It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Will Be No Galactic Alignment in 2012

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's absurd.
Your theory is based on the erroneous assumption that our solar system is constant and unchanging, that we can look to the distant past or future and predict the unpredictable. Stellarium is flawed at best and relies on highly speculative data, garbage in, garbage out.
Our planet's orbit was recently altered by a simple earthquake, our pole is shifting and climate change is displacing huge amounts of water. One large object with enough mass can alter the orbit of our moon or even the earth, since we have absolutely no idea if or when this could happen it stands to reason we can not predict our location beyond tomorrow.
Far too many people are relying on speculation and flawed data instead of simply observing the changes in the world around them. The overwhelming preponderance of evidence pointing to recent rapid and unprecedented earth changes means you should switch to an etch a sketch for any long term predictions.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Ehem 12 zodiac houses/magnetic field lines on the earth....2160 years each zodiac. =25920...the sun is rotating around too...not just the earth...then get really nuts and realize the galaxy might rotate around something too
....PS the whole system moves around...we are not in the same place every year at the same time...we travel in a spiral and the sun is the center to us only....not flat circles only around the sun... its much much larger scale...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by guessing

Yep and the sad thing is people still want to make appeals to the wisdom of the ancients as if they knew everything there was to know and were so much better than us. Even if that weren't already fallacious reasoning I've yet to come across any actual Mayan Doomsday Prophecy. Just a lot of pseudoscience and a whole flock full of sheep ready to be fleeced by pseudoscientific con-men.

I would welcome someone who actually has evidence of a Mayan Doomsday Prophecy.

It does not exist, so it will never be presented.

There might be a good business in being a pseudoscientific con-man.

edit on 9-7-2011 by guessing because: dislexia

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Stellarium is based on known and verified data. It accurately predicts the positions of the stars and planets. Accurately enough for the purposes I use it for.

Earth's orbit was not altered by an earthquake, an earthquake cannot affect the orbit. It was calculated that the displacement of mass may have altered the tilt of the axis by an amount too slight to be measured, too slight to affect the location of the stars.

The magnetic poles have always been shifting but there is no reason for that to affect the skies.

Yes, water moves around. So does air. This does have very slight effects but over time, the effects (including those of large earthquakes) will tend to balance out, not accumulate. Large earthquakes happen in different locations and move mass in different ways. Water tends to level itself out. Air tends to evenly distribute itself.

Yes, the continents do move and that does result in some real changes but those changes occur over millions of years. We aren't talking about that sort of time span.

Yes, a very large object passing through the Solar System would dramatically affect the orbits of all of the planets. But there is no such thing happening nor has there been for a very very long time. Apparently there is no such object.

It seems that you're making the same point as I am. There is no "alignment" to be expected on 12/21/12. Of course, your reasons are quite different from mine. I say it's because we know what will happen. You say it's because we don't know.

Or are you saying that the Maya somehow knew about all those variables you're talking about? That they somehow took them into account and that they predicted some sort of different sort of alignment on 12/21/12.

edit on 7/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Drala

Ok - I am aware of the basic facts of objects orbiting others.
Apart from you being a few hundred years shy of the 26000 talked about,
what point exactly are you trying to make?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

What you are describing is the galactic plane. It's been a while since I looked up the data for this, but I know we passed through it 3 million years ago, which means we will pas through it again in another 11 million years. Also, it takes much longer than three years to pass through it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Why does this return to the starting point matter? According to the speed our solar system moves and the circumference of the galaxy, we make one revolution every 250 million years. Considering that the galaxy is at least 4.6 billion years old, we have made a lot of revolutions.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok, now some may say I'm being a dick, but think about this. The sun, tracks in a circle around the center of the galaxy, correct? Then isn't it ALWAYS in alignment with the galactic core? lol As Earth is always in alignment with the sun. Just thought I'd should point that out, if anyone hasn't already.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah hem...shame on you!
At least link to a thread detailing "what if or what when".
Reality is far more palatable when seasoned with liberal doses of imagination.

link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Actually he did't say it aligns. It aligns close to the same location every year. Never a direct alignment. In addition, you can't really be that inaccurate for things so massive and slow as the sun and the galaxy.

link   
reply to post by CrashUnderride

Two points make a line but that's pretty silly. An "alignment" would really require at least three. Add Earth and it only happens once a year.

Make that twice; once when the Sun is between the "center" and the Earth and once when the Earth is between the "center" and the Sun.

edit on 7/10/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
So what's the big deal? It happens every year.

Crap.

Now I have to cancel my "End of the World" party.
edit on 10-7-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I fear as more people rely on artificial intelligence as their primary source of information, their ability and desire to observe and deduce will suffer. Those who discover something unusual will deny what their eyes have seen because Stellarium tells them so.
Also,I don't believe the Mayans or their long count calendar predict anything but the end of one period in time. Mayan elders have repeatedly said this isn't the end of the world, just the beginning of a new age of enlightenment.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
And also no planet allignment as the movie 2012 suggests.

source: Live Solar System

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I can't remeber the channel or program that stated this:
On 12-21-12 the Earth will go from the Sun's Northern Hemisphere into the Southern, an event that happens every 25,000 years (the changing of hemispheres), so since the Mayans planted and harvested based on positions of the Sun, Moon, and stars, would it be safe to say that they wouldn't know the alignment of these things due to the Earth's orbit? (I'm just wanting to hear your take on this). Thanks.
Also on the same show, they mentioned this "throne" that is positioned to face right at the Sun when the Earth changes hemispheres.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Look phage, you can't just drag 2c worth of logic, reasoning and science into a thread and expect people to be swayed by your New World Order agenda. 2012 is a supernatural event, for those who vibrate at a higher level than heathens such as yourself. It has been proven by many people's dreams and special herbal concoctions, and apparently even some calenders ending. It is an event you cannot understand, because it is to spiritually vibrant for your limited dense consciousness to perceive, and lower level astral entities already have their claws in your mind. I will send love and light to you so it blasts them off and also u not remain ignoramus green troll, Ok? hehehe Lmao.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

On the contrary. When someone finds something unusual it will not fit what Stellarium tells them.

That is where the discovery lies.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Yahm16

Earth's orbit is inclined about 7º to the Sun's equator. This means is crosses it twice each year; once going "north", once going "south".

The closest cycle to 25,000 years is that of precession but it is closer to 26,000 and has nothing to do with the Sun's hemispheres.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So..........what exactly?

You proved somewhat that an alignment takes place more accurately under the meaning of the word on December 18th and not December 21st.

And?

I'm not questioning you, the screenshots you took or anything else related, I'm just wondering why you focused specifically on the supposed "Mayan prophecy" date. Alignments happen all the time, you said that in your OP but you do realise that even if some people who believed in it before don't argue that it will be on the date we all heard about, they'll now say that TSHTF 3 days earlier than thought. Right? Or won't they?

By posting about it to try and debunk something, you've now given a more accurate date for believers to hang onto instead of leaving the issue well alone. That's why I never venture into the 9/11 forum because I don't believe any of their ridiculous theories and so why waste my time trying to debunk their claims when I could just ignore it? I believe that's what you and other skeptics should do on the 2012 issue.

I'm on the fence on the subject but barely venture into this section mainly for two reasons, believers throwing wild theories about how it'll all go down and skeptics constantly trying to debunk it all. Just let the card carrying believers get on with posting as much as they want about 2012 and then if/when the day and the year pass with no major event, there we go, forum closed and everyone moves on.

Now Phage, please don't take this as an insult because I respect your knowledge but I tend to see the same debunkers hanging around obsessively trying to change people's minds on 2012 almost as if the subject consumes them more than it does the believers and like they won't stop until every 2012 believers agrees with their view.

As I said, leave it alone and it'll eventually go away by itself.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by VinciVirus
And also no planet allignment as the movie 2012 suggests.

big destructive alignment, look at this
ta--- boom

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cde064b6ee54.jpg[/atsimg]

reply to post by curious7

I'm on the fence on the subject but barely venture into this section mainly for two reasons, believers throwing wild theories about how it'll all go down and skeptics constantly trying to debunk it all.

Ok, a star for u curious, this is how I feel actually, I don't really know at all. It will prob be like the Y2K bug, but hey hey who knows... there isn't any scientific evidence for the claims SHTF on that day. This is what your saying, right Phage, that their is really no scientific basis behind planetary alignment affecting earth detrimentally?

edit on 10/7/2011 by Inkrinhuminge because: added something sensible, instead of just funny picture

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join