It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Autogyro or Gyrocopter: Yea or Nay?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I've been studying up on gyrocopters and I would like to get into it and build one for myself. Any members here that are autogyro enthusiasts? Any tips you can give me? Or just some cool stories and/or videos?

I appreciate all the help I can get....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I really used to want one, but then my friends reminded me of how terrifyingly crappy I am at flying a helicopter. Although autogyros and helos are not the same from the piloting point of view, they're probably right.

Then I wanted a powered parachute. I still do. That money's all earmarked for purchasing Chez O'Bedlam, though, it's tough to spend it on fun stuff anymore with that pesky old wife and kids thing.

Of course, if we start another war or two, I'll have lots of discretionary income. What about it, America? Don't leave me without money to blow, kill a commie for mommy!

Truthfully, if you're wanting to tool around with a shorter learning curve and a more forgiving craft, think about a powered parachute. It's not as fast but it's safer.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

A word of caution hehehe , helis are very tricky to learn to fly.

edit on 9-7-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
A friend has one.

You need training by a skilled Gyrocopter pilot as there are a few No Nos in the flight envelope that can and do cause fatal crashes.

My friend use to ride ATVs and dirt bikes in the desert till it got to his back. now he can still explore the desert flying low and slow with out back pain,

but they are safer then like aircraft in the long run.

www.rotaryforum.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Hi CaptChaos,

Those toys never became popular simply because they are death traps. If you want to commit suicide then that is an excellent way to go, and no one would ever expect your intentions, they would just believe you were another casualty.

They are junk, they have no power, there is no protection, if the throttle sticks you are in trouble, if anything else goes wrong you are in trouble, if the wind gusts just a little you will start to flip before you go straight down sideways into the ground.

I could tell you my personal experiences and others but the key is... spend your money on something else that will not kill you. Go buy a used convertible car and spend your time living, instead of wondering if you are going home in a body bag.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Gyroplanes are apparently heaps of fun.

An old engineer friend of mine has one and takes it out every month or so.

From memory his is powered by an 1800 Subaru boxer engine.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Oh, man. but I just love the most adrenaline rush possible.

To me, I just wanna be the guy from Road Warrior.....

I have mastered land and sea, now I must master air.......................

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Oh, and looks like all but one said don't do it

But one guy said go for it!!

And I am!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Gyros can be fun and a modest one shouldn't cost very much to build. Here are some links to get you started:

www.gyroplanepassion.com...

www.homebuilt.org...

www.rotaryforum.com...

But, in the long run, I think a little aerobatic single seat biplane is the way to go. Of course I am not exactly unbiased.

new topics

top topics

join