It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The Voice?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
All,

I don't mind homosexual's, don't agree with it but hey what people do behind closed doors is none of my business.

However, I like to watch my television (of which a few programs include Gay presenters/interviewees/host's) and I'd like to know why Gay men need to put on "that" voice?!?!

You know exactly what I mean, the high pitched, girly screaming tone...

I just don't get it!

Again, no offence to homosexuals (not got a problem with the majority of you at all) but still why the flaming voice?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
They want to distinguish themselves from the other men, that would be my opinion. But I am not gay nor do I even know any gay persons around my area.

In my opinion gays distinguish themselves enough most of the time without changing their voice. You do not see lesbians trying to talk like Vin Diesel.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Gay people are just like the rest of us.

Some of them are just annoying.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

As you may suspect, DeathKron, the Gay accent, or what is known as 'Camp', is an affectation that is a product of social reproduction.

Why social reproduction? Because the same model that includes social reproduction also models social currency or what has been termed 'doxa'. Doxa is the lifeways and ways of being that we learn from those we wish to (or need to) emulate, and in order to function in those desired circles we need some kind of 'currency' to remain solvent.

These 'currencies' are often represented by affectations of speech or other modalities of communication and expression that are socially acceptable in ones social circle or, 'Field of Operation'.

So you can now see that this is true for us all, as we try to spend what social currencies we have accumulated on remaining fixed and functional in our chosen (or sometimes not so chosen) fields of operation.

I do it. You do it. We all do it.

Don't let it bug you.

Pierre Bordieu: en.wikipedia.org...

Doxa tends to favor the particular social arrangement of the field, thus privileging the dominant and taking their position of dominance as self-evident and universally favorable.

Pierre Bordieu. 1 August 1930 - 23 January 2002.

Thanks for the OP.

edit on 9-7-2011 by Frater210 because: Some Pierre. I love you, Pierre, Rest in Peace OPK.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Normally I wouldnt touch this With a 10ft pole ,but it seems to me that this voice just screams LOOK AT ME !
Just a call for attention ..kind of like throwing their lifestyle in your face

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Based on your avatar photo, and assuming that is actually you... sorta a "pot calling the kettle..." well, you know.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sokpuppet
Based on your avatar photo, and assuming that is actually you... sorta a "pot calling the kettle..." well, you know.

LMAO

I look Gay to you? Seriously???

P.S. To add, when could you hear my voice through a digital picture?

edit on 10/7/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I had this convo just last week. I work with autistic children and an older boy, whom I used to teach years ago, came back to visit the school. He is 16 and has left school to take up dance and drama. I was shocked to here him talk in the camp voice and his mannerisms were feminine. At 8,9 and 10 he wasn't like this at all. I asked the question of whether he is emulating gay people he mixes with or whether it part of being gay. I know other gay men who don't do this particular talk and mannerisms. This really intrigued me so I would like answers too.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
They want to distinguish themselves from the other men, that would be my opinion. But I am not gay nor do I even know any gay persons around my area.

In my opinion gays distinguish themselves enough most of the time without changing their voice. You do not see lesbians trying to talk like Vin Diesel.

Although funnily enough, Vin Diesel is rumoured to be one of the top Hollywood action stars afraid to come out of the closet in case it affects his career.

I really don't know though. I've known and been friends with gay people since childhood and while not all had that distinguishing vocal characteristic, there were always traces of it.

Could it be a testosterone thing that stops some gay men from having normal, regular voices?

(I say some because Sir Ian McKellen, Derren Brown and several other famous gay men don't have "the voice")
edit on 11/7/2011 by curious7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Not sure to be honest guys, like I said I don't have a problem with people being Gay. What they do in their sex life is none of my business...

But I seriously can't stand the high pitched "queer" squeak/accent, "Hey youuuuuuu!, how have you been babeeeees?"

No need for it what so ever.

I understand that some chaps will have a naturally higher pitched voice than others, but there's an obvious correlation between "that voice" and gay men.

All I can assume is that it's put on for effect, in an attempt to make it known to others they are gay?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

On a similar topic, I do know that my own accent changes depending on who I'm talking to. If I speak to family or certain friends I end up talking more in my native accent in comparison say to the way I'd speak to a colleague at work.

Maybe Gays speak like that when speaking to (who they assume) heterosexuals, not sure....

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I know many gay men and some have 'that voice' and some do not. I have had a variety of different answers regarding this. Some men say that they feel more in-touch with their feminine side, some say that they've always talked like that but had to sound masculine growing up to avoid ridicule. Some men use 'that voice' to distinguish themselves from other gay men in the community where certain gay men like to go for a 'twinkie'. I am not answering on behalf of everyone, but these are some of the reasons I have been given from my gay men friends.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Not sure to be honest guys, like I said I don't have a problem with people being Gay. What they do in their sex life is none of my business...

But I seriously can't stand the high pitched "queer" squeak/accent, "Hey youuuuuuu!, how have you been babeeeees?"

No need for it what so ever.

I understand that some chaps will have a naturally higher pitched voice than others, but there's an obvious correlation between "that voice" and gay men.

All I can assume is that it's put on for effect, in an attempt to make it known to others they are gay?

Like valley-girl slang, and every blonde stereotype in a movie, it may be just that - to let others know that you are gay (meaning that everything you do is going to further perpetuate that stereotype). Everyone is different. Some people are flamboyant!
edit on 12-7-2011 by beauty from pain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join