if your standing in front of the "enemy" you can stand tall and be who you really are!

Watch LA, California for the next week... Stress is building up by movement from the north pacific coastline and the south pacific.

I "am not" a not an educated man in this field, I just research to find the truth within the bull#.
edit on -05002011-07-10T15:22:05-05:0031/12/200 by Retorque because: Needed to add my reasoning!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retorque

Good work my friend...
I have been doing the same thing for sometime and find it somewhat predictable also.
Although, (as you stated), relevant activity appears to be generated in the "antipodal" area of an event, it is most often too distant from the actual "antipodal" point to be positively linked... unless.
Here's what I have done, try it and let me know what you see.
- Overlay a "global fault lines map" of the same scale...
- Plot at least 48 hrs of earthquake activity... (more if you can) this will give you a better "feel" for where the stress is building along the faults nearest the "antipodal point".
- Look and compare for "subduction" zones along the "antipodal point".
- Also watch for "volcanic activity"... lava release unlocks plate "binding" points by dropping land mass that has been "lifted" into lock position.
- The more time you spend at it... the more you are likely to "predict"!?

Watch LA, California for the next week... Stress is building up by movement from the north pacific coastline and the south pacific.

I "am not" a not an educated man in this field, I just research to find the truth within the bull#.

I will try that! Thanks. I too always found it to be in the general area. I have been watching the Cascadian area and I keep coming out with the general area off the SW coast of Australia for some reason here lately. Did you apply the moons phase or perigee/apogee to your reasoning? I havent figured out how to factor that in yet.

You sound like me, just a researcher, just trying to find common ground. I always say, "I want to learn something about alot, instead of alot about something. For if I do, I have lost focus on everything else" Sort of my way of explaining the difference between open minded and close minded people I guess.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Retorque

Agree with your added reasoning!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdebunker
Now I couldnt and still cant figure out, if its even valid, IF it a volcano or especially an earthquake happened did it have an affect on the exact opposite end at the same point. And was it thru the Earth or around. So in thinking, I arrived to the conclusion, that if the waves were moving out in all directions, the last place they would meet, or run into each other, would be, in fact, at the farthest point from where they generated. I.E., the exact opposite point on the other side of the Earth. Now as different waves, travel at different speeds and taking depth, land mass, and water into account, all that I havent figured out. And if it has any affect at all, I doubt I will be figuring that out at all any time soon.

I like your ideas, this above though...presumably, if the water, geology, other physical features, perhaps weather conditions etc, do have an effect on the speed and or energy of the wave, then aren't they more likely to meet at a point that isn't opposite from where they started...it presumes symmetry, and while I can see that if the Earth was a perfect sphere the ever increasing radius of the waves would eventually converge on a single point...wouldn't that be highly dependent upon whether the wave had sufficient energy...??? Have you considered that it could be responsive rather than causal? A release of pressure creates a need for a shift in position elsewhere...like a system of connected valves, one goes off, another needs adjusting... Could the patterns be as suggestive of that do you think?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

I like your ideas, this above though...presumably, if the water, geology, other physical features, perhaps weather conditions etc, do have an effect on the speed and or energy of the wave, then aren't they more likely to meet at a point that isn't opposite from where they started...it presumes symmetry, and while I can see that if the Earth was a perfect sphere the ever increasing radius of the waves would eventually converge on a single point...wouldn't that be highly dependent upon whether the wave had sufficient energy...??? Have you considered that it could be responsive rather than causal? A release of pressure creates a need for a shift in position elsewhere...like a system of connected valves, one goes off, another needs adjusting... Could the patterns be as suggestive of that do you think?

Actually you bring up a good point. I kind of thought of that but always used my antipodal points as a perfect sphere, which we know the Earth isnt exactly. So that may be part of the "general area" problem. I would agree with your assessment as more responsive and the connected valve analogy makes sense. Also, now thinking. With the moons apogee and perigee, and slightly changing the shape of the Earth, would throw the antipodal points off a bit as well? And I have struggled with what the sufficient energy of the wave would have to be and the different kind of waves generated along with depth.

Thank you, see I still have plenty of homework, but keeps me out of trouble

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Likewise
I'm trying to understand things already well out of my comfort zone, molecular chemistry and petrology currently, physics is beyond my comprehension totally, and I am not sure how a wave of any kind would travel around the globe, so do let me know if you work it out.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

Likewise
I'm trying to understand things already well out of my comfort zone, molecular chemistry and petrology currently, physics is beyond my comprehension totally, and I am not sure how a wave of any kind would travel around the globe, so do let me know if you work it out.

May not travel around, may travel through. May not do either one, I dont believe in random coincendences. But quoted by a man ALOT smarter than me:

"for every action (force) in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction."
"every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled to change its state by the action of an external force."

edit on 10-7-2011 by sdebunker because: typo

edit on 10-7-2011 by sdebunker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I would think depth would be a factor, too.

There must be some hot shot statistics sorts of math folks around who could help you do a factor analysis or some such to see.

Say include only quakes of 6.4 or greater;

plus

antipodal sites with known fault systems

plus

a depth of what . . . less than 2 miles? 3 miles? 5 miles?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Retorque

5.2 2011/07/11 15:51:25 -49.977 -113.977 15.9 SOUTHERN EAST PACIFIC RISE

Was this your South Pacific one?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retorque

Well, you said stress building up in the South Pacific, then had the 5.5 at the Southern East Pacific Rise, then not long ago had a 4.5 in Western Turkey. The antipodal point of that quake is the Southern South Pacific Ocean. One was 40 north and one was 49 south. So in the "general area". And you did say before hand the South Pacific, then had a quake. Then 18 minutes later had a quake within the general area of the antipodal point of the South Pacific quake.

5.5 2011/07/11 15:51:24 -49.916 -114.034 10.0 SOUTHERN EAST PACIFIC RISE
4.5 2011/07/11 16:09:12 40.167 30.061 3.8 WESTERN TURKEY

Pretty close and in the area of what we are talking about here. Maybe something, maybe not. Not giving up on it yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join