It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First US Jets (for Westpoint)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You asked this question on another thread but never got an answer, so here's what I know.

The first US Jet powered type was the Bell P-59A Airacomet. The P-59 was a different piston engined type so to maintain the secrecy of the new jet it was called the P-59A.

Ostensibly built as a fighter it was really only ever to be used as an experimental type. It was first flown in October 1942 and although it was claimed for many years that it was powered by 'General Electric 1-A' engines based on the British Whittle design the truth is that upon the successful first flight of the Meteor prototype this, in fact, had its engines removed and crated up and sent across the Atlantic in order to allow the early flight of the P-59A. U.S. built engines followed about a year later. Similarly, the aircraft that was destined to be America's first operational jet fighter, the Lockheed P-80, first flew powered by the engine of the DH Vampire prototype. This was only for the first few flights however and all service aircraft had US built engines.

The Bell P-59A - America's first Jet aircraft.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Great Find. In Curtis peebles book "Dark Eagles" there is a picture of this plane draped with a tarp and a false prop sitting on the nose to fool people as to its true nature. The origonal jets came fro a British major who brought one back to the States. Can you imagine if a U-Boat had gotten that ship.....

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. 1942 damn that is quite early we should have used it in the war but hay you cant change history. I think this is the jet that our test pilots would fly in the Nevada desert they would fly these planes next to our rookie pilots and when the new pilots come back to base they though they were seeing thing

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
the US jet program was still in its infancy in 1942 and inferior to the British and the Germans programs. But as we all know it eventually caught up

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Thanks to the Post war treasure from Germany and Japan and some "borrowing" of British tech, our Air Force quickly caught up and surpassed the rest of the world.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yes, Americas huge economy allowed the best ideas from all over the world to be fully exploited while the econonies of the other combatants (including the 'victorious' British) were devastated. By the time the other nations had recovered the US was in a huge lead, Britain never has recovered but Germany and Japan (and now France) all seem to be doing very well, why is that I wonder?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Yes, Americas huge economy allowed the best ideas from all over the world to be fully exploited while the econonies of the other combatants (including the 'victorious' British) were devastated. By the time the other nations had recovered the US was in a huge lead, Britain never has recovered but Germany and Japan (and now France) all seem to be doing very well, why is that I wonder?

Ahem, it called the Marshall Plan......... Pause for aplause.
Your welcome......

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
the US jet program was still in its infancy in 1942 and inferior to the British and the Germans programs. But as we all know it eventually caught up

Infancy?
Seems that those Euro-fans love to claim about the US on alot of issues...."We" were in our infancy...blah, blah....

Couldn't have been but so far in "OUR" infancy, as according to those same Euro fans.....

The idea of a jet engine occurred first to Englishman and aeronautical student Frank Whittle in 1928. By 1937 he was able to demonstrate it in the laboratory, and in 1941 the British Royal Air Force began using its first jet aircraft, the Gloster E.28/39.

The Jet Engine

Won't that far behind.......

seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The U.S. really didn't put alot into aircraft develoment until we started creamed by Axis aircraft. Then the War Dept. figured out that the U.S. was severly behind and went to work. Case in point- the 1st P-51s were dogs until the Brits dropped merlin engines in them. U.S. jets came along thanks to the generous contribution of Frank Whittle and his fabulous British jet turbines.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Infancy?
Seems that those Euro-fans love to claim about the US on alot of issues...."We" were in our infancy...blah, blah....

Couldn't have been but so far in "OUR" infancy, as according to those same Euro fans.....

The idea of a jet engine occurred first to Englishman and aeronautical student Frank Whittle in 1928. By 1937 he was able to demonstrate it in the laboratory, and in 1941 the British Royal Air Force began using its first jet aircraft, the Gloster E.28/39.

The Jet Engine

Won't that far behind.......

seekerof

- You were mate;

America was litterally handed working jet engines, blueprints and the full 'how to'.

The Bell P59 was actually specifically made for fitment of the British jet engines. Enjoy.....

members.tripod.com...

It's true you had you own people theorising the concepts but you were years off of any practical 'jet' without Brit help.

'Infancy' is a kind way of putting it actually.

Ditto radar by the way. We handed you working magnatrons and the full 'how to' for centimetric radar.....centimetric was the breakthrough (even Japan had metric radar at the end of WW2) but centimetric was the really advanced stuff and no-one but the Brits made that.....although the Germans copied it and developed their copies a little - their 'Berlin' radar being a good example.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well said Der Kapitan, but you do understand what my main point is correct? That the US couldn't have been but so far behind, you know the infancy comment made by another poster, when the UK launches it first jet aircraft in 1941 and the US in 1942....

seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I hear ya mate: sminkeypinkey....Norton bomb sights ring a bell in there somewhere?
Infancy is a kind word? LOL....arrogance more like it....

seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Well said Der Kapitan, but you do understand what my main point is correct? That the US couldn't have been but so far behind, you know the infancy comment made by another poster, when the UK launches it first jet aircraft in 1941 and the US in 1942....

seekerof

- Well to a point I get your drift but nevertheless it was handed to you guys on a plate.....we sped your learning along a tad.

Afterall no doubt with a full hand-hold and walk through a B2 and every system on it is easy as pie to the technically litterate.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yes, I think I got it, I guess I meant that the U.S. was progressing, but our planes really hadn't been tried in battle. Not much faith was put into America's airpower by the Gov't and military. Billy Mitchell was court marshalled for his beliefs in airpower. Arrogance or ignorance the U.S. was behind. At first. Ummm...Did I get it?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Yeah, I hear ya mate: sminkeypinkey....Norton bomb sights ring a bell in there somewhere?

- hey, no fair.... it was our German cousins that pinched that one from you guys. Decent bit of kit too I agree.

Infancy is a kind word? LOL....arrogance more like it....
seekerof

- Well if you say so. Personally I think it's just a little bit of fun.....

.....and anyway you don't really go in for all that 'we', 'us' and 'they' stuff over things utterly unconnected with you personally do you?!

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Also does the Swept wing design and the "movable tail" ring a bell? sminkeypinkey do you know who controlled the skies after WWII?
Do you also know who came up with the concept of an Afterburner?

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
'Infancy' is a kind way of putting it actually.

Sminkey it would not be the same without your Euro Baiting. Ah yes in our infancy eh? Anyhoo, still managed to pull your collective cojones out of fire. Otherwise I would need a German translation program to read your post......

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Who had the best bombers during WW2 though they didnt use Jet engines? Not counting the Horton which really had no effect on the war.

The B-17 and then the B-29 were top notch bombers for WW2

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I hate to be a jerk, but since this has turned into a national dick measuring contest I'll whip it out.

So Britain gave us radar- I suppose at least they would have had a sporting chance at not getting microwaved then if we'd decided that nuclear conquest was more appealing than rebuilding the rest of the "first world", but I got a hunch we could have gotten our bombs through

It's OK Britain, we love ya, and as soon as the ACLU bans the Stars and Bars, you'll have the best lookin flag on earth.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Also does the Swept wing design

- er, that was Germany. In Europe.

and the "movable tail" ring a bell?

- we did this just recently on another thread, that was the Miles supersonic project, a British company.

sminkeypinkey do you know who controlled the skies after WWII?

- Yes, The allies. I think your idea that it might have been the USA is a tad redundant? I mean where? They certainly didn't in eastern europe. Anything approcahing the current 'superiority was decades off.

Do you also know who came up with the concept of an Afterburner?

- Yeah, that was those pesky German europeans again. The Junkers Jumo 004E was the first jet engine in the world fitted with an afterburner.

(similarly you'll also find the first turboprops were of German design, Jumo 109 - 022, although obviosly never built)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join