It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you figure out what these are???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I found three in the yard. None near eachother. What are these? One was the size of a golf ball while the others were larger.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd577fbb9ddf.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/100f62e3eddf.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 9-7-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Looks like some sort of fungus

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Looks like some kind of fungi.

But more perspective on the pics would help, they are all so close up...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
moldy dog crap?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
They aren't rocks, right?
If not, I'm with the others, some type of puffball fungus.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Looks like some old dried up pomegranates.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Best guess,, a type of mushroom,, ?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
What kind of conditions did you find them in? general location in the world, Sunny area/shady area, humudity...etc...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

It appears to be some type of 'puff ball' mushroom that I have never seen before.

Looks like it came from someplace really wet. Were they that color when you picked them? Would you mind saying what State of The Union you are in.

Edit:
Now I am not so sure. Would you mind slicing one in half and photographing that? Thanks
edit on 9-7-2011 by Frater210 because: request

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
They were in a sunny location. I bent down and for a split second I thought it was a dogs ball because it was so round but then realized it was a mushroom. Well I assumed it was and pulled it out of the ground. Its firm with a very short stem and nothing but these seeds all in them. The color reminds me of a potato.

I'm in the U.S./TN and its very humid.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by Bachrk

It appears to be some type of 'puff ball' mushroom that I have never seen before.

Looks like it came from someplace really wet. Were they that color when you picked them? Would you mind saying what State of The Union you are in.

Edit:
Now I am not so sure. Would you mind slicing one in half and photographing that? Thanks
edit on 9-7-2011 by Frater210 because: request

They came as balls and I just pulled them open with my fingers to see the inside. Your pretty much looking at the center. Oh and I took the photos about 5 minutes after pulling them up and open. They have a definite skin on them. There's no fans on the underside.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I am so sorry. I can't seem to figure it out, Best as I can tell it is an old puffball mushroom that is well past the point of maturing and giving off its spores and has now developed a secondary fungus as it decays.

Closest thing I can find that is supposed to grow in your area is scleroderma earthstar...

The interior of the thing really throws me, though. I think someone with more knowledge than I is going to have to take a crack at it. Thanks for the fun, though. Have a good weekend. Don't let anybody, especially the dog, eat those things.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
I am so sorry. I can't seem to figure it out, Best as I can tell it is an old puffball mushroom that is well past the point of maturing and giving off its spores and has now developed a secondary fungus as it decays.

Closest thing I can find that is supposed to grow in your area is scleroderma earthstar...

The interior of the thing really throws me, though. I think someone with more knowledge than I is going to have to take a crack at it. Thanks for the fun, though. Have a good weekend. Don't let anybody, especially the dog, eat those things.

Thank you and yes I hope more people speak up on this. The dog will NOT be eating these! They are new as they were not there a few days agi ifthat matters.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
AHA! I think...

Link HERE

Sclerodermatales - basidioma of Pisolithus tinctorius cut open to reveal locules in gleba.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Good Freaking Job, Partner!. We did it together! ATS rules!

Sclerodermatales - basidioma of Pisolithus tinctorius cut open to reveal locules in gleba.

I am so happy. We are taxonomists.

Have a good Sunday.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

lol AND we did it without any arguments or rude behavior!
Just a nice informative post!!!

edit on 10-7-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Those are Reptilian mushrooms!

Ahhhggg!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
Those are Reptilian mushrooms!

Ahhhggg!

LOL My non believer friends said the same thing. They love ribbing me!

edit on 11-7-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join