It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. woman has submitted 1,862 job applications to no avail

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Want a job?

Go to a place you WANT to work, and talk to a manager. Tell him you want a job and will begin immediately.

Show that you want the job, not need the job. Management likes positive energy, not desperation and pessimism.

Bring a copy of your resume with your contact details, and maybe documents like SS card, BC and abstract.

Either they'll hire you on the spot, or tell you to walk, or tell you to come back another time.

If they tell you they'll think about it just go looking for something else. don't bother waiting around.

I've only been turned down once, trying to apply at a Costco, but everywhere else, I've gotten hired on the spot.

You won't be doing this 1,862 and still be without a job.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by here4awhile

With centralized and vended HR, in many, many places there isn't even anywhere to "go to." If you want a job at Home Depot, you can't go to your local Home Depot. All they do is tell you to apply online, and unless you know someone who works for them really well, you're SOL. About the only way to get a job today is to know someone, but even then, if you're of a certain age or credit rating or are currently unemployed, good luck.
edit on 7/9/2011 by ~Lucidity because: fixed messed up reply-to tag...

This is definitely a problem in this day and age, where many of the larger companies rely strictly on hiring through an online application system, and offer no alternatives or loopholes for getting you employed.

If the company operates on this premise, go somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Really? In that case I'll bring my family of four over. just because you guys will pay so much for me I love brits lol...

On a side note I have a lot of family in Ireland, Town near Shandon I think some one told me they were in government

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
she should come to england... we give away houses, money and free health care to people from all over the world..
she doesnt need a visa or permit.. just turn up at our door, saying she is being persecuted in her own country and is afraid to go back... and we will give her a life of relative luxury free of charge, courtesy of the british taxpayer..

Our system really does suck.

I can't help but think there is more to this... I have only had one job that I didn't actually get after getting to the interview stage, but then again I know how to talk to people and tell them what they want to hear

Maybe she should have stayed in school

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Usually in situations like these she is being picky. She's a secretary and an old one at that so she isn't that marketable in an overcrowded field.

She probably is too proud to take a job at mcdonalds and would rather live off the government.

She get's no sympathy from me whatsoever.

Hail Bushla!

Wealth, worship, the poor are just lazy
Throw em in a hole and set em on fire

Hail!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tachalka

Originally posted by Misterlondon
she should come to england... we give away houses, money and free health care to people from all over the world..
she doesnt need a visa or permit.. just turn up at our door, saying she is being persecuted in her own country and is afraid to go back... and we will give her a life of relative luxury free of charge, courtesy of the british taxpayer..

Our system really does suck.

I can't help but think there is more to this... I have only had one job that I didn't actually get after getting to the interview stage, but then again I know how to talk to people and tell them what they want to hear

Maybe she should have stayed in school

Maybe she should starve, be cut with paper and quasi drowned in
Lemon juice. Slather her in pigs blood and unleash hungry pitbulls upon her.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I love how we try to turn not getting jobs into a gender issue? theres plenty of men who dont have jobs, and cant get jobs, and matter of fact, the majority of people in college are women.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
To those who say she should be working at McDonald's is dead wrong as an Admistrative Assistant means she is overqualified to work at a fast food joint for minimum wage. She is college or trade school educated. No college or even HS is required to work fast food.

She should've gotten a hit by now.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I have been laid off several times in my life, and it usually took me about 8 months to get another job - and that was applying for 4 - 5 jobs a week....and I was younger then. But I have to agree, when I read the article I wondered if she had pinpointed her search. As a manager who interviews people for jobs, I can see by the calibur of resumes I received for an entry level job recently that some people are just sending out resumes at whatever job...example: for an entry level clerical position I received resumes from lawyers, professors, nurses...

I also agree that you cant just send an online resume.....you have to go out there and work it- call the employer or go to the employers place of business, and also network, and also be doing things to make your self stand out from other candidates, either thru certifications, additional classes, and even volunteer work while your looking for a job.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I'll say it again: companies are streamlining by requiring people who can do more than just one job. Many disciplines are being combined. For example: It used to be that you had a graphic designer,a copywriter and a sales person. Some companies now look for people who can do do all three.

On top of all that,technology makes it tough for older people to remain relevant as offices change continually based on tech and efficiency improvements (think Six Sigma).

There are jobs that aren't ever coming back as we are faced with increasing technological displacement and an ever-changing global business landscape. This woman is a victim of not her age but the changing times and the burdens that competition create.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I am in the UK and I have been unemployed for 6 months. I am 53, female, and I have a criminal record. I worked for a pizza delivery franchise and was 'let go' in January after working for them for more than 7 years. I was the longest serving employee there, and I was also the eldest. I lied to get the job by not disclosing my criminal record, I felt bad that I had to be dishonest with my boss to get an honest job. Before this I was a widowed housewife and mother.

I would have thought that with 7 years experience in a pizza store I would easily get a job in McD's, BK or KFC or the like - WRONG. With 7 years experience I can't even get past the application stage. They don't want me
They only want young people. Many employers are age-ist - If they aren't, then why do they ask for your age or D.O.B. at the application stage? What does your age have to do with whether you are able to do the job or not?

I'll tell you why they ask for your age on job applications - they would have to pay me National Minimum Wage of £5.93 per hour, but they only have to pay 16-17 year old applicants £3.64 per hour.
edit on 10-7-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My uncle is one of these 99ers and he is sure depressed. He used to be a hard-working man with his own roofing biz but when the housing bust went south he lost everything.

The biggest change for me is the way he looks. He looks like he's aged 10 years in the past 2. Used to be a very energetic, exciting, dynamic man, full of energy, outgoing and confident. Now at the family gathering on the fourth of July last week, he was like a shadow of his former self, withdrawn, shy smile, looks like he lost weight.

This is destroying people's self image and self-perception.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I am going to speak up and admit that I would eat a bullet before working at a McDonald's or any of the like or ilk of those kind of "Service" jobs!!! Not ashamed to admit it, successful people do not undersell themselves they do not lower their standards. Did none of you watch that movie with Will Smith, "Pursuit of Happyness"? Do you know one Wall streeter that would EVER consider working ANY menial job like that? HELL NO!!!! These defeatist attitudes I see here are deplorable. Even at sixty, does she really have to degrade herself? Should SHE??? HELL NO!!!!
On my behalf though I will say I am furthering my education and I am almost done and I will NOT take a job in anything not directly related to what I am going to be recieving my degree in (I.T), sorry I will not degrade myself nope. You see, an employer wants to see ambition, they don't want to see someone coming in all giving up on themselves saying "I can't get a job in the field I am well versed in, so I have lowered my standards to come here" NO! An employer wants to see GUMPTION.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join