It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I was physically assaulted by a police officer for video taping..." (According to Reddit)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The post reads:

This occurred the morning of July 9th, 2011, in Minneapolis, MN.
I was sitting on the beach this morning talking to a friend and there was a bunch of other random people there I didn't know...doing their own thing. The police drove in and asked everyone to stay seated or take a seat. It appeared to me that they were using excessive force on a man 15 feet away from me who wasn't resisting. I was just sitting there being compliant and I had my phone on me, so I pulled it out and started video taping. I obeyed all of the officers commands to stay seated (I remained cross-legged on the towel the whole time) and answered their questions calmly. I was behaving in a pleasant manner. I was expecting them to just ask us to leave. The police officer that was arresting the non-resisting man walked over to me and asked me to put my phone away. I didn't because it is not illegal to have a phone or video tape. Twenty seconds later he approached me again and said "Give me the phone." I showed him the phone and pressed the "stop record" button so that he could see and proceeded to put down my phone. While I did this, I said that I felt he had no right to take my phone in a calm, rational manner. He then without warning or engaging in any conversation, grabbed my arm and twisted backwards, flipped me over, kicked my head into the ground (which still is throbbing), and stomped on my back/neck repeatedly. I was then handcuffed and taken to the cop car in which I stated that my head hurt and I was dizzy from my head being kicked several times. I received no medical attention or follow up on my health concerns. I sat in the cop car for about 45 minutes while they investigated the others at the beach. The officers ran my information twice and found no criminal record on me BOTH TIMES. When they let me go with $300 worth of citations (one of them false and without evidence) the officer made a point to say, "I did not use force on you because you were video taping. I did it because you were not obeying my commands." There was only two commands that I did not obey which were...
"Put away your phone."
"Give me your phone."
I just filed my report with the Civilian Police Review Authority. We will see where this goes. My face still feels swollen and I have a scrape on my shoulder from the incident. He also smashed/broke my sunglasses. They gave my phone back to me about an hour after they took it. Unfortunately it was too dark and I was too far away to record what was happening to the man. And the officer only started to assault me immediately after he watched me press "Stop Record" and put down the phone.
Anyone who has met me knows that I am a very rational, level-headed, quiet, non-aggressive, peaceful person that would not provoke another human being. I am also a 115 lb female who lacks muscle and attitude. I believe that I was assaulted and/or a victim of excessive force. The officer was on a power trip and only attacked me because I was video taping. I truly believe that if I hadn't been video taping, I would not have been physically assaulted.
The absolutely absurd part was during the incident (right before the assault). The police officer said "You have every right to video tape us/this...Here I will give you a better angle.." and then immediately after saying that, he said, "Give me your phone."
So basically he said... you have the right to video tape, BUT give me your camera. And if you don't, you are disobeying my commands and I have the right to use force and assault you? HUH? I am so confused...
This is my story.

www.reddit.com...

I'm not sure how true it is...basically because there is no evidence supplied in the post. I just thought ATS would be interested in hearing yet another cop story.

- Drew

Edit: I'd like to add in favor of the person who posted this on reddit. In the comments he seems pretty legit. Then again...anyone can make anything up. It's still horrible that it's believable.
edit on 7/9/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Fixed added clarification.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
First I think what she should of done was gone to the emergency room and got pictures taken of her injuries and then to the police review board. From the sound of things does seem a tad bit excessive and out of line. But, that's MO.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

join