It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Nile Virus? seems quite selective to me.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If this has been rehashed and trashed- just ignore this post.
I have been bombarded with add campaigns regarding West Nile. It really seems to affect some and not others.
This link is the West Nile home page.
www.cdc.gov...&controlCaseCount03_detailed.htm

If you look at the death rate versus other death rates- let's say accidents (Last year in USA- 264 died from West Nile virus. in 2001 -345 people died from Accidents in ALASKA?!)
This link is of mortality rates in the different states.
www.cdc.gov...

If the death rate were higher you might think someone was trying to selectively kill us all off. Yet when you think about this- don't inoculations, boosters, immunizations also have a chance you can die from them also? It makes me wonder if maybe this is the way to immunize the entire population without our consent AND if that doesn't work lather yourself up with a little DEET and it works the same.

The other thing about this is the *FACT* that there are better insect repellents than DEET, yet in none of the 'adds' do they mention this. If fact they state the opposite- that ONLY DEET products will help you. I find this VERY strange to say the least.

DEET by the way is N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide. Are there any out there who can tell us what exactly this is? (I am no chemist

LO

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Don't know exactly what DEET is (not a chemist here either) but I watched a TV show once (like 20/20 or some such) that talked about young kids dying from the chemical exposure to DEET. Been a long time so details are fuzzy, but it sounded like awful stuff.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well if deet is so safe for all of us to use- read the label one time.
Do not apply to skin, do not apply to children under the age of 6 months.

"There are no specific data on the skin absorption of DEET as a function of age. However, data on skin absorption of similar substances suggest that absorption through the skin would not differ after an infant has reached a month or two of age."

This article is from the American Academy of Pediatricts. (web site www.aap.org... )

Well, I do know PLENTY about chemicals and how they are absorbed into you. Dermal toxicity (through skin) is the #1 toxicity when you are looking at chemicals. Followed closely by inhalation of the chemical. I have taken many MANY courses on pesticides and know that placing a chemical directly on your skin will cause it to be absorbed- period! Our skin is porous.

Now think about when you spray a cloud of it on you and walk into it- you get it in your mucus areas (nose, mouth, eyes), you breath it in (lungs) and get it all over your skin (dermal). If you wanted to absorb something into your body it's just as good to do this as to drink it. Would be a good way to put something forein into the blood stream, wouldn't it?

LO

[edit on 12-8-2004 by LadyOrchid]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Everything you want to know about DEET.

chemistry.about.com...

DEET is absorbed through the skin, so it is important to use as low a concentration as is effective (10% or less for children) and as small an amount as is necessary. Up to a certain point, protection against insects increases with higher DEET concentration, but even low concentrations will protect against most bites. Some people experience irritation or an allergic reaction to DEET-containing products. DEET is toxic and potentially fatal if swallowed, so care should be taken to avoid applying repellent to hands or face or anything a child might put in the mouth. DEET should not be applied to areas with cuts or sores or around the eyes, since permanent eye damage can result from contact. High doses or long-term exposure to DEET have been associated with neurological damage. DEET can damage some plastics and synthetic fabrics, such as nylon and acetate, so be careful not to damage clothing or camping equipment.

new topics

top topics

join