It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Will Be No Galactic Alignment in 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
There Will Be No Galactic Alignment in 2012.

At least not one that doesn't happen on a regular basis. It's claimed that on December 21, 2012 a very rare event will occur; the Sun will "align" with the center of the Milky Way galaxy causing...something to happen. The trouble is, it is not a rare event. It happens every year.

Sagittarius A* is the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way.

I'll use Stellarium to check the claims of the alignment. Stellarium does not mark Sgr A* but it is located at 17h 45m 40.045s, -29° 0' 27.9". I've marked a star very close to that position. Here are several snapshots of the "alignment" on December 21. First in 2012, and then a couple in the past.
As can be seen, the Sun does not really line up with the center of our galaxy on 12/21/12. Close, but not quite. But what is interesting is that the "alignment" is the same each year.

What about that 26,000 year cycle we hear so much about? Precession. One of the things that is supposed to make 2012 so important. Let's look at a bigger picture in terms of time. [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28ae1075eeb1.png[/atsimg] What happens? The Sun doesn't get any further from the alignment after 2000 years, the only thing that changes is the date on which it occurs. That's what precession does.

One more image. It turns out that the Sun is actually better aligned, closer to, Sgr A* on 12/18/12 than on the 21st. [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f794aee654b.png[/atsimg]

So what's the big deal? It happens every year.

edit on 7/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Throw some change on the floor and see how many alignments you get. It just happens. Very common among scattered objects. Whats the big whoop and what evidence do "believers" have that an alignment of galactic proportions would do anything?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
y2k 2012 all the same. mass fear of events that may or may no occur. we cannot with 100% certainty predict the future.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You would make a horrible politician. You always tell people what they don't want to hear.

I would say, though, that most people who hang their significant hat on the 2012 thange believe that it's strange because the date falls on this alignment. Plus, I think they are expecting some sort of unforeseen phenomenon to alter the outcome. I don't think they are holding their collective breath just because of the annual alignment.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You would make a horrible politician.
I'll take that as a compliment.

From what I've seen most of them are not aware it happens every year.
But why 2012? It was just as aligned last year. Will be this year. Will be in 2013. What is supposed to happen besides...something.

edit on 7/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

From what I understand, What people are calling and alignment is actually a Galactic Conjunction. Is this correct?
I wrote this in one of my threads....

According to the Long Count Calendar, used by the Mayans and other Meso-American Societies, the currant Baktun will end on 12/21/12. The exact time of the Winter Solstice will occur at exactly 11:11 GMT. It is at this time that the Long Count Calendar flips and begins anew. It is believed that this is the alignment of the Earth and Sun to the Galactic center, however This can be observed for 28 years before and 8 years after 2012. What makes this a Special event is that the Sun will appear within one part of the Great Rift that runs along the Galactic Equator held by the Mayans and the Egyptians as the place of rebirth. It will take up to 20 years to travel through this Rift. This will not be a galactic alignment but in actuality a Galactic Conjunction. This is when two objects are aligned from the perspective of Earth. This conjunction will happen for the first time in 26,000 years and will not be impressive at all to witness. Jupiter and Saturn will be in a formation known as a YOD or the finger of God. The question then becomes why 2012? What is so important about it? Why was the calendar set to fall on that year, especially because it is at the ending of the passage through the Galactic Center?

The answer is simple, 2012 is not at all about the conjuncture of the Sun and the Galactic rift. What it is about is that no other year does the Winter Solstice occur at exactly 11:11. How the Mayans knew this was going to be the case is beyond understanding at this point. The Sun goes through magnetic polarity reversals on the average of 11.11 years. Scientists, through Quantum Physics are beginning to understand that this reality is holographic and a intelligently created simulation. 11:11 symbolizes cycles of manifestation and re-manifestation as if following a "Blue Print". Both 2012 and 11:11 are numerical metaphors for the end and a beginning. It is believed to be a "reset button" and the energies of the Universe will again be attuned. It is also believed that for a short period of time a portal will open in the black hole at the center of the Universe releasing enough energy to alter the vibrational frequency of all life in the Universe.
Here... www.abovetopsecret.com...

How close do you think this could be?
edit on 9-7-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

+71 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

First, Stellarium isn't accurate for looking 2000 years in the past, let alone, 26,000 years. So saying that the alignment doesn't change over 2000 years by looking at Stellarium is pointless.
Second, how many times can you contradict yourself? "There will be no galactic alignment in 2012" "Well, actually there will be but it happens every year"
Third, I've never seen anyone say the galactic alignment will directly cause any catastrophe. Every thing I've read says it just represents a spiritual cycle. And most of the people talking about the galactic alignment say it represents change for the better.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You know it seems that despite what is a glaringly obvious fact - the alignment occurs yearly - people still cling to it like its a once in a 26000 year occurrence.
Really makes me wonder why? Why are people clinging to this incident - is there a hope something will happen? Do people tire of the mundane so much they actually want to see some global cataclysm? That is the impression I get - not just with this topic, but other things like
-Nbiru/Elenin etc
Yellowstone
Global uprising
World War 3
NWO
Webbot "forecasts"
No matter what solid evidence or downright clear dismissal of their points are put down - makes no odds

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
That is funny that you can see the center of the Galaxy! All I see is a "bullseye" proposition!

Why not move the bullseye over the Sun?

When I look into the Milky Way, I cannot see the bullseye!
I went out there and looked and it is not there!

Oh that is right, it is a hypothetical bullseye! Conveniently placed I assume!

Good one Phage, you saved humanity with a Bullseye!

edit on 7/9/2011 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

what program are you using for this?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This is the same thing all the physicists and astronomers have been trying to tell everyone.
Happy to see a thread about it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

So what's the big deal? It happens every year.

THIS time there are a lot more people paying attention.

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No disrepect phage but the Maya new about the centre of the universe the hunab ku ,also the 144 million yr cycle of our solar system round the milky way,the 26 000 thousand yr prossesional cycle, and much more, I know who I trust why is it in this modern age we consider sciencetists and astrominers know everything well they clearly don't in light of recent discoveries so I'll choose to believe the Maya thanks, your knowledge is extensive maybe but they new more and worked it out a long long time ago, long before you where even born, there is more to this world than meets the eye as you probably know, anyway I await the bashing as you have a lot of respect on here and I am old enough to take a bit of flak lol

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sorry Phage,

Seriously, I walked around the block, well what I consider a block, and I thought about my words towards your thread.

I was hasty in my assessment! It could very well be that there is no Galactic Alignment between the Earth, the Sun, and the Center of the Milky Way, but we are in the center of the Rift in as much as we will be until we begin to reside on the opposite "plane" that we have resided in for the past 20,000 or so years. Everything aligns to the center at any perspective but what you are saying is there will be no Grand Alignment!

Does that warrant a discrediting of anything "doomy" or "gloomy"? Not really, because there could be a Gravity Well between us and this Centrally located Sagittarius A Black Hole which distorts our perspective. Because there is a Highly Magnetized Interstellar Cloud ready to consume our Solar System (consume means infiltrate, move through, etc), and because we are all forcibly making it happen!

So I do owe you an apology, I asked you previously not to pick on me and here I went and picked on you! I am sorry! You are right, your Stellarium is correct! See you on the other side!

My own thoughts are that we just spent 20,000 plus years beating each other down, it is time to spend the next cycle of 20,000 plus years lifting each other up instead!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I guess you missed this part.

There Will Be No Galactic Alignment in 2012. At least not one that doesn't happen on a regular basis.

He didn't contradict himself and all he did was use stellarium to show nothing special happens in 2012.

+42 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

1 Why are all ancient cultures liars ?
2 Who was alive to observe these events you or them ?
3 Which society is more trustworthy ?
4 Which society made the observations first ?
5 How many times has modern science been wrong ?
6 How many times have things had to be revised ?
7 What do long dead men have to gain from lying ?
8 What do the governments have to gain from hiding the truth ?
9 Why are near earth objects that could potentially hit the earth now top secret ?
10 Why would TPTB be want to hide the facts in relation to 9 ?
11 Why all the D.U.M.B bases being built ?
12 Why have they built the seed fault ?
13 Has NASA ever been found to got anything wrong or misled the public ?
14 What gives modern man the right to dismiss everything are ancestors knew to be true stone henge tia wachan pyramids all have astronomical alignments so clearly they knew a thing or two ?
just some stuff I was pondering sorry about the spelling lol

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bauldrick

I know who I trust why is it in this modern age we consider sciencetists and astrominers know everything well they clearly don't in light of recent discoveries so I'll choose to believe the Maya thanks,

I see this kind of ignorance all the time. You're going to take the word of people who believed in a feathered serpent God over the word of scientists who spent a lifetime learning this stuff? Scientists standing on the shoulders of giants using objectively verifiable science to come to conclusions are less trustworthy to you than the superstitious ancients? I mean don't get me wrong the Mayans were fairly advanced and all and they could do maths fairly well but there's a limit to what the ancients knew.

14 What gives modern man the right to dismiss everything are ancestors knew to be true stone henge tia wachan pyramids all have astronomical alignments so clearly they knew a thing or two ? just some stuff I was pondering sorry about the spelling lol

First off no one is dismissing everything the Mayans knew to be true. Second of all I've seen no evidence that the ancient Maya actually had a prophecy related to 2012, everything I've heard about 2012 comes mostly from folks attempting to make a buck off the gullible with pseudoscience, and those that bought into their ideas of course. It's amazing that all the OP did was show that there's no special catastrophic galactic alignment coming and the conclusion you've jumped to is that OP has declared ALL of the ancients liars AND dismissed everything they knew.

Just some stuff I was pondering

As for the OP, Phage, you didn't have to go to all that trouble. I mean if it was me I would have just posted a video of Neil Degrasse Tyson explaining that the so-called "galactic alignment" takes place every year and called it a day.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Thankyou for proving the arrogance of this modern society we inhabbit why did you choose to ignore so many of the questions?

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bauldrick

1 Why are all ancient cultures liars ?

The ancient cultures are not the liars; the people who make things up and ascribe them to ancient cultures are the liars. Cagliostro was the first to claim he could read unknown mysteries in Egyptian "Heiroglyphicks." He was such a liar.

2 Who was alive to observe these events you or them ?

Thanks to records like the Dresden Codex, we actually know what the ancient Mayans actually knew and believed. It is in drastic conflict with what the 2012 prophets claim.

3 Which society is more trustworthy ?

Not the one that ripped the still beating heart out of human beings to appease the Jaguar Sun God!

4 Which society made the observations first ?

Which observations? The early systematic astronomical observations were made by the Akkadians. We have their records. They only knew of the five "naked eye" planets, the Sun and the Moon. They knew nothing of the structure of the Solar System or Galaxy.

5 How many times has modern science been wrong ?

More to the point, how many times have the "ancient civilizations" been right? The Mayans didn't even have the wheel. The Babylonians thought the world was flat.

6 How many times have things had to be revised ?

Whenever necessary.

7 What do long dead men have to gain from lying ?

Nothing; it is the charlatans who invent fairy tales and ascribe them to long dead people unable to defend themselves who make a fortune selling bogus books.

8 What do the governments have to gain from hiding the truth ?

Actually, that's a question you need to ask yourself. They're hiding plenty, but not about ancient civilizations or astronomy.

9 Why are near earth objects that could potentially hit the earth now top secret ?

It's not; it's data about meteors already burning up in the atmosphere gathered by spy satellites that has been re-classified.

10 Why would TPTB be want to hide the facts in relation to 9 ?

11 Why all the D.U.M.B bases being built ?

What DUMB bases? Presumably some of them areto provide shelter against nuclear attacks.

12 Why have they built the seed fault ?

Because of a marked decrease in biodiversity. It is hoped that preserved strains can be used to revitalize the ecosphere if necessary.

13 Has NASA ever been found to got anything wrong or misled the public ?

About what? Accounting and contract deals or engineering and science. Be specific.

14 What gives modern man the right to dismiss everything are ancestors knew to be true stone henge tia wachan pyramids all have astronomical alignments so clearly they knew a thing or two ?

Our ancestors certainly did know a thing or two; they were brilliant. Unfortunately there are charlatans who are claiming they said things they didn't, essentially making liars out of people no longer around to defend themselves!

just some stuff I was pondering sorry about the spelling lol

No problem.

edit on 9-7-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

No we don't know what they believe the dresdon codex is incomplete and only have the last 4 which relates to a time in there future
The maya refute the fact that they where blood thirsty and claim the spanish porposely spread these lies to justify what they did mainly slaughter a whole race of people and steal there wealth
The Mayan calender more accriate than any that came after even the one we use yeap year anyone
There mathematical knowledge was pheunominal considering no computors or calculators what blood thirsty savages sat there with fingers working out pressessional cycles

sorry but there is alot about ancient culture that is missing they where clearly in some area's of there life way more advanced than what we are there are too many unexplained mysteries as to and why these cultures knew what they did

If you are unaware of the D.U.M.B bases seed vault research
as I said it is rather arrogant to dismiss there knowledge off handedly and to use the lies of the last 1000 years to justify dismissing there knowledge is folly

you all say there is no allignment but then say it happens every december which is it ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join